News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Adding multi-track output to Drum It 5? ADAT/SPDIF??

Started by peanutismint, September 27, 2018, 05:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanutismint

This might be a dumb question but....is there any way to modify my Drum It 5 to allow for multi-track output over a single cable, like some way to patch into the audio outputs and connect them to an A/D convertor that I could install inside the Drum It that would come out as ADAT or SPDIF?? Or is that wishful thinking??

edtc

First , SPDIF is stereo only  ... multitrack is possible with ADAT .

2BOX dont offer an internal  ADAT card , and i dont think it s possible ( or really useful ) to add one .

Gears that have an ADAT out are sending the digital out directly , without an extra A/D conversion ... they also have a digital input so you can sync the device with your audiocard ...

If you really need digital out , it s more simple to buy a A/D converter in a 1/2 rack or rack format to plug the DI5 ... or to go directly into a multitrack soundcard ...

peanutismint

Thanks for the reply; yeah I figured a full size A/D would be my best solution, but I already have a 1U Behringer ADA8000 and it's just too big to lug around, so I was really hoping for a smaller solution, especially as, with the 2Box outputting at line level, I doubt I'd need anything with particularly good preamps or even XLR sockets. I wonder if there's a cheaper jack-only A/D box that I could try? Like a half rack unit size or similar??

edtc

what are you wanting to feed with adat out ? a mixer , a soundcard ?

peanutismint

Well right now I have a Focusrite interface that has an ADAT input so I use that with my Behringer A/D but  i'm planning on downsizing in a couple of months and looking at a much smaller interface with fewer inputs, but still with ADAT so I'd like to be able to expand the number of inputs to allow, say, 6 channels of 2box drums. I just don't want to have a huge 1U rack unit in order to do so...

edtc

IMO a halfrack soundcard with 8 inputs + a loom is the most compact rig ... a second hand RME fireface UC for instance ... there are cheaper alternatives that have 8 line inputs too ..

peanutismint

Yeah I think that'll be the best option. I found this discontinued unit that apparently sells for about £100 now if I can find one...

http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php/en/products/studio-live-tools/q-adat

edtc

another thing , with adat , you will be limited to 48khz ... 8 outs soundcards can do 96 or more ...

peanutismint

That's probably ok, I only really make demos, plus I doubt my ears could tell the difference :D

paulf707

I'm thinking about Zoom R16.....
https://www.zoom-na.com/products/production-recording/multi-track-recorders/zoom-r16-recorder-interface-controller
Interesting combination of mixer/recorder/interface. Slightly bigger than the d5, but pretty small considering what it can do.....
Just missed a good deal on eBay last night, but will be keeping an eye out for another one....