News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Kick Drum Setup...

Started by fishmonkey, April 17, 2010, 09:11:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jw-smaal

Indeed I have the new MKII rack and pads with the "old" MKI kick with the new orange ball tennisball beater.  I don't have problems with it though but maybe I just don't know better  :).     

Slap the drummer

Yes you're right, I've also got MkI kick but with the new beater.  I'm ashamed to admit it but I think
mine is more pink than orange tho... :-*

Could somebody with a genuine MkII post some pictures??

Slap the drummer

Well I tried taking the foam out and moving the sensor but it hasn't worked for me..... not sure
where to go from here :'(

roel

Quote from: jw-smaal on January 21, 2011, 08:56:26 AM
Indeed I have the new MKII rack and pads with the "old" MKI kick with the new orange ball tennisball beater.  I don't have problems with it though but maybe I just don't know better  :).     

I have also the old MK1 Kick, I use a meshhead protection DOT from Tdrum, and the orange meshtrigger beaters from thomann.de

And it works perfect for me,it plays very well,no double triggering. I still don't get why the new version not having the black front with the 2box logo (light) its beautiful...

Slap the drummer

Well finally got my (Mk I) kick drum working more or less.

The problem was:
1. Low volume
2. Cdn't stop the beater vibrating against the head unless I really pulled my foot back, something
I just can't do if I'm playing at any tempo faster than very slow.  I know I'm the only one who seems
to have this problem, perhaps I just can't play....

I think double triggering is a bit misleading as a description because it might imply the trigger is not
working properly, when in fact it is tracking what is happening with amazing accuracy (beater buzzing
against head).

Anyway, the volume issue is definitely related to the smaller foam insert that sits where the beater
strikes.  So I've taken that out and then put a patch of sorbothane on the outside of the mesh where
the beater strikes.  (Sorbothane is that black squidgy stuff (always a good sign) used under electronics
to isolate them from vibration).  I found it lying around and I thought, the beater won't bounce off that!

It does feel a bit slow without any real bounce back off the head, but at last my kick sounds LOUD and
clean and punchy.  I need to get a thinner sheet of sorbothane with a denser consistency and experiment
a bit more I think.

So there is a thought for anybody else having similar problems.  (There is nobody else I know).

---

Sorry Fishmonkey, I don't suppose this is what you had in mind when you started this thread.  It was a good
idea though, it would be helpful to have clearer guidance on what to do and why.  When I read back thru all
the kick drum posts I realized that I hadn't even noticed I had a Mk I and not a Mk II, even tho it shd have
been obvious.

drummer81

who is better for the sensor?
1)kick drum with foam and metal plate

or

2)kick drum remove foam and the metal plate
who is better ?like acoustic kick?kick mk1 or mk2?

thanx!!!

Slap the drummer

The sensor triggers just as well in the centre or at the edge, and will be just as protected -
provided of course you are not hitting it directly.

The differences are more about how well the set up suits your playing style.  I prefer the feel of
the head undamped by foam (and so with sensor at edge).  But I can't have it like that because
(for me) the beater bounces/buzzes too much for me to control.

As for which is more like an acoustic.  Mark 1 is more like a damped acoustic and Mark 2 is more
like a very lively and undamped acoustic  :)

From what I remember it was just as much a matter of choice when tuning up an acoustic bass
drum.  I ended up slackening the head and taping it up to keep the reverb down - and it certainly
didn't feel as nice and bouncy as a mesh head.  Similar story with the toms come to that.

black_sonix

I have a similar issue.

I use an Axis pedal on my 2Box and a Pearl Demon Drive on my Acoustic kit.

I prefer the feel of the Demon Drive but i can't afford to buy another one for my 2Box kit and the Axis is by no means a bad pedal, it's great but here lies the problem...

I can dial in the settings on the Axis to feel like i'm playing the Demon Drive (Spring tension, Footplate angle, beater angle etc) but i get double triggering all the time.

Basically as had been said before the trigger is almost TOO good lol, it picks up every single breath of a move from my foot.

I have tried every trigger setting, every curve type and 3 different beaters (Plastic, Wood, Felt) to no avail.

I'm thinking of trying the Thomann mesh patch (kick patch) and the triggerball beater now. This is all getting very expensive tho lol.

I too have a MKII kit with a MKI kick, which i prefer the look and feel of but just can't set it up right.

Any ideas?

dbl

I have a MKII with MK1 kick. The kick went noisier and noisier so finally yesterday I looked it up on this forum and decided to modify it into a MK2.
It was quite easy and the results much better than I dared hope. I realize I took a risk but for me it was worthwhile. The Kick is now dead silent, it triggers better and the feel is much more like an acoustic (to my taste). Instead of just removing the foam as mentioned earlier on in this thread, I cut out the center of the foam, just where the metal rim that holds it ends, I also placed 2 layers of window insulation rubber under the foam to lift the foam until it applied some pressure onto the mesh.

Certainly did the trick for me, my fantastic 2box just got better!  :patbat2box:

Regards,

dBl

Battery Boy

Quote from: Slap the drummer on January 23, 2011, 05:17:19 PM
Well finally got my (Mk I) kick drum working more or less.

The problem was:
1. Low volume
2. Cdn't stop the beater vibrating against the head unless I really pulled my foot back, something
I just can't do if I'm playing at any tempo faster than very slow.  I know I'm the only one who seems
to have this problem, perhaps I just can't play....

