News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

question:snare and cross-stick sound (velocity layer)

Started by giansi71, May 17, 2017, 10:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giansi71

Hi all,
After a week on 2box,coming from Alesis DM10, I'm beginning to experiment sounds and knowing more and more my instrument.
Main differences I found?
Sounds are very nice (but, seriously, DM10's were nice too..it's a marvellous cheap piece of electronic, perfect for beginners!!)
But the main differences, until now, is the complete absence of crosstalk..never heard crash sound playing toms, or missing hi hat barks if a kick is hit too... or some ghost tom sound from time to time..I love it!!
My question:
I love Police (Stewart Copeland) music and sound, my kit uses a 14" maple snare with -3 value for pitch..I definitely love it. I set rim sound as a rimshot, I love it for harder strokes.
But... Copeland uses lots of rimshot (e.g. "can't stand loving you"), so I wander: is it possible to program 2nd snare zone (rim) as a Xstick sound for low volume, which becomes rimshot for harder shots?
On Dm10 it was possible using Xcross sound for layer A and rimshot for layer B,selecting A for softer hit, blending and becoming B only sound for harder shots..
I still didn't find a similar option..I splitted my all toms for cymbals and further toms, so I have no available zones...

Lustar

Hi giansi71,

It's possible to create a .dsnd like that with DSoundTool:
- extract the .wav samples from each .dsnd with DSoundTool (File > Open, File > Split)
- prepare a folder with xstick and rimshot samples (no more than 99 samples in total)
- rebuild the .dsnd with DSoundTool (Dsnd > Generate)

You can also create .dsnd files with two rim sounds directly when exporting from a drum VST with SDSE:
configure SDSE for two rim zones (SDSE Options > Zones > Snare Rim: sidestick, rim, 85%)
- open Reaper and SDSE
- select a VST and a snare with a xstick and rimshot sound (Evil Drums for BFD or SD2 contains a Stewart Copeland Sig. Series Snare)
- click Export. The .dsnd will switch from xstick to rimshot for the rim zone at 85% velocity.
You can then try different percentage values to find what works best for you.

Coda

Ciao. As Lustar says, it is quite possible to do by building your own dsound.
What he didn't tell you is that he makes 2 great tools for the 2box, SDSE and DrumitManager. The first allows you to automatically extract and build drumkits from popular VSTs (BFDx, SD, Kontakt, etc) and has an option to split the snare rim on velocity automatically, and the second allows you to manage the settings for each kit, build new dkits, reprogram most (if not all) of the settings inside your 2box. You should definitely head over to lustark.com and check out the demos. You might as well, you already started down the rabbit hole  ;D

Jman

Just FYI, there is one Velocity switching Rimshot/Cross Stick type Rim sound in the 2Box module. It is in the Snare/Cross Stick folder. The name is Cross Shot 1. So if you assign that as the rim for one of your snare drums you can test that 2Box velocity switching sound. J
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/