Editing kits and settings on both D5 and PC - file modified date?

Started by paulf707, September 09, 2018, 06:39:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulf707

My D5 brain has an external card reader, so I am moving the card between the D5 and the PC when updating sounds / settings etc.
In the past I have used the Microsoft 'SyncToy' app to keep folders for external devices synchronised - so I keep a copy of the 'current SD card' on my PC, and update that using the PC software, then just sync the actual SD card with that folder. This should update files in both directions (based on modified date) and warn of any conflicts etc.
However, it seems like the D5 brain doesn't update the file modified date? I've modified a kit on the brain, brought the SD back to the PC and the file modified date/time is identical. I can open the two .dkit files (SD card and PC) and they are different (showing the change I made on the D5) - but because the modified date has not changed, my Sync program won't work.
I know I can update files manually, but I'm a geek and I like to automate these things :D

Can anyone else confirm that the D5 doesn't update the modified date?

Thanks

Deve Loper

Hi Paul.
You are right. No date/time update because there is no real time clock.
At the time, I didn't think it important enough because it needs a little battery.
An extra cost and we don't need even more batteries around.
A fix for that could be to just bump the date/time a minute so it is at least different.
Will do so for my next module.
Best, Deve.

paulf707

Thanks for the confirmation Deve
Absolutely understand and agree with keeping the system as simple as possible.

I can work round this quite easily; it is so useful to be able to confirm that these things are 'normal' and not either a problem with my unit or something I am doing wrong.

To be honest, if that's the worst 'fault' I can find in the product, then it really is very, very good ;D ;D ;D ;D