News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Weird Cross Stick Performance Question

Started by DeraldPrice, November 18, 2016, 07:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeraldPrice

I have looked around on the forum but have not found my particular issue. So apologies in advance if this has already been answered.

I have set up a custom kit using all 2box native sounds. On the snare I assigned the Nasvall 14 for the head and cross stick 1 for the rim. I had to crank up the gain and crosstalk settings to get the rim and head to trigger their respective sounds consistently.

Then I went to the Roxanne kit, which uses the LU 14 BB G1 snare. I assigned cross stick 5 to the rim. Now on that kit I get rim sounds plus head sounds on most hits on the head or the rim.

WTF?! Why would the performance of the trigger change based on the sound selected? I thought that only the trigger settings would impact this type of behavior. 

Jman

Quote from: DeraldPrice on November 18, 2016, 07:55:00 PM
I have looked around on the forum but have not found my particular issue. So apologies in advance if this has already been answered.

I have set up a custom kit using all 2box native sounds. On the snare I assigned the Nasvall 14 for the head and cross stick 1 for the rim. I had to crank up the gain and crosstalk settings to get the rim and head to trigger their respective sounds consistently.

Then I went to the Roxanne kit, which uses the LU 14 BB G1 snare. I assigned cross stick 5 to the rim. Now on that kit I get rim sounds plus head sounds on most hits on the head or the rim.

WTF?! Why would the performance of the trigger change based on the sound selected? I thought that only the trigger settings would impact this type of behavior.
I don't know why the specific snare drum sound caused you to hear the rim sounds on the head, but different kits have different affects, EQs, all specific to the kit. So I assume that is affecting it. My guess though is that you still need to find the ideal trigger settings. My suggestion would be to setup your trigger parameters one step at a time. Here is a copy of a step by step setup I posted for setting up a Hart snare with the 2Box module in an earlier thread, steps are the same regardless of which mesh head drum you are setting up.

With the module turned on press the snare button. Press Unit, page down once.
Pad12 should be the pad type for the Hart 13" snare.
Adjust the Gain so your hardest hits just peak the velocity meter. If the hardest hits do not trigger the top velocity raise Gain. If you are triggering the highest velocity too easily lower the gain till you get that just right. Next let the drumstick lightly fall on the snare and bounce. It should trigger the first hit and almost all the subsequent bounce hits. If it seems to trigger the light hits fine try raising the Threshold a bit till the lightest hits are no longer detected. Then adjust it lower again till it is just right. The key is to get the Threshold to where your light hits are detected, but the lower the threshold the easier it is to receive crosstalk, etc. One tip here: The Threshold ranges between Positive and Negative numbers. Occasionally a person will not realize -48 is the lowest threshold, getting that reversed in their mind. Just remember turning the knob to the right raises the value, turning to the left lowers the value. Lowering threshold means more sensitive to light hits, raising it means less sensitive to light hits

Drum Rim zone:
After adjusting the head. Now press More and Snare simultaneously.
XRim should be the Pad Type.
Follow similar procedure with the Rim. Now in my opinion for the Rim you will not want it so sensitive that your rim is TOO sensitive, however with the new XRim type that was added to OS 1.30 you can get the rim sensitive enough to trigger light rimshots and strong rimshots  without much worry about accidentally triggering the rimshot instead of the head.

Hope it helps, J
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

DeraldPrice

Thanks for all the info Jerry.

It turns out that my weird problem had an even weirder solution. After fussing with settings for way too long I noticed that if I turned my stick to be 90 degrees to the left of where the trigger is it started triggering cross stick perfectly. So I rotated my drum and everything is working great. The oddest part of this is that I had mounted the rim sensor to the right of the main trigger. I have no idea why moving that sensor away from where I am playing helped, but I am not one to question success. :)