News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Cymbal silencers

Started by Ryanbell44, June 26, 2017, 06:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryanbell44

Hey guys, I thought I'd try asking here as you lot know everything.
In short I've upgraded my kit and replaced all the cymbals with jobeky real feel ones.
Whilst they are quiet compared to real cymbals they're still a smidge louder than the rubber alternative.
This didn't bother me until my friend came round to jam and I found I couldn't really use the ride of crash cause at the volume we were playing I could barely hear the sample over the ting ting of the stick hitting the metal.
I bought a random cymbal silencers set from Amazon but whilst it does the job they completely kill the sensitivity no matter what I do to the settings.
I notice stealth accompany they're kits with cymbals mutes so I was wondering how to get some that will work?

welshsteve

I'd suggest having one rubber 2box or similar cymbal pad just for this instance. Muting the cymbal will kill the way it triggers and no dampening will make the natural sound of stick on wood too audible.

Unless someone else has a better idea, that's mine.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

hemiboy

I bought pintech strike pads and adjusted my setting and they triggered fine and were much quieter

mjolson

Clear tubing from Home Depot is popular ($5 or so for 20').  Split it with a hobby knife and secure the ends with strong tape.

Otherwise, Jman uses Cymgard lites.  You can order them from him or directly from the Cymgard website.  They're a bit more expensive than the clear tube but they work well and look nice.

Jman

Quote from: Ryanbell44 on June 26, 2017, 06:30:35 AM
Hey guys, I thought I'd try asking here as you lot know everything.
In short I've upgraded my kit and replaced all the cymbals with jobeky real feel ones.
Whilst they are quiet compared to real cymbals they're still a smidge louder than the rubber alternative.
This didn't bother me until my friend came round to jam and I found I couldn't really use the ride of crash cause at the volume we were playing I could barely hear the sample over the ting ting of the stick hitting the metal.
I bought a random cymbal silencers set from Amazon but whilst it does the job they completely kill the sensitivity no matter what I do to the settings.
I notice stealth accompany they're kits with cymbals mutes so I was wondering how to get some that will work?
I don't include any top mute pads on my cymbals. But I have tested and demoed a few materials. This thread discusses a gum rubber you can use. It does cut down on the top stick noise significantly, but it does not kill the trigger response as bad as typical retail cymbal mute pads: https://www.vdrums.com/forum/advanced/diy/1025600-natural-gum-rubber-for-top-stick-noise-stealth-drums-cymbals-video-demo
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/