News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Drumit 3 For Live Use

Started by TheUntalentedOne, March 07, 2018, 05:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheUntalentedOne

Hi,
New here  :rock:

I have a question re. live use with Drumit 3.. This is regarding the FOA / PA mixing desk. I would like Kick and Snare on separate channels. Toms on a stereo pair of channels and hats & cymbals on another stereo pair. This is 6 channels & Drumit 3 only has 4 outputs.

Is there a workaround ? Would have been cool if outputs 3 & 4 were stereo outs. I suppose you could midi out to another brain but that is not ideal. It is looking like mono toms & "OHs"

Jman

Just 4 outs. No work arounds I am aware of.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

TheUntalentedOne

Is there a chance the headphone out can be used? If not, surely a firmware upgrade would allow this ........ that's if 2Box wanted to do it.

Jman

Quote from: TheUntalentedOne on March 07, 2018, 08:36:22 PM
Is there a chance the headphone out can be used? If not, surely a firmware upgrade would allow this ........ that's if 2Box wanted to do it.
Headphone Outs cannot be used as Direct Outs on the DI3.

TheUntalentedOne

Quote from: Jman on March 07, 2018, 09:30:49 PM
Headphone Outs cannot be used as Direct Outs on the DI3.

I have one on the way and hoped I hadn't made a mistake. Damn  :-[

Jman

Quote from: TheUntalentedOne on March 07, 2018, 10:20:04 PM
I have one on the way and hoped I hadn't made a mistake. Damn  :-[
Well, this is not the first time on the forum this exact thing has been mentioned. That the Headphone output would not be assignable as Direct Outs is something I posted about months ago.

wildhorse5678

Only 4 outputs?.. Ill just keep my fingers crossed that my Drumit5 module never dies. Im going in the recording studio with my band in 2 weeks time and have already explained to the enginner that ill be able to provide a signal out for each of my 5 drums and 3 cymbals so he can mix the sound just as easily as he would a miced up kit....actually better because no bleed through between channels that acoustic mics would give.

welshsteve

Actually there seems to be a work around from what the owners of the DI3 have been saying. You can use the headphones as a sub and the two direct outs. That’s 3 stereo pairs or 6 individual outs if you were to pan hard left and right the signals to each output.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

Jman

Quote from: welshsteve on March 15, 2018, 01:06:11 PM
Actually there seems to be a work around from what the owners of the DI3 have been saying. You can use the headphones as a sub and the two direct outs. That’s 3 stereo pairs or 6 individual outs if you were to pan hard left and right the signals to each output.
Edit, I found the WORK AROUND. Posted Lower in the thread, Reply #12

welshsteve

I’m not sure where I read it, but I’m sure someone said they only has cymbals routed to headphones. Mine arrives tomorrow so I can’t test this. In the 6 years I’ve had the drumit5 I’ve never used
more than a stereo pair of outs. I’ll not be using anymore with the drumit3 live.

Jman

Quote from: welshsteve on March 25, 2018, 07:34:17 AM
I’m not sure where I read it, but I’m sure someone said they only has cymbals routed to headphones. Mine arrives tomorrow so I can’t test this. In the 6 years I’ve had the drumit5 I’ve never used
more than a stereo pair of outs. I’ll not be using anymore with the drumit3 live.
Got it wrong .... see my post below .... you can do a work around to get 6 outs.

welshsteve

Well that explains it. They’ve missed a trick here haven’t they? So many people are bent out of shape of the loss of two outputs.
Solutions:
2 modules. One drumit5 (which I already have) that would give me a possible 12 outputs!

Oh but I forgot, I only use two.

Never mind.

Jman

Quote from: welshsteve on March 25, 2018, 08:04:17 AM
Well that explains it. They’ve missed a trick here haven’t they? So many people are bent out of shape of the loss of two outputs.
Solutions:
2 modules. One drumit5 (which I already have) that would give me a possible 12 outputs!

Oh but I forgot, I only use two.

Never mind.

Woops ..... I take it all back, gonna edit my post above ....... I found a way. You assign everything but your cymbals to busses 1,2,3,4  choose NO bus for your cymbals which is the underline symbol _ , but then go back into the mixer section. Since the instruments on busses 1,2,3,4 are Direct Outs and are at a line level output ..... you can turn those off in the Headphone Sub-mix. Just leave whatever you do not assign to the busses (cymbals in this case) turned up in volume ..... That's the workaround ..... so it actually does work ..... 6 outputs ..... 

So as an example Set Outs 1, 2 as 1-2!, And Headphones as Sub Mix.
Assignments:
Kick Out 1
Snare Out 2
Toms Outs 3/4 Stereo
Everything Else Assigned to NO BUS _
Pick Drums symbol in the Headphone Sub Mix. And you can also pick songs and metronome if you want that ..... Then Turn Volumes for Kick, Snare, and Toms OFF in the Headphone Sub-Mix _ Leave everything else up in volume.
You can use a YPP-117 splitter on the Headphone out to send a stereo pair to your mixer. You now have 6 Outputs. You can adjust your individual instrument volumes in the module. Be sure to turn your Headphone knob on the module to max.

welshsteve

Ahhhh so "come back 2box deserters, we've found a way!"

Like someone on Facebook said, "where there's a Jman, there's a way!"

SynapticGroove

Another option would be to record MIDI into separate channels and then trigger whatever acoustic samples you'd like.  It keeps the drum tracks raw and very flexible!  Just a thought.