News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

2box outs

Started by Stupidrumface, December 02, 2016, 01:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupidrumface

The outs on the 2box are a bit confusing, are the 6 generic "outs" for extra kit triggers? There's only one official kick out and no outs defined as zones. I can recall a lesser Alesis module having extra outs for zones on the ride for the bell etc.

geo

What you're referring to as outputs are actually inputs, specifically for pads/triggers. The jacks labelled as outputs (OUT1-6) are audio output and will not accept input signals. The others (eg. KICK) are inputs and will not output anything. You can physically plug triggers into the output jacks, but bad things will happen.

Stupidrumface

Quote from: geo on December 02, 2016, 07:03:15 PM
What you're referring to as outputs are actually inputs, specifically for pads/triggers. The jacks labelled as outputs (OUT1-6) are audio output and will not accept input signals. The others (eg. KICK) are inputs and will not output anything. You can physically plug triggers into the output jacks, but bad things will happen.

Apologies, got my terminology wrong there. I actually thought all the ports were inputs. What would be the purpose of using so many outputs? Seems like a lot for an e-kit.

I wasn't aware that these inputs were all that 2box could accommodate, it's pretty disappointing to me. So no double pedal or multi-zone pads or cymbals?

welshsteve

Yeah, a lot of drum modules will have one stereo output and a headphone output. In terms of the drumit5 module, a possible 8 outputs (4 stereo or 8 mono) would enable a sound engineer to have individual control of the kit. I normally just give them a stereo and tell them to be deal with it, but one time an engineer just simply couldnt get his head around and so I buckled and put kick on out 1, snare 2, toms (panned) 3+4, cymbals (panned) 5+6 and hats 7. It was a ball-ache as I had to work it out on the fly never have had done it before. Suffice as to say, I didn't save the settings and went back to how I had done it before.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

Stupidrumface

How do people deal with the limitations of the inputs?

welshsteve

Well generally, 4 toms, snare, kick, hats and 3 cymbal inputs should cover the majority of bases. But if you want more from the one module you can split the rims of the toms (as Tom rim sounds are nice but not what I'd call essentials) and have 4 extra single zone triggers. Many have done this.
But that aside, a second module would be a good way forward. Considering the 2box module is half that cost of an equivalent of a rival module (Td-30, DTX900 etc) that would cover all bases. You could have them midi'd up so that changing a kit on one would change the kit on the other.
That's what I would do.

geo

Quote from: Stupidrumface on December 04, 2016, 06:48:06 AMSo no double pedal or multi-zone pads or cymbals?

You may want to re-read the spec sheet. All drum pads are dual zone. All cymbals are tri-zone. All achieved with a single input and stereo cables. Dual kick pads have to be via a splitter though (or run through two inputs).

Stupidrumface

Quote from: geo on December 08, 2016, 01:30:21 PM
You may want to re-read the spec sheet. All drum pads are dual zone. All cymbals are tri-zone. All achieved with a single input and stereo cables. Dual kick pads have to be via a splitter though (or run through two inputs).

Ah ok, that sounds more promising. Are you talking about all pads and cymbals in general or just the 2box kit? Because I don't plan on getting the kit just the module. It's good to know I'd just need a cable splitter to put two roland foot pedals into for the double bass, it sounds like there's potential for erratic hits there though, I mean if the module was only made for one kick I can imagine it could struggle dealing with two kicks but I really don't know much about anything.

Deve Loper

Hi. No you can not split the kick input.
Look for this
DrumIt_User_Manual_OS_1.24.pdf
see page 8.
Regards,
Deve.

welshsteve

Quote from: Stupidrumface on December 13, 2016, 07:20:40 PM
Ah ok, that sounds more promising. Are you talking about all pads and cymbals in general or just the 2box kit? Because I don't plan on getting the kit just the module. It's good to know I'd just need a cable splitter to put two roland foot pedals into for the double bass, it sounds like there's potential for erratic hits there though, I mean if the module was only made for one kick I can imagine it could struggle dealing with two kicks but I really don't know much about anything.

The 2box module kick input is mono. The 2box 14" kick pad will accommodate a twin pedal easily. You could get a 2 x 1/4" jack to 1 x 1/4" jack cable and have two independent kick pads into one mono trigger input, but you have no options to match the trigger set up independently.

Stupidrumface

I'm not getting a 2box kit, was only interested in the module. I'll be getting Roland tk10s for pedals.

You guys seem to hold contradictory opinions on the kick issue. If Deves right, it looks like the module can't accommodate a double bass pedal which is a big negative, will have to reconsider getting it. Then again I'm not sure if there's a module out there better than 2box that's under 2k, which is what 2 2boxes would cost.

Jman

Quote from: Stupidrumface on December 15, 2016, 12:09:41 AM
I'm not getting a 2box kit, was only interested in the module. I'll be getting Roland tk10s for pedals.

You guys seem to hold contradictory opinions on the kick issue. If Deves right, it looks like the module can't accommodate a double bass pedal which is a big negative, will have to reconsider getting it. Then again I'm not sure if there's a module out there better than 2box that's under 2k, which is what 2 2boxes would cost.
The tom and snare inputs are splittable because they are dual (piezo) zone inputs, so you can split them to 2 different pads with independent sounds and trigger parameter adjustments for each of the pads you use. The Kick input is not splittable in that sense. But (as welshsteve was referring to) you could use 2 of the Roland pedals with the same sound on both by using one of these: http://www.showmecables.com/product/Hosa-TRS-Y-Cable-5-FT.aspx?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=roi+shopping&utm_content=pro+audio&utm_term=27-147-005&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=msn&utm_campaign=(roi)+shopping&utm_content=pro+audio  or any other 1/4" headphone type splitter you decide to use with the 2 kicks. It may decrease you audio output on that channel a bit because of the added resistance but it should work OK.

If you want 2 separate kick sounds, you could use the kick input for one pedal, and split one of the tom inputs for the other Kick. Even if you want the same kick sound on both you could still split a tom input for the second kick. The 2Box is pretty flexible.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Stupidrumface

What are the second part of the dual zones of the toms usually used for, just rims? In that case, I guess it would be handy enough to just substitute a rim for a kick pedal and better than that, substitute several rims for extra pads, correct?
Thanks for your help. :)

Jman

Quote from: Stupidrumface on December 15, 2016, 07:49:09 PM
What are the second part of the dual zones of the toms usually used for, just rims? In that case, I guess it would be handy enough to just substitute a rim for a kick pedal and better than that, substitute several rims for extra pads, correct?
Thanks for your help. :)
Correct. I have split all my tom inputs to add additional toms and single zone cymbals, cowbell, etc.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Coda

Regarding the kick, the jack labelled kick is indeed a stereo jack, the tip carries the input from the kick trigger, and the ring has a voltage on it, because the original 2box logo on the kick was lit up, and this wire supplied the current for that. So, if any of you plug another kick using a splitter for double-bass work, make sure you are not touching that ring connection. Use *only* the tip and sleeve.