News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

EQ

Started by AndyMo, February 28, 2017, 05:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyMo

Hi,

I found a few threads that discuss EQ but wondered if I could kick off a new topic to try to collate tips and tricks.

To date I have mainly been using the factory sounds. I am now experimenting with other libraries and a new amp and need to understand how to get the best results with and without a mixer.

I appreciate the best option is to take separate (flat) outs and EQ on a mixer or front desk. Ahead of adding a mixer to my set up, I am keen to see if I can get decent results using the on-board EQ.

A few EQ questions that spring to mind:

• Is it possible to set the EQ settings for all kits or must this be configured for each kit separately
  • How to ensure the EQ settings are sent (or not) to the right outputs - for example, to send the EQd kit to both the headphone and relevant out (Output 1 & 2 for example).
  • Is it possible to EQ individual instruments or is EQ kit-wide
  • How to balance EQ on individual kits so they work when switching between kits live (consistent sound/volume).
  • Any other tips and tricks?

Thanks!
Andy

Deve Loper

Hi Andy.
The eq is per kit. The routing can be selected on the Kit-Eq page, being on the entire Mix or Sub(mix) or on the Drum channels only. Which drum channel is then affected can be chosen on the Kit-Vol page with the EQ parameter On + or Off -.
Then the respective Mix or Sub(mix) can be selected to go to Out1-2 or Phones on the Unit-Output page.
Best,
Deve.

AndyMo

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info.

I experimented a bit and got some odd variances across kits at a rehearsal.

It look like I need to be careful with EQ to ensure any combination of kits used live share a similar EQ (well, volume primarily). As I switched from a new experimental kit with some new samples and boosted EQ, it appeared to be at a significantly louder volume than the stock kits and was of course a lot more demanding on the amplification.

I can see why various forum members suggest using external EQ/mixer for live work.

Thanks!
Andy