News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Permanent fix for rim O-ring problems

Started by jakep, September 08, 2017, 07:44:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakep

Now that it appears 2Box will stop making pads, has anyone come up with anything to replace the entire rim with something more durable? I had one rim rubber fail due to broken O-rings..replaced under warranty....went to Viton type rings...much better, but I have had a couple go, and I am fearful of the plastic hooks on the rim letting go if the rings are stronger. I have experimented with a standard steel rim, cut to clear the trigger housing, but it bottoms out on the main frame long before the head gets up to any tension. Trying out other e-drum rims to see what might work isn't much of an option , here in sunny(ish) New Zealand...

tower of p

Hey

have you come up with a good idea?

cheers,
Lutz

jakep

I did....I used standard metal rims (in my case, Maxwin brand...about $12 here in NZ) and cut a section out of just over 100mm to clear the sensor housing, using a cutoff wheel on a portable grinder. Fit the now split rim to the orange frame from the underside and place the whole assembly on to the head in the uual way. The holes in the rim line up with the holes in the frame without modification (this could vary with other brands of rim) The screws are long enough to tighten properly...but I will use spring or star washers and longer screws on the snare, as I find that lots of rim shots will loosen the nearest one off...I guess the steel rim transmits a lot more vibration than the original. For the same reason, I had to tweak the velocity settings down, especially for the rim triggering....the increased sensitivity is amazing. With a Roland Powerply head on snare as well the drum is a delight to play. I have photos of the mod, but I can't find how to post them here, so I have just changed my account settings so my email is visible if you need them.

welshsteve

Any chance of a few photos detailing what you have done?
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!