News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Hihat Pedal MIDI Note

Started by 510man, February 27, 2016, 03:12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

510man

I've started working with the 2box module as a MIDI sequencer sound source. I've managed to get all the sounds assigned except the hihat foot pedal "chick". Normally, this would be MIDI note 44(G#3) but 2box does not follow the MIDI standard. There's no foot pedal sound if I play through all the MIDI notes available in any kit.

A couple questions:
1) What is the foot pedal MIDI note number? I assume it's on the same channel as the open and closed sounds. The manual shows the hihat notes as A2, A#2 and B2 (33, 34, 35 respectively) but none of those produced a hihat pedal sound.

2) I had the same problem with the ride but was able to resolve the "bell only" sound be adjusting the "Sound (+++)" in the Kit Envelope screen. I tried that with the hihat but the sounds played are the open and closed hand sounds. No foot pedal sounds at all.

Thanks for any help.

Coda

What about the reverse, what note appears at the computer when you play a foot-splash? Note that it may just be a continuous controller message (CC1 or CC4 depending on what you set on the relative INT page).

510man

I don't have the full kit so no way to foot splach. I only have the 2Box module.

510man

Hooked it up to a keyboard. No foot choke sound. Remember, the keyboard should trigger ALL notes in a 2Box kit.

I'll reset the module in the event something of significance has been altered.

ANGR77

The pedal choke sound does not have an assigned midi note. The sound is generated by the speed in change from the cc:04 channel. Ok. To try explain the cc:04 Function...it is like if you play a note on your keyboard and at the same time use the pitch wheel. The pitch wheel will trigger a cc event.

You could try to use the pitch wheel on you keyboard to simulate the pedal. You need to change your cc channel on 2Box to cc:01 for the pedal.

Angr77

Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

Coda

ANGR77

Sorry...i wrote the wrong thing...I meant modulation...:-)
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

510man

Quote from: ANGR77 on February 28, 2016, 11:28:08 PM
The pedal choke sound does not have an assigned midi note. The sound is generated by the speed in change from the cc:04 channel.

A really poor design since MIDI, in general, never works like this. 

Quote from: ANGR77 on February 28, 2016, 11:28:08 PMTo try explain the cc:04 Function...it is like if you play a note on your keyboard and at the same time use the pitch wheel. The pitch wheel will trigger a cc event.

You could try to use the pitch wheel on you keyboard to simulate the pedal. You need to change your cc channel on 2Box to cc:01 for the pedal.

Angr77

The 2Box manual states it supports Ctrl 01 & 04. It's easy enough to toggle on the 2Box but the manual does not specify the hihat foot control needs be Ctrl 01. MIDI standard would be Ctrl 04. Once again, it's not the MIDI standard and DrumIt didn't make the info known in the manual. Grateful for the help on this forum or I'd never figure it out.

Unfortunately, the keyboard and pitch wheel resulted in nothing. I'm guessing I can assign Ctrl 01 to the keyboard pitch wheel but I'm not sure how to do it. Now I'll have to go study a Kurzweil manual to figure that out. Hopefully some progress after that.

Thanks again for the help. Stay tuned...

ANGR77

The manual...claims that B2 is the foot pedal. What is generated when pressning B2?

510man

I upgraded to the V1.30 OS and reset the unit to factory default. B2 now plays a splash and foot chick combined from the keyboard. I cannot separate them. The pitch wheel doesn't do anything. 2Box is set to controller 01.

The MIDI controller plays the splash only and the continuous controller does not integrate with the closed and open sound very well. If I need to play a funk beat, the hihat integration between samples is unacceptable. If I play and open hihat and then a foot chick, it should cancel the open hihat sound since it should be in a group. It doesn't. The splash and/or chick will play but the open hihat sound continues to play to the end of the sample. 

So I've made some progress but the 2Box hihat is not working anywhere close to how well the ddrum4 hihat works. I did learn through the process that changing the MIDI note assignments to the MIDI standard makes a mess. Need to go with the MIDI notes that DrumIt assigned to the 2Box and create a conversion map. This was why I reset the unit.

ANGR77

Hi!

I had to try this. First, to the audience: this is maybe not the most common scenario where somebody wants to use a keyboard to control the 2Box. But I could be wrong....

I am using a midi keyboard sending on midi channel 10. My modulation wheel is sending on cc:01. The 2Box hh pedal has been set to cc:01^ (The hi hat pedal seems to be reversed) Using the A1 note on my keyboard will trigger a bow hit and A1# triggers the edge. Using the modulation wheel will make a nice transfer between open and closed hi hat on both A1 and A1#. Using the B1 (Chick) after entering a open hi-hit bow or edge hit will result in a choke of the open hi-hat. A fast hit on the B1...will trigger a hi-hat splash.

So this works as good as it can. Yes, it is a pity that 2Box don't use common midi maps...where the hi-hat is spread over at least three keys on the keyboard. (Where you go from open to close)

I did also made the same test on my old TD-6 and directly in Logic triggering AD2. If using the Drummit 5 settings in AD2 it shows exactly the same outline of midi map as seen in 2Box. Same kind of problems if playing over a keyboard.

ANGR77.

510man

I think the part I'm missing is assigning Controller 01 to the modulation wheel in the keyboard. As I stated earlier, I'll have to research in the Kurz manual to determine how to do it.

The reason these settings become important is this would be EXACTLY how to setup a DrumKat. Unfortunately, the DK10 won't work with a 2Box since you can't setup the hihat controller to anything but Controller 04, as far as I'm aware. The DrumKat 3.8 and DrumKat Turbo support multiple controllers so one should be able to make that work.

Net, all is not lost on your research. Someone will use it. 

ANGR77

Hi!

Setting up 2Box to receive on cc:04 is no problem if using the Katxxx.

Best regards

Angr77

510man

Please post your 2Box settings.

I don't see where I can assign the controller number within the 2Box. The  manual doesn't cover it (manual is weak in general). If the controller can be assigned to Controller 04 in the 2Box, then a DK10 would work as well.

Also interested in your Kat MIDI note and controller settings, especially for the hihat.

Coda

Quote from: 510man on March 20, 2016, 05:58:58 PM
I don't see where I can assign the controller number within the 2Box. The  manual doesn't cover it (manual is weak in general). If the controller can be assigned to Controller 04 in the 2Box, then a DK10 would work as well.
It's on the HiHat page of INT I believe, where you calibrate it. You will see CC1 or CC4. Pressing the button changes it to the next one.
BTW - I don't think the manual is bad, it's just that the 2box is not an easy instrument to get to grips with in the beginning.