News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Quick hard bounce on foot pedal triggers bow of hi hat on rebound

Started by Devious123, March 09, 2016, 02:43:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devious123

This is probably a stupid ?, but I'm not a experienced drummer, and don't have a real hi hat set up to test whether it makes a sound once the pedal rebounds to the top of it's stroke, when quickly hit, and let go of.

In midi ox I get a foot chick then as it reaches the top of it's stroke it sometimes will cause a bow note to sound. I assumed this was not normal so when i set up the hi hat i turned the gain way down to like 2, and adjusted the hi hit so it wouldn't bounce back so fast to prevent this rebound sound from occurring. Is this hi hat rebound bow hit when quickly striking the pedal, and letting go fast something that should, or shouldn't occur. 

Devious123

I wasn't doing that technique per say, but yeah, I was letting up my foot really quickly with no heal action like in the video, but sometimes I would leave the foot on the pedal though. In both scenario's i would get a secondary bow note triggered approximately 5-15 cc4 notes later, that sort of made it sound  kinda like that foot splash. I didn't know it should be happening, so tried to set the hi hat so it wouldn't do that.

Coda

Maybe the piezo is picking up the vibration from the pedal topping out?

Devious123

I noticed that when i was looking at it last that after i hit it quickly, and let it rebound at the top of the stroke it kind of does like a little mini aftershock type bounces. My cymbal is to be about a 1-2 mm above the foam of the magnet. The cymbal stand I'm using is a falcon maypex. I might try moving the cymbal up higher.

In my guitar spring cavity i have a ESP Backstop which is meant to help hold the tuning on floyd rose type bridge. It has some springs that push back against the bridge, so that it stays in tune better. I wonder if this concept could be used on the top of the cymbal, so that it gives constant down pressure, which would allow it to not have secondary bounces? Probably silly thoughts.

Devious123

Here is a link of midi ox video of me hitting the pedal, and letting off fast. I think this is got to be a the sound for making a foot splash. So i did some adjustments to my hi hat so that it wouldn't bounce so much at the top. What is your thoughts on how well it is working, or sounds? I also managed to make it so if i don't hit fast it doesn't do the 1-2 two A secondary bow notes after the fact with the foot chick sound.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=442AA1A33DFFDE84!3625&authkey=!AN2Kslvfk8_zPEI&ithint=video%2cmp4