News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

MIDI in ?

Started by Sylv1co, October 30, 2018, 11:24:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sylv1co

Hi all, I will probably go for a DI3 module but I would like to get some answers to be sure it's the module I need.

1) Can I trigger sounds loaded in the DI3 from midi in ? I hope so, then are those sounds need to be assigned to a pad ? Or can we trigger a "percussion set" like on Roland gear ?
2) is there a "local control ON/OFF" setting like on Roland gear ? If set to off, the midi datas generated by the DI3 itself are not sent to the DI3 "sound module" but only to the midi out (or USB).
3) Can we use choke with the midi in ? Meaning that the Aftertouch received by midi in will stop the assigned sound ?

Thanks a lot for your futur answers

Jman

The answer to no. 1 is: There is no additional "Percussion" MIDI group in the 2Box modules. That means for example if you are using all the inputs already for your drums and cymbals adding a MIDI device like an Alesis iO or DDTI would not work for adding more triggers/pads etc.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

zmickles

Quote from: Sylv1co on October 30, 2018, 11:24:56 AM
Hi all, I will probably go for a DI3 module but I would like to get some answers to be sure it's the module I need.

1) Can I trigger sounds loaded in the DI3 from midi in ?

I often use MIDI in to a Drumit 5 and trigger the sounds in it from a Roland Handsonic HPD-10 which works well mostly.

But it's tricky, as 2box D5 does not use a standard MIDI map. Can't speak for D3, perhaps someone else can help?

Also, one cannot select cymbal bow, or closed hats, in D5. I had to find some cym bows and hats on the net, then covert them to .dsnd format in the editor. But all drums, congas, tablas, etc work well when played from the Handsonic.

Hope this helps.   

Sylv1co

Thanks Jman, that's clear now.
I found the answer of my second question in the manual of the DI3 : local can be set to off.

Thanks too zmickles, I think you should be able to trigger any sound you want with your Handsonic : midi note that are transmitted by the handsonic are setable, and sounds in the DI5 should be assigned to the desired Midi notes. Though I found in the DI3 manual that bow, edge and bell midi notes must be set to 1/2 tone gap (exemple : bow C1, edge C1#, bell D1, and choke D1#).

Sylv1co

About choke via midi : I'm sure it's possible, I've seen a demo vid of the Trapkat that use the DI3 and it is said that cymbals are chokable.

But in the manual of DI3, I found that there's a midi note for choke function. Maybe I'm dreaming, but is this note can in the same time trigger a mute tail sound like on Superior 2 (and 3 I assume) ?

Can't the choke be triggered by an aftertouch like on a Roland module ?