Recording 2Box audio together with video -> how to improve audio quality

Started by mvdput, May 30, 2018, 04:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mvdput

Hi all,

I want to make some recordings of the pieces I play including video but I don't want to do the editing part afterwards and syncing the video with the audio. So I tried the following setup to record audio and video at once, but I think the audio quality can be improved, but not sure how?

My setup:
2Box -> mono jack from line-out 1 to Steinberg Ur22 mk11 external audiocard -> USB cable to MAcbook pro

On my MAcbook Pro I use Quicktime record audio and video at once but I am not satisfied with the audio quality. The recorded drums seem to sound not as real as they do in my earplugs.

I am open to suggestions or other ways to record but I prefer to record audio and video at the same time. I thought of midi-recording but that would force me to do the syncing etc. afterwards.

Anyone has good ideas or own experiences with recording the audio from 2Box?

Jman

It may not be the cheapest option ..... But I am really happy with the Zoom Q8. You can record Video with sound directly from your mixer or your sound module. High quality video and audio, It has 4 TRS or XLR inputs. Really easy that way, no synching needed, etc. https://www.kraftmusic.com/zoom-q8-handy-video-recorder.html
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

mvdput

Thanks for the option JMan,

that does sound like a fair option.

For now I sort of solved the sound quality issue by using the Cubase LE software that came with the Steinberg UR22 mk11 usb soundcard. I record the audio output from my 2Box through the Steinberg into Cubase. I had to do some reading and tweaking but for now the sound seem to be ok.

For the video part I probably do end up with syncing audio and video and it seems that Cubase can handle video as well, although I did not yet tested the possibilities.

fishmonkey

Quote from: mvdput on May 30, 2018, 04:02:10 PM
My setup:
2Box -> mono jack from line-out 1 to Steinberg Ur22 mk11 external audiocard -> USB cable to MAcbook pro

why are you only recording the left channel? it will sound a lot better if you record in stereo...

mvdput

Quote from: fishmonkey on June 06, 2018, 10:15:47 AM
why are you only recording the left channel? it will sound a lot better if you record in stereo...

Good question, the Steinberg UR22-mkII says if you enable the High Impedance switch, you must use an unbalanced cable (=mono). I assumed the line-out of the 2Box was high impedance....
I did not try it with the high-impedance switch off and a balanced cable (stereo).  ::)

fishmonkey

Quote from: mvdput on June 06, 2018, 11:50:40 AM
Good question, the Steinberg UR22-mkII says if you enable the High Impedance switch, you must use an unbalanced cable (=mono). I assumed the line-out of the 2Box was high impedance....
I did not try it with the high-impedance switch off and a balanced cable (stereo).  ::)

i think maybe you have things a little confused there.

firstly, a line-level signal is not high-impedance. the high-impedance setting is for plugging in electric guitars or basses. you definitely do not want to have the high-impedance switch engaged.

secondly, a balanced cable has three conductors, and can be used to send either a balanced mono signal, or an unbalanced stereo signal, depending on the equipment in use.

your audio interface has two mono inputs. use two cables, and connect the line outs 1 + 2 to inputs 1 + 2 on your interface. the cables can be either TS (unbalanced) or TRS (balanced).

mvdput

Quote from: fishmonkey on June 06, 2018, 12:27:09 PM
i think maybe you have things a little confused there.

firstly, a line-level signal is not high-impedance. the high-impedance setting is for plugging in electric guitars or basses. you definitely do not want to have the high-impedance switch engaged.

secondly, a balanced cable has three conductors, and can be used to send either a balanced mono signal, or an unbalanced stereo signal, depending on the equipment in use.

your audio interface has two mono inputs. use two cables, and connect the line outs 1 + 2 to inputs 1 + 2 on your interface. the cables can be either TS (unbalanced) or TRS (balanced).

I indeed got confused with the line-level impedance.
I also confused the 1-2 OUT outputs for being balanced... I read the manual but it did not get clear that those were mono-outputs and 1-2 together can be used as stereo.
So I will reconnect my audio interface tonight because I also had the Line-In from 2Box routed to OUT 3-4 and connected OUT 3 to the Line In 1 connector on my audio interface to split the drums and song.
So fiding out the outputs are mono I am now short of an input to connect iPod and split the music from the drums.