News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

No Hat pedal splash sound...

Started by Drumster, May 18, 2017, 12:48:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drumster

I have JMan's FD-7 magnetic conversion pedal and it normally works fine. Today however, I re-calibrated the module and now I get no pedal response at all. The pad works as expected the the pedal has gone silent. I touched nothing at all except the HH calibration as described in the manual.
Probably something simple - I'm hoping someone here can advise so I don't have to pester Jerry to bail me out yet again.
Thanks!

Guess I better get in touch with Jerry after all...

Drumster

Hmm, just re-calibrated it again and now it's working. All good! :-)

Coda

Yep, if you can still vary the hat opening and get different sounds, the hat board is working. What tends to be the symptom if these fail, is that every hit will be wide open, and nothing you do to the pedal affects it. I had one fail this way and had to replace the board (it wasn't one of JMan's).

Drumster

It's interesting... all I wanted to do was make the default "closed" position sound a wee bit looser or sloppier when riding the hi-hat. I find when riding the hat (a GoEdrum cymbal pad) the fine transitions leave something to be desired.

I think it's either the nature of the 2Box module itself or, more likely, that when rigging up my FD-7, I should have positioned the magnet/sensor further forward. I think that would have magnified the available transition range through use of leverage. What I mean by that is that with the unit further forward the effect of pedal motion would be magnified.

By the way, I hope that when I discuss any issue with my JMan rig that no-one takes it as criticism. The JMan unit itself works fine. Having said that, the exact location the installer chooses to place the unit on pedal will significantly affect how well it functions in terms of transition sensitivity. So regardless of how good the unit is, ultimate results come down to installer's choices.

Anyone installing should realize that the further back unit is located the less effect open/close motions will have. At the same time, if unit is placed too far forward, input motions will be exaggerated. So finding the sweet spot is installer's responsibility and even with photos and recommendations will still require a bit of forethought and experimentation.

I used epoxy to install a little wooden block for the magnet so re-locating the unit will be a bit of a challenge in my case but I think I'll give it a shot anyway. 

Coda

My board is mounted on the bridge of the footplate with velcro, which is the furthest forward it could be.
I just ordered a Gen16 13/18 kit so I hope I won't be playing this hihat for much longer.

Drumster

Learned something new tonight: After having the same problem with absent chick sound yet again, even when the "done" message comes up etc. But I found that if I press the buttons very firmly and deliberately and also wait a couple of seconds between each step, the "lost chick" issue does not come up! That's the only difference between no working after calibration and working fine again. Maybe this will help someone else if they have the same issue.

Coda

Weird, but that's definitely worth some investigation.

Jman

Quote from: Coda on May 21, 2017, 08:08:03 AM
Weird, but that's definitely worth some investigation.
Yeah, definitely! I have a lot of the Stealth 2Box HH stand conversion boxes out there and this "lost foot splash" thing has only been reported as happening from Drumster. So I tend to think something strange is happening with the 2Box drum module in his case.

One thing that could be checked somewhat easily is the exact calibration results after a "Good" calibration, and a "Bad" calibration where the foot splash feature is lost. With Lustar's Drumit Manager on the Unit 3 page you can check the numerical values that are assigned to full open and closed HH. Another useful part of this feature in Drumit Manager is that you can manually change those values and save them. So, for example in Drumster's case where he might be getting a strange result from the module during calibration, if the HH cymbals and/or conversion box have not been moved/changed since the last "Good" calibration those same values could be manually setup in Drumit Mgr.  Capture Drmt Mgr Unit 3 page by Jman Stealth, on Flickr
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

ANGR77

Hi best friends.

I have in the past used the Lustarks Drumit Manager many times and been able to read out the hi-hat calib settings. (When working with the Zourman boxes...)

Today, just to verify my systems, I had to check again and see what the calib/calib was showing... but there seems to be impossible to read out the config nowdays when using 1.3.0.3 version of the firmware/OS and the 1.4.7c of Drumit Manager. It shows 0 and 0 on the calib fields for all my configurations. Is there any more people out there who are experiencing this issue also?

To get the chick sound - the difference in ohm and power on the Zourman modules comparing the gap between a closed hi-hat and the chick with splash is extremely tiny...about 30-60 ohms...

So I am guessing, if anything is sligtly wrong configured or the magnet dont reach the end positions in a proper way...the result will end up with errors like this.

Best Regards

Anders / www.zourman.com
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

Jman

Quote from: ANGR77 on May 22, 2017, 09:17:30 PM

So I am guessing, if anything is sligtly wrong configured or the magnet dont reach the end positions in a proper way...the result will end up with errors like this.

Best Regards

Anders / www.zourman.com

Well, since I have hundreds of my own Stealth HH conversion kits out there, have calibrated every box, and tested all functions before shipping, have never had anyone else report this happening, keep in mind the module reads "Done" just like on the original 2Box module ...... again I am inclined to treat this as a unique problem possibly with the module or file on the module. Another indication dates back to months ago, same problem on Drumster's module. I uploaded the original Drumit.dkit for Drumster and after replacing the Drumit.dkit the module calibrated correctly with chick/splash. I also give detailed, step by step instructions for Box/Magnet placement, calibration, do troubleshooting if a problem exists via email or phone. Besides all that I have been using my own Stealth HH stand conversion on my own kit along with multiple 2Box modules for more than 6 years and have never experienced this.

On Drumit Manager. The screenshot I put up in the previous post was taken from a page with the latest version of Drumit Manager and latest 2Box OS ..... so, not a problem I have seen.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

ANGR77

Yes - JMan - you are probably right. Either it works...or not for some external reason. This seems to be a bit unique.

[I am going to invest why I can read out my data from the DKIT file any more from Drummit Manager. :-)]

Best Regards

Anders
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com