News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

2box and Roland PDX-100 Pads

Started by G0csteve, December 22, 2016, 03:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G0csteve

Hi, new to the forum and am looking for specific trigger settings that anyone has found to be "the best" when using PDX-100 on snare w/ 2box DI5 brain.   I've tried so many setting combinations and nothing is as good as my PDX and TD-25.    However, when I midi my TD-25 and DI5 together the pad is incredible and works perfect so I know the DI5 can interpret it fine, I just can't figure out what to set...and how in the DI5 to be able to use the PDX direct to the DI5.   

I'd leave it midi, but had an unfortunate midi crash trying this at a show recently so have to get this resolved.    It would be nice if 2box could put out something with "best settings with other pad models". Or better yet, build it into firmware where you could select the model you have!

HELP and thanx in advance

SC

Jman

I don't have a PDX-100 to give you specific trigger parameters for, so maybe someone will chime in that is using the specific pad type. But I have setup many different dual piezo non-2Box pads with the 2Box module. Here is the step by step setup I recommend:

Drum Head zone:
With the module turned on press the Snare or Tom button of the pad you are setting up. Press Unit, page down once.
Pad 8, Pad 10, or Pad12 should be the pad type depending on the pad size.
Adjust the Gain so your hardest hits just peak the velocity meter. If the hardest hits do not trigger the top velocity raise Gain. If you are triggering the highest velocity too easily lower the gain till you get that just right. Next let the drumstick lightly fall on the snare and bounce. It should trigger the first hit and almost all the subsequent bounce hits. If it seems to trigger the light hits fine try raising the Threshold a bit till the lightest hits are no longer detected. Then adjust it lower again till it is just right. The key is to get the Threshold to where your light hits are detected, but the lower the threshold the easier it is to receive crosstalk, etc. One tip here: The Threshold ranges are Negative numbers. Occasionally a person will not realize -48 is the lowest threshold, getting that reversed in their mind. Just remember turning the knob to the right raises the value, turning to the left lowers the value. Lowering threshold means more sensitive to light hits, raising it means less sensitive to light hits

Drum Rim zone:
After adjusting the head. Now press More and Snare (or the appropriate Tom button) simultaneously.
XRim should be the Pad Type.
Follow similar procedure with the Rim. Now in my opinion for the Rim you will not want it so sensitive that your rim is TOO sensitive, however with the new XRim type that was added to OS 1.30 you can get the rim sensitive enough to trigger light rimshots and strong rimshots  without much worry about accidentally triggering the rimshot instead of the head.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

G0csteve

Great info!  Thanx Jman, I'll work with that and let you know if I have further questions.

G0csteve

Jman, that worked great!!  Can your explain similarly the process for crash and ride cymbals.... the crashes are 12".    Ride is the CY13R 3 zone includes bell (2 cable)   I can't really get gain to make much difference here with cymbals.

Thanx in advance!

SC

Jman

Quote from: G0csteve on December 25, 2016, 02:59:38 PM
Jman, that worked great!!  Can your explain similarly the process for crash and ride cymbals.... the crashes are 12".    Ride is the CY13R 3 zone includes bell (2 cable)   I can't really get gain to make much difference here with cymbals.

Thanx in advance!

SC
The Roland cymbals with the 2Box has been discussed quite a bit previously. Here is one thread: http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,2398.msg20675.html#msg20675
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/