News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

2Box kit with centre hihat and symetrical layout

Started by paulf707, September 03, 2018, 05:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulf707

Initial build of my customised / personalised 2Box kit is complete - and I'm happy with the build so far:

Remote HiHat conversion http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,3874.0.html to allow separate pad and stand has been successful, and on initial playing tests the tom and cymbal layout is great for 'open' style playing.

It has also allowed for a much smaller footprint (which is good as space is limited at the moment) - kit (without stool) only takes approx. 60cm x 120cm floorspace.

A lot more work to be done on trigger and kit settings, and (according to my wife) I need to look at rubber matting / drum riser to reduce the noise downstairs (!) - but overall I'm really pleased.....

welshsteve

That is SOOO cool man! Great job. I'd loved to have gigged with this set up!
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

Slamstick

That is a great set up ,nice efficient, compact lay out. Good job!

paulf707

v2 of the kit is now ready for display:

Added 2 extra cymbals (the remnants of the second hihat pad on the left wired up as a single zone cymbal and a small Pintech single zone on the right) - wired into Rims on Toms 2 and 3.
Also added an extra pad on the left hand side that is wired in parallel with the Kick pad to allow me to play double kick riffs between my right foot and my left hand.

You can also see the floating platforms for the kit and my stool, and my custom stick holder (with orange shrink wrapped sticks)...

paulf707

Also here is my first attempt at a recording....

https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=8C109BFCA4E002F1&resid=8C109BFCA4E002F1%21684778&authkey=ALfLrn-ZWj4EBaw

The playing's a bit rough in a couple of places, but it was the best take I had. Also, my first time with video software so apologies if the editing / effects are a bit rubbish.

Still not sure if I'm happy / satisfied with recording in stereo (I only have a stereo interface at the moment) - still reviewing options between a bigger interface for the PC or an external recorder (my preferred option is a Zoom R16 at the moment....)

welshsteve

Wow... that's a GREAT set up. I have said it before, but I'll say it again.

The sounds you chose are decent enough, great live kit for a punchy dry sound, but there's a lot of much better ones out there if you go looking ;)

I'd like to see more from you doing this kinda thing.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

paulf707

Thanks Steve. I don't know if it's because that is the first kit I played when I got the kit setup, but no matter what other sounds I play I nearly always come back to that first kit and think it sounds better...
I think I need to make a conscious effort NOT to play that kit, and take time to get to know (and like) others.....
I'll make sure the next one uses a different kit 😀
Thanks for the feedback and support.