News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

What are the best things about the 2box?

Started by signature, April 10, 2010, 08:16:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

signature

Hi fellow drummers,

I already own a Mapex 6 piece. I had been looking to buy the td-20 but the salesman pointed out his new Drumit 5. It was less than half the price, and seemed more versatile, and certainly sounded great, although they only had it for a day and the hi-hat was not triggering very well when opened (for a classic 70's disco beat), and I couldn't control the double triggering on the bass drum, which triggered twice due to a combination of the bass drum moving and my foot action I guess.

I have never used an e-kit before, but i would like to use it with the band i have joined. We are still jamming, not yet gigging: 70's pop, r&B, disco, soul songs. I thought that the e-kit might give me the option of changing the kit sound for each different song we play.

However I have read a lot on this forum since then, and the overwhelming tone of the posts is there seems to be many difficulties with the kit. I think that it cannot be that bad so....

What are the best things about the drumit 5 kit?

puttenvr

It isn't that bad, but there are some theething problems
The hihat triggering is much improved with the new sofware update (be sure shops have the right version inside their module) and the ride triggering must be improved. A few mesh heads are cracked but this is not specific for 2Box. The rack is more stable than people expected initialty. And - yes -there are some guys around this planet who destroy everything. Even Sonor hardware and Zildjian Z cymbals. Main advantage of the 2Box is the perfect sound and triggering. And the open system. And the fine pads. And it's orange ...

kunkyape

It has the best pre-loaded sounds out of the box out of ALL the e-drum kits on the market. It is less than half the price of the Roland TD20.
It is open source so you can download your own sounds onto it.
It is not Roland who charge you the privilege of having THEIR brand with no real added value as you trade up their kits.
Triggering is accurate and represents excellent value for money!
There are a few issues with triggering on hi-hats as puttenvr said but the great this ihat updates are coming though think and fast to resolve all of this.
The hardware is ok, but if you wanted you can upgrade this over time, I have bought a gibraltar hardware pack as it gives me more versatility with the set up that I want but out of the box, it is more than adequate for the job.
After owning several e-kits including a roland and DDrum 4, this is the best of the bunch!

signature

Thanks guys, yes i had some difficulties with getting the hi hat to respond, particularly when trying to do a classic 70's disco beat! And i have grown into the colour, after initially thinking it was tacky! Now i think if it is gonna be an electronic kit, it may as well shout out, "I AM AN ELECTRONIC KIT, LOOK AT ME!" - but Puttenvr I presume your ardent approval arises particularly from orange being your home countries sporting colour of choice!

fishmonkey

either the kit in the shop didn't have the latest firmware update (which enables much better hihat response), or it wasn't setup properly...

puttenvr

Quote from: signature on April 11, 2010, 12:26:28 AMbut Puttenvr I presume your ardent approval arises particularly from orange being your home countries sporting colour of choice!
Not realy ( I don't like sport ). Orange just is a beatiful and original colour

signature

Well i like it too, and yes i hope that the hi hat wasnt setup properly as the salesman said it had only arrived the day before and hadnt been set up.
:P

puttenvr

I wonder how many instruments on this planet are NOT sold, because the shop keeper didn't set up things correcly or couldn't answer the most simple question ...

hwasser

The rack shakes a bit when you hammer on the toms and kick. but I dont get any crosstalk. However: using a real snarestand to the snare and u can set up a really sensitive snare without cross :) I bought a separate snarestand, and im glad i did now when i have the kit, it isnt that expansine, bought one for 40 € which is extremely stable

signature

Well in this case i think the shop keeper hadnt had the time as the kit had only just arrived, and he spent probably an hour with me as well. Good effort I reckon. I will be going back at some point in time!

Calimero

Quote from: puttenvr on April 11, 2010, 09:30:52 AM
I wonder how many instruments on this planet are NOT sold, because the shop keeper didn't set up things correcly or couldn't answer the most simple question ...

you could also argue that it s up to the manufactur to make an instrument that cant be set up incorrect.

puttenvr

That would skip all edit functions and leave no room for an open system

Manfred

Hi,

just my opinion about the 2Box-set:

pro:

- sound quality

cons:

- the editor is not available. no possibility to create sounds except of buying a tool which a 2Box-users has written
- hihat clatters
- unsteady snarestand
- multiple triggers at the snare (tried 4 snare-pads up to now)
- crosstalk from toms to ride cymbal
- trigger problems with cymbals (differentiation bell/bow)

If you ask me if I would buy it again: Yes, but I would wait until the editor is really available. The past shows that you can't trust any announcement regarding the release date. And maybe I would wait until the brain is available without the other hardware. A combination of a drum-tec diabolo set and the 2Box brain would be my favorite.

Baby Samus

Quote from: Manfred on April 13, 2010, 05:11:33 PM
Hi,

just my opinion about the 2Box-set:

pro:

- sound quality

cons:

- hihat clatters

What do you mean the hi-hat 'clatters'?  I use a yamaha hi-hat clutch so again I have no issues here - most drummers will replace these parts I think

- unsteady snarestand

I agree the snare 'basket' stand is weak compared to a real snare stand - the solution is to replace it or make sure the basket that comes with the kit is not moving with the rack too much.

- multiple triggers at the snare (tried 4 snare-pads up to now)

My snare does not double trigger at all, and I have the threshold set to maximum.  I am using a real snare stand, so it shows your problem is not related to the module or pads (the most important parts of the kit), but the lack of a real snare stand.

- crosstalk from toms to ride cymbal

Again, This simply does not happen on my kit.  There is no double triggering or crosstalk.  Once again this shows that its not the hardware at fault, your stand is probably not set up correctly, you have a faulty part, or your cymbals and toms are moving too much.

- trigger problems with cymbals (differentiation bell/bow)

Deve says this will be fixed in the next update, so you can cross this off the list.

Basically Manfred, I think all these problems can easily be solved - I have the same kit you do, yet I have none of the same problems.  My kit works great.  So it must be something about your kit, the way it is set up, or the need for a new hi-hat clutch or snare stand is the problem.

Manfred

Hi Baby Samus!

Of course there are workarounds for most of the problems. I also use my sonor hihat and a regular snare stand. But that doesn't change anything at the usability of the original 2Box equipment. The crosstalk can also be removed if i put the ride cymbal in a more upright position. But thats not the position i like to play it. Another possibility is to modify the cymbal holder with a piece of armaflex or use an extra cymbal stand. Otherwise the ride-cymbal triggers when i hit the rim of the second tom.

At the snare there are up to 4 triggers if i hit it one time. Other users have the same problem as you can see in several threads or this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBrUky2alvs

This can also be solved with a different mesh head, a piece of cloth or reducing the dynamic. But at my kit without any modifications there is no way with thres set to -48.

The problem with the cymbal triggers will be crossed off my list when the problem is solved. Just an announcement of a new software is not enough. Lets see if it can be fixed with an software update or if there are additional hardware-issues. And don't forget, the editor was announced for mid of march. So lets wait when the new software will be available.

For all of my problems you can find other examples at this board or at the german drummerforum. Maybe you have got the "golden" kit without any problems. But why do you use other hardware when everything is fine?

No doubt, the sound quality is very good and i like my set. But all these modifications shouldn't be necessary if you spend about 2000 Euro for a brand new drumset.