I think double triggering is a bit misleading as a description because it might imply the trigger is not
working properly, when in fact it is tracking what is happening with amazing accuracy (beater buzzing
against head).

Anyway, the volume issue is definitely related to the smaller foam insert that sits where the beater
strikes.  So I've taken that out and then put a patch of sorbothane on the outside of the mesh where
the beater strikes.  (Sorbothane is that black squidgy stuff (always a good sign) used under electronics
to isolate them from vibration).  I found it lying around and I thought, the beater won't bounce off that!

It does feel a bit slow without any real bounce back off the head, but at last my kick sounds LOUD and
clean and punchy.  I need to get a thinner sheet of sorbothane with a denser consistency and experiment
a bit more I think.

So there is a thought for anybody else having similar problems.  (There is nobody else I know).

---

Sorry Fishmonkey, I don't suppose this is what you had in mind when you started this thread.  It was a good
idea though, it would be helpful to have clearer guidance on what to do and why.  When I read back thru all
the kick drum posts I realized that I hadn't even noticed I had a Mk I and not a Mk II, even tho it shd have
been obvious.

There is somebody else! Me! Thanks for posting this, I've got exactly the same problem. I've only just unpacked my kit and I've been so excited to start playing it but I can't get the kick going. I can hear it very quietly but no where near loud enough to play.

I've got the same bounce thing but I think I'll just gaffa the area in front of the beater and see what that does. I'll try taking the extra bit of foam out and see what happens!

Cheers

BB

Slap the drummer

Quote from: Battery Boy on April 12, 2011, 12:06:35 PM
I've got the same bounce thing but I think I'll just gaffa the area in front of the beater and see what that does. I'll try taking the extra bit of foam out and see what happens!

Cheers

BB

Did you sort this out?  In the end mine was sent back to the distributor and they found the sensor to be exceptionally quiet, which
they duly replaced.
cheers

Marinus

Quote from: Battery Boy on April 12, 2011, 12:06:35 PM
There is somebody else! Me! Thanks for posting this, I've got exactly the same problem. I've only just unpacked my kit and I've been so excited to start playing it but I can't get the kick going. I can hear it very quietly but no where near loud enough to play.

Cheers

BB

I've got exactly the same problem! I got the MK2 with the MK1 kickpad. I have to cranck the gain way up to make it work and there is the "double" triggering ofcourse. I'll try to find the best height for the beater but if you guys have some good advice, let me know. Maybe I'll try to take the middle part (rectangle) of the foam out and see how that works. I had a look inside the pad to see if something was wrong and i saw that the foam-rectangle slightly comes out when all the foam is in place. Like as if the led-part pushes the rectangle out. That may cause that the mesh and trigger are too far from each other. However... this is just a theory.

BURNIN AMBITION

well i made the kick pad to mk2 finally.
it is nicer and quieter but i cant seem to find the right way to have both no double triggerings and also nice rebound. if i tighten the mess, i have too much double trigering. if i leave it loose to avoid it, i have not a good feel in pedal. i am usinf pearl eliminator beaters and pedal. but with the 2box beater i remmebr it was worse... also when i double pedal the kick pad moves too much...
i am sure it just needs much trial and error to come with theright way to have it, but any advice would be more than welcome. would it be better if i used roland mesh so that it is more hard and have better rebound?
someone with mk2 kick, can he tell us what gain thres and curv he uses?
2box, bengt, deve, digital drummer, Jman, Brian, Manfred thanx for everything

iola 11
http://www.facebook.com/iola11
www.reverbnation.com/iola11
https://soundcloud.com/iola11
https://twitter.com/iola11band
www.youtube.com/iola11band
www.myspace.com/iola11

Baby Samus

Quote from: BURNIN AMBITION on May 13, 2011, 01:24:24 AM
well i made the kick pad to mk2 finally.
it is nicer and quieter but i cant seem to find the right way to have both no double triggerings and also nice rebound. if i tighten the mess, i have too much double trigering. if i leave it loose to avoid it, i have not a good feel in pedal. i am usinf pearl eliminator beaters and pedal. but with the 2box beater i remmebr it was worse... also when i double pedal the kick pad moves too much...
i am sure it just needs much trial and error to come with theright way to have it, but any advice would be more than welcome. would it be better if i used roland mesh so that it is more hard and have better rebound?
someone with mk2 kick, can he tell us what gain thres and curv he uses?

You should tell us what settings you are using so we can compare.  I have the MKII conversion, I use threshold 36-38, gain 1 or 2, Kick1 in the pad type and Pos1 or 2 in the curve setting I think.  Mesh head is tightened to just past medium tension but I use a rubber ball beater - remember even the weight of the beater can alter trigger characteristics.  I will double check all settings tomorrow.

BURNIN AMBITION

gain 10 threshold -12 curve neg 2. the mesh head is medium tight (or pretty loose). the beaters are in a height that hits the kick in the middle, from the soft felt side.

hope this helps. if i put the curve in normal or pos, i get too much double trigerring
2box, bengt, deve, digital drummer, Jman, Brian, Manfred thanx for everything

iola 11
http://www.facebook.com/iola11
www.reverbnation.com/iola11
https://soundcloud.com/iola11
https://twitter.com/iola11band
www.youtube.com/iola11band
www.myspace.com/iola11