News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Snare lag/latency

Started by welshsteve, October 07, 2016, 10:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

welshsteve

I have been noticing snare latency/lag when playing live. Generally it's fine but every now and again, I notice a latency on the snare only. I am not in Unit mode or with the deeper Kit menus as I know that affects it, always in "Kit name" mode.
When it happens I have notice its when I am playing rimshot (snare and rim together) and often when I am playing ride with hihat pedals on 8th notes at med-med/high tempos. Is this a constraint of the module's processor unable to process lots of notes/samples at once? It's starting to bug me to be honest as I at odds to find a solution.
Try it yourself, play broken 16ths on ride, 8th pedal hats and rim shots at fast tempos and tell if you get it too. Maybe I have an iffy module?
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

Jman

You might try contacting sn47som : http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php?action=profile;u=4392
In an email he described the exact same symptoms you describe and last message he seemed to solve it. Surprisingly his solution came from raising Crosstalk on all instruments, but maybe contact him and ask him for specifics. J
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

welshsteve

Yeah cross talk is down, I don't mind a little cross triggering but can't stand when I play two sounds and one doesn't trigger because the module thinks the it's a cross trigger, I'll mail him now and see if he can help.
Thanks!

Devious123

Maybe make sure all toms, snares, kicks, are all panned so that there all by themselves in the stereo field.

welshsteve

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean pan every sound either hard left or right?

Devious123

Sometimes I noticed that certain sounds depending on how loud they are might get covered up by a louder sound, so it may cause it to seem like the sound disappears, because they were hit at the same time. My thinking was that maybe the unit gets overwhelmed at times, and your noticing it, so if the sounds did play at the same time it least the processor would have less to do, at that specific time. I didn't mean all to the right, or left of the stereo field, just push the snare, and the kick drum slightly to the right, and left of center of stereo.

Have you done the sd card mod, with the cable? If so maybe your sd card is not transferring the information quick enough.

Coda

To be honest, I've noticed it myself, but in the past I've put it down to my DIY snare trigger, which I now know is not the issue. It often happens after maybe a roll which has quite a lot of cymbals in it, or sometimes when I'm playing the ride with foot pedalling the hi-hat. I think the cause is the speed of the card or it being in the extender, after playing loads of long samples (rides, crashes and open hats). I should remove the extender and experiment with just the original card.

Devious123

I did the extender with mine, and haven't heard my buddy complaining about delays yet. I use the onhead triggers which have the inbox which boost the signal with a battery. I'm also using some cheap usb midi cable to send the signal to the pc.

fishmonkey

i use a 32 GB card with extender.

i rarely get that issue with the stock sounds, however i do get it with some kits that i exported from BFD3. i know that the kits exported with massive hi-hat files, and the module or card just doesn't have the bandwidth to keep up, sometimes resulting in bad latency...

edcito

Quote from: welshsteve on October 07, 2016, 10:40:03 PM
I have been noticing snare latency/lag when playing live. Generally it's fine but every now and again, I notice a latency on the snare only. I am not in Unit mode or with the deeper Kit menus as I know that affects it, always in "Kit name" mode.
When it happens I have notice its when I am playing rimshot (snare and rim together) and often when I am playing ride with hihat pedals on 8th notes at med-med/high tempos. Is this a constraint of the module's processor unable to process lots of notes/samples at once? It's starting to bug me to be honest as I at odds to find a solution.
Try it yourself, play broken 16ths on ride, 8th pedal hats and rim shots at fast tempos and tell if you get it too. Maybe I have an iffy module?

check your pad types and curves

edcito

changing the pad types and curves to norm remedy the latency, also some samples were exported incorrectly

edcito

Also make sure you select the correct kit bank, specially when you copy new files to the card it will boot in another kit bank that may cause issues with your pads, remember to select it by pressing more and kit buttons for 2 seconds and then you'll get a screen where you can select the correct kit bank.

Got hand it to 2box, the latency I've experienced is with heavy kits from SD3, and with the 3 zone velocity switch snares from SDSE, it is not a 2box issue per se since it is some sort of "unsupported hack". If you use the stock kits and don't plan to use 3 zone snares then you will be fine.

Until now there is no feedback about OS 1.36, how do your pads behave with the new X-TLK setting? Did it mess with your triggering?

Nico

The new xtalk setting in 1.34.10/1.36.1 for head and rim did not work on my setup on bigger pads (Diamond drums 12 and 14 inch with side trigger).
Head frequently triggers the rim on different (LP/HP/X-ADJ) settings. OS1.32.4 gives no problems LXTR set vHigh.

For lag/latency issues, on DI5 (running various OS since 1.2x) I occasionally noticed it only when using bigger samples while playing busy patterns on multiple pads including ride/hihat.
No idea what the recommended sample length, dsnd size is but it looks like the 2box stock sounds are processed to meet the module hardware specifications.

edcito

Quote from: Nico on March 03, 2020, 06:34:43 PM
The new xtalk setting in 1.34.10/1.36.1 for head and rim did not work on my setup on bigger pads (Diamond drums 12 and 14 inch with side trigger).
Head frequently triggers the rim on different (LP/HP/X-ADJ) settings. OS1.32.4 gives no problems LXTR set vHigh.

For lag/latency issues, on DI5 (running various OS since 1.2x) I occasionally noticed it only when using bigger samples while playing busy patterns on multiple pads including ride/hihat.
No idea what the recommended sample length, dsnd size is but it looks like the 2box stock sounds are processed to meet the module hardware specifications.

Yeah, 1.32.4 is better to handle the latency, I still get some with the kits from the Darkness SDX, especially on the ride and kick, I checked the size of one ride and is almost 300MB, whereas one of the stock SD3 is only 150MB.

I too had diamond drums and I remember changing the pad type to rub2 made a huge difference with clean separation between head and rim, maybe try those with 1.36?