News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Roland PDX-8 head/rim settings

Started by Jsmash77, March 14, 2018, 10:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jsmash77

Hi, does anyone have an insight into the best settings on the 2box module for the Roland PDX-8 so that both the head and rim trigger well?  It seems like either the snare sounds along with the rim or vice-versa.  Thanks for your help in advance.

welshsteve

Hmmm, without having one of those pads to hand I can't be sure. But how are your cross talk settings?
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

Jsmash77

Both head and rim are set to High for Crosstalk.

Jman

Quote from: Jsmash77 on March 16, 2018, 01:18:11 AM
Both head and rim are set to High for Crosstalk.
There are 2 pad types in the DI5 that are specifically for cross-talk between head and rim on the same pad. Xpad and Xrim. I use Pad 8 or Pad 12 for head on my own Stealh internal side mount triggers and Xrim for Rim. That stops any unwanted rim triggering from the head. Xpad is the opposite it stops unwanted head triggering from the rim. You can try both. Also set the Head and Rim Gain, and Head and Rim Threshold.  Gain you want to set only high enough so your hardest hits trigger maximum velocity. Threshold you want to set Only as low as needed too low and it causes the head or rim to experience more cross-talk and or double triggering.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

welshsteve

Oh right, so I wasn't aware of the xrim and xpad relationship. I'd like to have the setting so when rim is played, definitely NO pad because I like the head/rimshot separation, cross still I can use a BT1 for. Will need to give that a try..

Jsmash77

Hmmm, there's only output from the pad, I don't know if I could set 2 different pads for the snare and rim.

Jman

Quote from: Jsmash77 on March 19, 2018, 01:23:09 AM
Hmmm, there's only output from the pad, I don't know if I could set 2 different pads for the snare and rim.
Push More and the tom or snare button associated with that pad, change the Rim type in Unit Settings.

Jsmash77

Got that and changed the settings to xpad and xrim but still no joy even trying to adjust the Gain and Threshold settings.  The biggest thing bugging me specifically is that if I turn the Gain on the rim up enough to not hear the snare sound when I hit the rim, my ghost notes  on the snare trigger the rim sound.  If there are settings that prevent this with gain and threshold, I have yet to find them.

welshsteve

From what Jman said, Xrim and Xpad shouldn't be used together, they should be used one or the other, depending on what you want to have favoured sorta thing.

welshsteve

Quote from: Jman on March 16, 2018, 04:24:58 AM
There are 2 pad types in the DI5 that are specifically for cross-talk between head and rim on the same pad. Xpad and Xrim. I use Pad 8 or Pad 12 for head on my own Stealh internal side mount triggers and Xrim for Rim. That stops any unwanted rim triggering from the head. Xpad is the opposite it stops unwanted head triggering from the rim. You can try both. Also set the Head and Rim Gain, and Head and Rim Threshold.  Gain you want to set only high enough so your hardest hits trigger maximum velocity. Threshold you want to set Only as low as needed too low and it causes the head or rim to experience more cross-talk and or double triggering.

Hey Jman, I finally gave this a go and while I managed quite easily to obtain a clean rim and pad separation focusing on pad, I didn't get it to work the opposite. In essence, favouring rim over pad should a certain velocity on rim was reached. The idea being that ghost notes and lighter to hard hits on pads trigger only the pad, as soon as I begin to hit the rim along with it at a certain velocity (namely when I would naturally play a rimshot, not side stick) I still got both rim and pad. This is a big of a bug bare with me with the 2box system, in spite of me loving everything about it apart form it. Have you managed to do this? From your videos it would appear you aren't the sort of drummer that rimshot all back beats so I guess this isn't a problem for you. But even though I don't really like the TD15 I have (just for hihats at the moment at least until the Dit3 arrives on Monday) this is something I have naturally done playing for over 30 years and the TD15 does it pretty well. I am even considering keeping it just for this and triggering the drumit 3 snare channel via midi cable so I can achieve this, perhaps with a smaller profile TM2 module.

Jman

Quote from: welshsteve on March 22, 2018, 11:43:28 PM
Hey Jman, I finally gave this a go and while I managed quite easily to obtain a clean rim and pad separation focusing on pad, I didn't get it to work the opposite. In essence, favouring rim over pad should a certain velocity on rim was reached. The idea being that ghost notes and lighter to hard hits on pads trigger only the pad, as soon as I begin to hit the rim along with it at a certain velocity (namely when I would naturally play a rimshot, not side stick) I still got both rim and pad. This is a big of a bug bare with me with the 2box system, in spite of me loving everything about it apart form it. Have you managed to do this? From your videos it would appear you aren't the sort of drummer that rimshot all back beats so I guess this isn't a problem for you. But even though I don't really like the TD15 I have (just for hihats at the moment at least until the Dit3 arrives on Monday) this is something I have naturally done playing for over 30 years and the TD15 does it pretty well. I am even considering keeping it just for this and triggering the drumit 3 snare channel via midi cable so I can achieve this, perhaps with a smaller profile TM2 module.
Not sure what others experiences are but I have been using Pad 12 for head and XRim for rim on my own snare for years since the setting came out and have excellent results ..... Anyway, just FYI, there is a new OS coming out very soon also for the DI5 ..... same OS as the DI3 which has new Piezo/Piezo trigger settings .....

Jsmash77

Changed to Pad 8 and XRim, seems to be working a treat.  Thanks!

Jsmash77

Also looking forward to that update then.  :-)

BJtheDrummer

Hi Jsmash.  I read this conversation with interest as I am considering buying the Drumit 3 module.  My kit is now made up of PDX-6, PDX-8 and the new PDX-12 snare pad.  Also Roland KD-9 kick and CY5/CY8 cymbals.  I have been using a TD-20 module for many years and I found the PDXs 6 & 8 were not entirely comfortable with the older module - easy to get missed hits and some confusion between rim and pad like you were discussing.  Having installed the PDX-12 (which strikes me as an excellent pad for playability), I find there is no trigger choice which gives both rim and pad - it's either one or the other.  Are you still happy with the solution you posted for the PDX-8?  And have you come across the PDX-12?