News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Drumit 5 in the US?

Started by sugiken, June 29, 2010, 10:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sugiken

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, and I am very interested in getting the amazing open system e-kit. Yet I still have a couple questions, and I'm sure people have asked already on the forum (but I can't find the answer as of now June 2010):

1. When will Drumit 5 be distributed in the US????
2. IF it's not any time soon, what is one good way of getting it (new) internationally?

Thanks a lot,
To

a700256

You can do what I did and search ebay. If you do, you will see dealers typically in the U.K. that will ship you a kit VAT free for around $2K. If you wait for an official distribution channel in the U.S. it may take quite a while, due to the competition (i.e. Roland, Alesis, etc) making it difficult for 2box to sell their kit and possibly stealing a good share of the the market due to their price point and outstanding features. Bottom line: by the time 2box get permission by the FTC to set up a distribution channel here in the U.S., they will have been out of business five years earlier

sugiken

Thanks a700256. Indeed this kit might be "too" competitive in the US. Does anyone know if the product will be under warranty if I purchase it internationally?

a700256

The support after the sale is one of the perks that 2box is know for, especially on this forum. If something unexpectedly happens to your kit, this forum is a great resource for resolution. In addition, there are moderators on this forum that have the ear of the 2box folks, so you should feel confident in your purchase. I would stop worrying about the warranty and instead, figure out how to get a kit shipped to your door. If things don't work out for some reason, you could always put the kit on ebay and get you money back and since you are in the states, you might even make a profit on the sale!!!!

1ena

Quote from: a700256 on June 30, 2010, 11:53:54 AM
by the time 2box get permission by the FTC to set up a distribution channel here in the U.S., they will have been out of business five years earlier

Not that it's important, but:

The FTC doesn't have anything to do with allowing foreign companies to set up distribution channels. In the USA, the holdup for 2box likely is related to patents -- the speculation is that 2box is unwilling (or unable) to pay licensing fees for mesh heads and other Roland patents. Otherwise, the US government doesn't present extraordinary hurdles to entry for foreign companies.

Thanks for posting the info. I've seen UK Ebay listings and wondered if they'd ship to the USA....

Kyrrinstoch

Quote from: a700256 on June 30, 2010, 11:53:54 AM
If you wait for an official distribution channel in the U.S. it may take quite a while, due to the competition (i.e. Roland, Alesis, etc) making it difficult for 2box to sell their kit and possibly stealing a good share of the the market due to their price point and outstanding features.

I think the big problem isn't so much that it's "too competitive", but that it's too new a company/product line in a niche that's already very competitive for sales floor and inventory space (Yamaha, Roland, Alesis, Pearl, Simmons and ddrum again...all we're missing now is Tama and Dynacord  ;D..) After all, if you're running a shop and already have a selection of slow moving products, why would you add more inventory to that, even if it is a better product?

Combine that with the very large market that the US has for musical instruments of any type, and you also need some very solid product distribution and support capability. Perhaps 2Box simply isn't ramped up enough to handle the addition of such a large market yet?

Regardless, I'm eagerly awaiting the availability of them here. As much as I could readily order one from overseas, I am not comfortable with the idea of having to make an international phone call to find out what to do if there's a problem with the setup.

sugiken

Quote from: Kyrrinstoch on July 12, 2010, 03:57:34 PM
I am not comfortable with the idea of having to make an international phone call to find out what to do if there's a problem with the setup.

I'm not familiar with seeking telephone support for e-drums since I never own one. But I never seemed to get any good and CONVENIENT telephone support here in the U.S. with my previous acoustic kits (DW and Tama). In fact, I think the 2BOX forum here is pretty informative :)

I just ordered a DRUMIT 5 kit from Studioxchange in UK. LOOKING FORWARD TO MY ACOUSTIC-TO-ELECTRONIC CONVERSION!!!

a700256

When I first came across the 2box Drummit 5 kit about a year ago in one of the music magazines, the first thing that I did is ask my local music store if they could get me one. My local music store is one the bigger players in the industry and they personally know the other owners of the bigger chains like Guitar Center, Mannys, etc. This is in addition to knowing CEO's from manufacturers like Peavy, etc. With all of their contacts and pull in the industry and after trying for several months, they were unable to get one for me here in the U.S. When I asked about what is causing the problem, they mentioned something about Roland and Alesis causing 2box to go through hurdles to get a pipeline established here in the U.S.

It is true that the demand here in the U.S. would be very high, but it would probably be handled like it was all over the world. with dealer waiting lists, so that should not be too much more of a problem form the 2box perspective. So, if the FTC has nothing to do with it, as you suggest, it still begs the question as to why 2box still does not have a U.S. distributor, going on 2 years after the initial product announcement? If mesh head patents are a problem, they can be switched to standard batter heads, which is a selling point with the 2box kit.

Based on the lack of action from 2 box in addition to what I was told, I think the FTC must still be involved to some extent with Roland and Alesis in protecting their turf from a political plane. If not, then why would 2box delay the establishment of a US distributor in one of the largest markets of consumer goods in the world???

1ena

I had that thought also -- why don't they just ship with Mylar heads? Or even just sell the modules without the rest of the kit?

