News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Mesh head muffling?

Started by welshsteve, July 17, 2016, 10:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

welshsteve

Hello everyone
My 12" 2box pad is in bits (piezos broken) and I am hoping to get new bits from Sweden for it soon. In the meantime I have a 12" Tama soprano snare that I stuck a mesh head on and a trigit trigger thinking it would be easy peasy.... Alas not.
I have tried all trigger types and combinations of gain, threshold and mask time and cannot get a really nice tracking like the 12" pad.
It appears I might have to muffle the head a lot or perhaps get a triple ply head of some kind. Anyone else have an issue. The main issue is double trigging. Raise the mask time enough and it goes, but forget about ghost notes, rolls and flams!
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

edtc

as you said , you need to muffle the head to get accurate triggering ...

scottcyp

You may not have to muffle.  It took a little bit of tinkering but I have no muffling on any of my drums.  I have all Remo Silent stroke heads.  Couple of things I did.

1.  I pre-stretched the head as much as I could

2.  Before tightening the head, I placed the trigger on first.  This allowed the trigger to ride on the head with very little compression on the foam.  Once the trigger was in place, I tightened the head more than I normally would but not much more.

3.  I cut a hole in the bottom head, about 10" in diameter to allow for ventilation.

Make sure you are using the Kits optimized for the trigits,  its in the new operating system download

These are the settings I used for the Trigger

This set up worked great, within the first few days I did notice that the head had to be tightened again, I assume this is due to some more stretch so if you run into double triggering tighten the head again. 

I have had no issues at all with double triggering setting up this way. 

Good Luck!

simedgoose

There's a much simpler solution. Leave your trigger settings as they are.

Get a piece of Moongel and cut it into quarters. Place a quarter piece between the head and the trigger. The gel acts as a natural noise gate, removing double triggers and generally cleaning up the signal going into the trigger.

I can't make claim on this but I've definitely been using this for 15+ years and works every time. It also improves the performance of larger (14"+) mesh heads which can be pretty tricky to get right.

You may need to tweak the gain up a little but that should be it.

Simon

welshsteve

Oh that sound interesting. I had a mare on the last tour with trying to get a 15" floor tom to trigger well. I was using mylar heads. Had to dampen them down a lot which was okay but I'll try your method next time out.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

mvdput

Quote from: simedgoose on July 18, 2016, 03:59:08 PM
There's a much simpler solution. Leave your trigger settings as they are.

Get a piece of Moongel and cut it into quarters. Place a quarter piece between the head and the trigger. The gel acts as a natural noise gate, removing double triggers and generally cleaning up the signal going into the trigger.

I can't make claim on this but I've definitely been using this for 15+ years and works every time. It also improves the performance of larger (14"+) mesh heads which can be pretty tricky to get right.

You may need to tweak the gain up a little but that should be it.

Simon

Simon,

For the moongel, How hard should the moo gel be compressed between the head and the trigger?
I tried this on my snare but not yet a satisfying result.