News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Suggestions wanted for mixer for drumit5 live

Started by wildhorse5678, October 08, 2016, 10:30:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildhorse5678

I'm having difficulties getting volume mix between pads and cymbals right when I play live. The settings sound ok at home but not right at gigs eg cymbals sometimes too loud, or too quiet,  toms over powering snare etc. I know the menu system allows me to change these but that's totally impractical at a gig, especially when I use a few different kits.  So I've been thinking of adding a 8 channel mixer between the drumit5 brain and my amp and pa. Something small enough to mount onto the rack but would allow me to increase and decrease the volume from the outputs myself via turn of knob or slider....Any of you guys already doing this....anyone recommend suitable small mixer unit that doesnt cos a second mortgage.

JRage

Hi, wildhorse

I use a small cheap Behringer MX802A Eurorack 8 ch mixer. It's doing the job perfectly for me. I use all 4 mono and both stereo channels in my setup:
1. Kick
2. Hihat
3. Snare (panned in mixer to left)
4. Snare (panned in mixer to right)
5. Toms (stereo)
6. Toms (stereo)
7. Cymbals (stereo)
8. Cymbals (stereo)

Mixer is connected with module using a 3m multicore: http://www.adamhall.com/en/Adam_Hall_Cables_3_Star_Series_-_Multicore_Cable_8_x_6.3_mm_Jack_mono_to_8_x_6.3_mm_Jack_mono_3_m.html
It's placed near enough to control both by myself and sound man should it be necessary. It definitely is doing the job and I have used it both in small venues and on stage outside.
Rgds,
Janis
Posted by some mistake.

wildhorse5678

Thanks for the suggestion. But I've now bought a Monacor Mmx 8 mini mixer.  I've set it up as shown in the 2box manual page 68..and it works OK with this set up. The main disadvantage is that all the toms are controlled by one volume control,  similarly with the cymbals. I would have liked to have had individual control over the toms but first time I tried to put them on individual bus outlets I couldn't get it to work.. But no idea why. Anyway I'm gonna have another go and may do a video of the procedures if it works out. Mike

Louis Wu

Hello Janis, and thanks for the info. Does the mixer feed a PA/FOH, or does it feed a drum monitor? Any info on that would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
L

JRage

Quote from: Louis Wu on November 11, 2016, 11:47:43 PM
Hello Janis, and thanks for the info. Does the mixer feed a PA/FOH, or does it feed a drum monitor? Any info on that would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
L
Hi Louis,

The mixer feeds PA (an old TAPCO Juice J800). As speakers I have Wharfedale SVP-15B Pro 15" sub in A channel of PA + Wharfedale EVP 15"/1" passive monitor in high pass output of the sub. So the setup is mono, but has some juice in it ;)
That is my home / small venue setup.

For larger stage so far the most practical way (as often there is shortage of balanced inputs on stage) has been connecting this small mixer to the main mixer using 2 ch stereo output. The sound guys can control overall sound and if needed can come over to small mixer and adjust instruments individually.
Posted by some mistake.