News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Sounds from VST's (SD2) into 2Box sound completely different

Started by DawdyDrums, July 07, 2017, 05:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DawdyDrums

I have been building a e-kit for a few months now and have come to the part where I am putting kits into the brain.

I am using Superior Drummer 2 as the VST, Reaper as the DAW, and SDSE to create my dsnd/dkit file.
When I put the kit together in SD2, the sounds are fantastic. Once I put them into the 2box, the eq and sound quality change a decent amount.

In this specific case, toms/kick become boomy, and the snare loses most of it's body and is all snap.

Does anyone have any information on how I could retain the same sounds when going from VST to the module?

Thanks,
Troy Dawdy

Exote

Hey Dawdy,
I missed your post by about four hours. I posted the same question. I have the same problem. Sounds are way too trebly. I´m guessing that the DA converters are inferior. Good converters cost money and the drumit 5 is very cheap compared to the competition. I´ll do some tests and post the results.o

puttenvr

As long as this problem is not solved 2box needs to stop the claim that one can import every sound you want. It frustrated me a lot.

Coda

Quote from: Exote on July 08, 2017, 07:33:54 AM
Hey Dawdy,
I missed your post by about four hours. I posted the same question. I have the same problem. Sounds are way too trebly. I´m guessing that the DA converters are inferior. Good converters cost money and the drumit 5 is very cheap compared to the competition. I´ll do some tests and post the results.o
Firstly, it's not very cheap, when it was released it probably was the second most expensive module you could buy (compared to the TD-20), and at least as expensive as the TD-9. Secondly, the the EQ on the headphone socket and the line outs are different. I admit, that listening with headphones there is too much mids, but through the FOH I don't have problems with it, they sound right.

ANGR77

Hi!

I must say that I don't recognise this change in sound when moving from AD2 to 2box using SDSE.
(But I am not using the headphones output at all)

However, I am currently doing a small project with a nice snare...where I have both the original and the moved results. Could be fairly easy to compare the results with each other.

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com / Roland hi-hat conversion modules for 2box.
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

puttenvr

This is addressed as a headphone problem before
But why do all the factory sounds sound perfect on headphone and the imported sounds not?

ANGR77

Yes, that's strange.

I think I mentioned in my article about Big Jambo Studios in digitalDrummer, which made the main part of the original sounds...that they used a special tool when creating the sounds for 2box.
Could this maybe be the difference?

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com / Roland hi-hat conversion modules for 2box
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

Deve Loper

Hi.
For best sound quality, convert the vst samples with as low pitch change range as needed.
Furthermore, the hp out has a series resistor to even out the differences in impedance.
This might affect the headphones frequency response. Not ideal, I know.
Use line out to compare original vst sound with downloaded sound.
Cheers,
Deve.

Exote

Thanks for the input. The trick with the pitch change range seems like something that might make a difference. Line outs have the same problem as headphone outs wiht my unit. Still haven´t gotten around to testing. Will do so asap. Cheers!

DawdyDrums

Quote from: Deve Loper on July 08, 2017, 09:23:27 PM
Hi.
For best sound quality, convert the vst samples with as low pitch change range as needed.
Furthermore, the hp out has a series resistor to even out the differences in impedance.
This might affect the headphones frequency response. Not ideal, I know.
Use line out to compare original vst sound with downloaded sound.
Cheers,
Deve.

Hi there Deve.

As I'm sure can be assumed, I'm fairly new to this whole world of VST's, modules, and whatnot.

1.) "As low pitch range change as needed" - By needed, are you referring to a standard level that the 2box handles?
2.) Is this range setting/parameter hard to find? I've looked around somewhat, but I'm not sure where to find it.

Thanks for the support,   :drum1:
-Dawdy

Deve Loper

Hi. To be able to pitch up sounds at playback (max tune value on KIT-DRUM page), the sounds are encoded with a matching lower sample rate when encoded. Thus if no need for tuning up sounds on playback, keep the max pitch low when encoding.
The line outs have 150 Ohm out impedance. Should be fine for any line input.
To check DAC quality, rip a cd track to 44.1 kHz 16 bit wav file and play back as accompaniment.
Should sound the same as cd played over same amp / speaker / phones combo.
Deve.