News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

New 2box library project

Started by PeteThePole, September 19, 2016, 07:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Murgen

Yes, for instance I have a Pearl MHX 12-14-14-16-22 with Giant Beats in The Netherlands.
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

espen

How was this going? Did you manage to record?

PeteThePole

Hi Guys,

I am after my second day in the studio.
3-5 days of studio work left depending on how fast i manage the rest of the instruments i got left.
The highlits from those 2 days are a 14" tama starclassic maple snare, 13" mapex black panther maple snare, 24"pdp bass drum with a felt beater and a plastic beater. I must say that i am very happy about the sound of these particular samples.
Tomorrow i will record the mapex saturn kit, it includes 10,12,14,16 toms, 14 snare, 22 kick.
I will record it in 2 drumhead options, all coated ambassadors and all clear 2ply evans heads.

Thanks guys for proposing to lend me your gear, as said my session wil last 3-5 more days and i am , as my nickname suggests, located in Poland. It would not be possible nor time/cost effective to ship the drums to me.

I will release a video with me playing every recorded kit when the dsnds will be ready so You will know what you're paying for.

Curious to see if the kits will work live, but somehow i get the feeling that, to truly capture the right sound, one would need to record the samples in a live environment. Maybe that's a thought for future projects.

Well that's it from my side.
Thanks for the interest and keep your fingers crossed.

wildhorse5678

Good Luck. Looking forward to hearing the results

sn47som

DO you have any updates on the tracking? Would love to see some vids!!

PeteThePole

Hello Guys!

@wildhorse
Thanks!

@sn47som
The recording session is over.
It took me 5 days in total to record all the instruments that were "worthy" of recording.
Some of them, in my ears were unfortunately sounding medicore at best, so i decided to concentrate more on the nice sounding instruments. Here's the final list of what i sampled:

Snares: Yamaha maple custom absolute 14”, Mapex blach panther 13” maple snare, tama starclassic maple 14”

Shellsets: Mapex Saturn 10”12”14”16”22”, DW PDP LX 8”10”12”14”22”, DW PDP 805 13”16”18”24”

Cymbals: Zildjian A custom fast crash 17”, A custom projection crash 16”,K custom Dark Crash 18”, K custom Hats 14”, Sabian HHX evolution splash 7”,HHX evolution splash 12”, HHX China 18”, Paragon china 19”, AAX fast hats 14”,Prob8 ride 22", Paiste Dimmensions power bell ride 22”

I took my camera to shoot some vids, but i was doing almost everything myself so unfortunately had no time to record any video. The only visual "evidence" that has been deemed showable by the aesthetics police (my wife) is this photo:

Let me tell You that it took me one hour of studio time to tidy the room up and bring it to that condition.
Unfortunately moving drums in and out, changing heads etc. is quite a messy process...

I have not touched the samples yet as i was quite sick, but soon enough i will mix some easier instruments like snares/kicks and export them to dsnds to record a sneak peak video for You guys.

Cheers!

espen

sn47som

Sharkuel

Well I guess this project died.  :-\

ANGR77

Hi!

To create a sample for 2box and make it optimal...some steps are required...which takes a lot of time!

I am doing a Zourman project with a couple of samples. Even if you have an optimal recording...like in my case...(a studio with equipment worth $500K, 25 microphone positions, a rare and expensive drum to sample).... the required post steps to "pack it" to DSDN format are very time consuming.

I was recently talking to Endre ENerd who have made a couple of kits for 2box...where he hit the drum 1200 times per drum, remixed it with a dry or wet approach, controlled the overall level, then chop each sample into a separate wave file...checking the peak/rms of each hit and make a index of all the files before packaging them in tools like Drumit Editor/DsoundTool to create the DSDN file format. You need both time, skills and tools to make it happen. Endre did develop a couple of tools to streamline his process.

I know also from my interview in digitalDrummer with the guy behind the 2box sounds that they were  using a nice internal tool to speed up the process and the possibility to choose from 5 different mic positions in a late stage of the process when creating the DSDN file.

Best Regards

Anders / http://www.zourman.com

Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com