But the mesh-head-patent issue is very real. Look at Pintech -- they've stopped selling their mesh heads, and other manufacturers, like Drum-Tec, aren't available in the US either.

Quote from: a700256 on July 12, 2010, 05:32:03 PM
Based on the lack of action from 2 box in addition to what I was told, I think the FTC must still be involved to some extent with Roland and Alesis in protecting their turf from a political plane. If not, then why would 2box delay the establishment of a US distributor in one of the largest markets of consumer goods in the world???

The FTC simply isn't involved in these kinds of matters. They have a two-pronged mission: consumer protection (such as prosecuting fraud, identity theft, and phishing crimes) and ensuring fair competition (such as prosecuting antitrust violations and approving mergers). 2box clearly isn't defrauding anyone and they clearly aren't a monopoly, so why would the FTC prevent their entering the US market? If anything, 2box would increase competition, improving the fairness of the marketplace, which the FTC is intended to promote. If Roland and Alesis are trying to muscle out 2box, that's borderline illegal. I'm not saying that isn't happening -- but remember, Roland is a Japanese company -- why would the US gov't. be protecting Roland?

a700256

I think you are looking at this from a theoretical angle, and in that world, what you are stating is probably true. However, most, if not all of us do not live in that world and things happen with government involvement, that does not always make much sense. The gulf oil spill is probably the best example of what I am trying to convey. From a logical and fiscal point of view, it does not make any sense for 2box not to sell or set up a distribution channel in the U.S., considering the enormous financial gain that could be achieved. If the FTC has nothing to do with impeding their start in the U.S. and if the competition is not doing anything to stop them, then why the delay or the avoidance of selling their products in the U.S.? Even if limited inventory quantities were still an issue, the best thing that a new start-up company could wish for, is very strong demand for their product. This is evidenced by the long waiting lists from dealers all over the world. It does not make any sense logically , financially or otherwise, unless something is going on behind the scenes and based on our current political climate, I am placing my bet on that thought!

Insider

Hi to you all

I am connected to the 2Box company. I wish to convey the reason 2Box has not setup distribution in the USA at this time. There is no government body, or any other issue for that matter stopping us from setting up distribution in the USA. We will, if everything goes to plan, have an office setup by early spring 2011. We apologise for the delay, we view America as a very important market for 2Box. Many Americans and other nationalities have already bought there kit from Europe.
         Do not fear buying the product from a European dealer. Should you have any issues, they will be sorted out for you. This forum is very, very good, and there are many informed people here that will help you should you have a problem.
         The biggest problem 2Box has is demand. We have been taken completely by surprise by just how many drummers want the true sound of 2Box. This is the only reason for us not supplying the USA at this time. I will do my best to give you honest answers where I can, to anyones questions.
          We would like to thank everyone for the brilliant support we have received, and I can certainly let you know we are not resting on our laurels, in continuing to develop this great system.

a700256

Hello and thanks for shedding some light on this mystery. My skeptical side is still wondering if what you are stating will eventually come true? I was seriously involved in trying to procure a kit last year at this time and exhausted all of my local resources in attempting to do so. During that time, I heard the same line about setting up a US distributor in spring of 2010 and that time has come and gone, which makes me think that the same thing will also happen again next spring??? I have since acquired a kit from a U.K. dealer (Studio Exchange) on ebay and everything worked out in the long run, even after several months of shipment delays from 2box.

The only outstanding issue that I currently have is getting an extra cymbal pad and arm for my kit. I am not sure why 2box did not include it in their original release, when all of the NAMM videos of the prototypes showed three cymbal pads and three arms, along with the fact that the brain also has an extra cymbal pad input??? I have a standing order in with my U.K. dealer, however it is a hit and miss proposition in getting the timing right when placing a spare parts order with 2box. I would appreciate any help that you could provide in making this happen real soon!!!

Kyrrinstoch

Quote from: Insider on July 15, 2010, 12:57:21 PM
         The biggest problem 2Box has is demand. We have been taken completely by surprise by just how many drummers want the true sound of 2Box. This is the only reason for us not supplying the USA at this time.

As I suspected - demand in the current markets is higher than they anticipated, which is resulting in the current waiting lists. I can completely understand not moving into another (much larger) market until the existing demand can be met. It makes more sense to not serve a particular market than to try and fall short, alienating the customers in it because you can't handle the demand.

While a little disappointing for me, I'm still planning on waiting anyways. I need to see how well the rubber pads work (I hate mesh heads and LOVE positional sensing, which the rubber heads supposedly will support) as well as want to see the sound/kit editor refined and more fully featured.

Evy

I suspected demand was the issue. 2Box can't complain about that!  The wait is worth it, this is best e-kit I've ever played.  Sounds/tracking etc...money!
You could try coming through Canada wher I am.  Long and McQuade can get the kit in but I'm not sure how long it would take.  I am in Vancouver and my local miraculously had a kit...although it may be the only one in western Canada.  I paid 25 hundred all in.  And there is now power conversion to worry about.  Not sure what duty you would have to pay to ship it to the states...the greenback is worth more than our dollar anyways.

Willyvee

Sorry to bump an old old thread, I just wanted to mention that I finally see one source in the USA for 2box- I was browsing ebay the other day and stumbled across an auction for a new 2box kit- it was through cymbalism music- pretty cool!