News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Please tell me ...

Started by puttenvr, April 28, 2010, 05:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

puttenvr

In the topic about the software editor some people (again) applaud for VST drum libraries. And I don't know why. Yes, I heard some good VST sounds, but they always were triggered by Roland modules and/or Trigger To MIDI interfaces which had problems with machine gunning and or latency caused by the computer. And since the 2Box is an open system (perhaps even the 4gb flash chip can be replaced on the long term) AND you can put any sound in you want, I don't see the advantages of a VST library. Some libraries even use their own sound format, which can't be edited by the user.

But tell me. What are the advantages of VST?
Perhaps I do miss something ...

Daniel

Quote from: puttenvr on April 28, 2010, 05:15:11 AM
In the topic about the software editor some people (again) applaud for VST drum libraries. And I don't know why. Yes, I heard some good VST sounds, but they always were triggered by Roland modules and/or Trigger To MIDI interfaces which had problems with machine gunning and or latency caused by the computer. And since the 2Box is an open system (perhaps even the 4gb flash chip can be replaced on the long term) AND you can put any sound in you want, I don't see the advantages of a VST library. Some libraries even use their own sound format, which can't be edited by the user.

But tell me. What are the advantages of VST?
Perhaps I do miss something ...

well, i if you record your music on pc its pretty cool to just put in the midi cable an record the midi track. then you select your VST of choice (SD 2.0,BFS,AD,...) and you can change your sound on the fly.

IMHO the sounds of SOME superior drummer kits are better than the stock kits of the drumit5. mainly due to the fact that i can tweak more things afterwards. For now, the only thing to get my drumit5 sound onto my pc ist to use the audo outputs, which is "just" a stereo signal. so no tweaking of individual drumkit parts.

the advantages of the drumit5 sounds are the playability in terms of velocity and you can do bit more with the hihat. its not that easy to get your VST working with your drumit5 100% correctly because of the different zones and to different hihat movements. i have always some dead zones or the velocity is somehow strange. thats why i now run the toms,snare,bassdrum via superior and form the drumit5 the cymbals and hihat via audio in. thats what i get the best sound.

and it would be awesome to have a 2box plugin which has a editor, plus the complete sound libary on my pc so i can record midi and tweak the original sounds in my DAW via the 2box plugin. - think thats the main reason for everyone.

viina

Quote from: Danny on April 28, 2010, 05:45:47 AM
and what would be awesome to have a 2box plugin which has a editor, plus the complete sound libary on my pc so i can record midi and tweak the original sounds in my DAW via the 2box plugin. - think thats the main reason for everyone.

Bengt once said its an interesting idea for future. lets see, we may get that later:)

Calimero

You ll have a lot of advantages if you want to record drums.Besides the soundlibraries software like superiordrummer comes with a lot of edititing functions that you can use to edit and mix the sound of the recordings that goes way beyond the 2box soundeditor.
have a look here,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G1hoUu67_Q&feature=related
This is just some of the things you can do with eq's and all,there s is also the choice of mics,the mic bleed and basicly everything you need to create a good drumtrack in one software bundle.

yes, I heard some good VST sounds, but they always were triggered by Roland modules and/or Trigger To MIDI interfaces which had problems with machine gunning and or latency caused by the computer.
If you use a yesterdays computer perhaps,but today there are good computers/hardware that should not have any problems with latency and or machine gunning.Roland simply has the best midi interface at this point but they all come with the rest of the module :(
keep in mind that the main purpase of these drum vst's are for drumprogramming and producing drumtracks without a drummer/drumset,not for the use of it with an edrum,thats a bonus.So you will find the biggest advantage in a studio/recording setting,not so much in live use.

Drumisan

Hello,

for info there is a special article about VST in the new free e-magazine (about e-drumming) :

http://www.digitaldrummermag.com/

if that help...

if not, that's an interesting link anyway.

Salutations