News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

DIY inside trigger

Started by xxl1966, May 27, 2017, 06:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xxl1966

Hi 2boxers,

i'm currently working on a design for a DIY inside trigger i want to use on a a-to-e conversion project.

This trigger would be adjustable in height and should be usable in between 2 lugs for my 10 up to 16" sized toms.
As for the kick i'm going to mount a 10" half-cutted tom inside the 20" kick.

The distance from the trigger to the side would be adjustable also (3 steps).

Below is a neutrik stereo jack mounted with spacers (panel mount type).

imageupload

The trigger 'panel' is mounted between rubber grommets with a silicon bushing (to avoid high and low frequencies). The piezo will be top mounted on the foam.
For the rim trigger i might use 2 small piezo close to the lugs on the bottom plate or a single one centered. I will have to experiment with different size and types.

Any suggestions and ideas for improvement are welcome !

thanks

edtc

Nice design ...  Maybe a bit over-engineered .

- Not sure if its safe to have the jack mounted on the trigger , especially if you use locking jacks ... if someone steps on the jack , it can move the trigger ... Depending of the tom you ll use , it can be  handier to have the jack on the shell .

- Maybe 3 screws (vs 2) for the sensor plate will give more stability .

- Dont forget to add some dampening around the meshhead to lower double triggering ... you cant just throw a pillow like in a kick drum ;)

xxl1966

thx,

i considered all of the things you mention, as for the dampening i'm going to use a very thin layer of neopreen on the back of the piezo instead of leaving it blank, this might reduce false triggers.
I will also have to do some experiments with the different types of piezo's i ordered.

If i use a 3 screw platform the rim trigger cannot be place in the center. But then again this is not a big issue. I saw a pintech solution where there is a small plate soldered on the piezo and this is attached to the shell in between a lug screw.
We will see how it works out first.

edtc

Quote from: xxl1966 on May 29, 2017, 06:38:51 AM
  as for the dampening i'm going to use a very thin layer of neopreen on the back of the piezo instead of leaving it blank, this might reduce false triggers.

i was talking about the mesh head dampening ... like the foam ring on 2box pads ...

xxl1966

yes i know, but with 2box the piezo is touching directly, in my case it will not, we'll see how it goes.

xxl1966

10 years ago i bought this old Pearl Masters Customs (20" 16" 14" 12" 10") which was in pretty bad shape.

I sanded all the shells and cut them up.

Tried 6 layers of paint, but finaly decided to wrap them because i didn't like the painted results.

Cleaned all hardware and replaced the rusty screws with stainless steel screws.

For the kick i'm going to use a half 10" tom mounted (with meshhead and side trigger) inside the kickdrum.