News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

To buy 2box now, or wait?

Started by redbull26, January 05, 2017, 07:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redbull26

Hey all - I was hoping you could help me with a decision on whether to buy 2box now, or hold off because there are potentially new/better offerings coming out soon.

My budget is about $3,000 and in terms of the module - I'm looking for the most realistic drum sounds (I hate machine gunning).  The main uses would be practice and to lay down and record some good sounding tracks with friends in search of some YouTube glory.

I'm completely new to edrums and am very close to pulling the trigger on a purchase.  For the longest time I was under the impression that nothing could touch Roland - but the price just doesn't seem right.  After doing tons of research on this forum and others, and taking into account my requirements (most convincing drum sounds), I'm pretty much dead set on buying a Jobeky Prestige kit and 2box module.

My question has to do with the timing of my purchase,  I've heard that 2box and Alesis may have some new products coming out soon,  and I don't want to miss out on a potentially better product because I pulled the trigger on buying a 2box too soon.  Is this a good time to buy? 

Sorry for the awkward question but I'm having some buyers guilt - even though I know this is something I will love.  I'm betting most of you can relate.

Also, the Roland TD-25 falls into my price range as well.  What are your thoughts when it comes to a Roland TD-25 vs. a Jobeky 2box kit?   

Thanks for any help!

DeraldPrice

You may want to hold off a few more weeks. Winter NAMM starts on the 19th, so we may actually get a ship date on the Alesis Strike Pro or a new kit from Yamaha.

puttenvr

The Roland kit won't give you the most realistic drum sound anyway and has machine gunning
So wait, for the Alesis Strike, a new 2Box module ????, ATV ??, Pearl Mimic Pro (with cheap pads if your total budget is 3000$) and perhaps something new from Yamaha.

hemiboy

I am waiting as well, alot  of talk on the horizon about these new modules. Namm might show us something to wait for. Right now Pearl mimic is looking good, but I still really want to se if there is a 2 box drummit 6 coming and the strike pro if it ever surfaces is worth looking at . If the sounds are there. I would almost buy the 2 box on the blind like I bought the 5 last time and sold my td 30 module like I never owned it. I am realizing that Roland still wants to go for a more processed sound, otherwise the td50 would haver been introduced  with more realistic sounds. They have a great looking kit, best looking by far of anything out there but the sounds for me are not working. Meanwhile because of my current living situation, I have to move whatever I buy into a climate controlled storage unit to play.. My old a to e is cased up and put away and my 2 2 box modules are sold and gone

redbull26

Thanks for the replies, I'm thinking I'm going to wait to see if anything good comes out of Winter NAMM as it's only a couple of weeks away.

One other thing that is perplexing me that I hope one of you can shed some light on - how is it that the 2box drummit 5 pads are actually more expensive than custom built Jobeky drums (which I'm assuming are much higher quality)?

Looking at Jobeky's website, I can get a full kit with the 2box module for around $2300 shipped to the US.  The lowest price I've seen for the 2box Drummit 5 is around $2500.  This doesn't make sense to me.

Jman

Quote from: redbull26 on January 06, 2017, 07:14:34 PM
Thanks for the replies, I'm thinking I'm going to wait to see if anything good comes out of Winter NAMM as it's only a couple of weeks away.

One other thing that is perplexing me that I hope one of you can shed some light on - how is it that the 2box drummit 5 pads are actually more expensive than custom built Jobeky drums (which I'm assuming are much higher quality)?

Looking at Jobeky's website, I can get a full kit with the 2box module for around $2300 shipped to the US.  The lowest price I've seen for the 2box Drummit 5 is around $2500.  This doesn't make sense to me.
I'm not sure where you are getting your pricing, but the basic Jobeky kit with 2Box cymbals lists at $2883 USD on their site before shipping?? http://www.jobekydrums.co.uk/index.php?main_page=shopping_cart&number_of_uploads=0
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

redbull26

Yes your right Jman thanks for clarifying, knew that couldn't be right.  I was converting pounds to USD myself - my mistake.  I think it's probably worth it though.

Chrisk

Quote from: puttenvr on January 06, 2017, 10:10:15 AM
The Roland kit won't give you the most realistic drum sound anyway and has machine gunning
So wait, for the Alesis Strike, a new 2Box module ????, ATV ??, Pearl Mimic Pro (with cheap pads if your total budget is 3000$) and perhaps something new from Yamaha.

If there is no newer 2box at music-mess, most likely, they will never release new one,  only selling the production reserve left, similar what happens to ddrums. In my opinion their module are selling the most and hardware are kind of issue to deal with the reserve financially which potentially caused lost, silence and lack of communication are kind of first sign.

ANGR77

Chris K...how can you be so sure about this? E.g 2box will never launch anything new...

Your own assumptions or true facts?

Regardless of the facts...the current 2box module won't let you down. If you still are not convinced...why not try to buy a used module and save some dollars + a new Jobeky Kit and if something new enters the market...go for that module.

Best Regards

Angr77 / Zourman.com - Roland hi-hat conversion module for 2box
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

sn47som

Since namm is so close and new talk/products possibly on the horizon of course wait at least until after namm. people always make the mistake of jumping into a purchase with new things coming right around the corner and dont wait. you'll be kickin yourself in the face constantly if you dont wait. with that said:

For me it was a no brainer. i was in the exact position as you between roland and 2box. at the time wen nothing new was coming out except from roland a couple years ago so i had an easier decision but i went 2box all the way as you already know the obvious reasons, the most natural, realistic sounding drum module on the market at 2/3 the price. I keep getting more happy that i bought the 2box every day! what really sets it above all else is that you can put any sample you want in it and play it!! all other modules are limited to the samples that ship with it from the factory. the 2box is unlimited!! you can buy the module now and absolutely contently use it for the rest of your life by just importing new samples as new libraries come out for years to come. this could be the last module you ever buy with no problem or regrets. sure if you want a new or different look and some different settings or features on a new 2box module potentially coming out in the future you could eventually upgrade to that but thats not even needed! the current drumit 5 is complete enough to use for the rest of anyone's life. i would buy it all over again 1,000 times.

Chrisk

Quote from: ANGR77 on January 10, 2017, 10:18:14 PM
Chris K...how can you be so sure about this? E.g 2box will never launch anything new...

Your own assumptions or true facts?  and if something new enters the market...go for that module.

Best Regards

Angr77 / Zourman.com - Roland hi-hat conversion module for 2box

It was my opinion, because they show things and nothings happens after and timing in this business is critical.

ANGR77

That's ok Chris.

Yes, I am guessing the Mimic will be a game changer, if it works ok and don't end up with any bigger traps or faults.

But really...my old gear with a MegaDrum 56 channel, 8 channel sound card and a Surface PRO 3 with 12" touch display mounted on the rack with W10 running AD2. :-)...is very near the Mimic in concept. :-)

Yes, it is going to be interesting to see what's happening. The Mimic has a good high price also!

Best Regards

Angr77 / Zourman.com

Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com