News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Roland td25kv

Started by Ryanbell44, March 19, 2016, 03:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryanbell44

I'm really sorry about posting this because I'm sure there must be loads!
I've been looking around the forum trying to piece together the answers to my questions but there's so much I just don't understand.
Basically I wanted a 2box but couldn't find one at the time cause they were sold out everywhere so I ended up with the Roland td25kv.
After having it a few months now I really like the look and feel of it but the sounds are awful.
I can't straight up sell it as I'm tied to a finance deal but I was thinking I could sell the brain and get the 2box brain.
Would it work?
What do I need?
Am I best changing the cymbals aswel(I hear 2box doesn't work very well with Roland cymbals)
Anything need to change with the hi-hat?
If I change the cymbals will I have to get new mounts to?
Will the 2box brain mount on the same thing the td25kv brain does?
And any thing else I need to take into consideration?
I apologise if this annoys anyone but I'd really appreciate someone's time.
Thanks

Ps hi I'm Ryan.:)

puttenvr

In short:
Tom and bassdrum pads will work
Snare can be a problem since the Roland uses a different system for rim triggering than the 2Box
Hihat VH-11 works with Jman's unit (contact him)
Crashes: no problem
Ride could be a problem since the Roland zones differ

Ryanbell44

So what's the solution to the crash and snare issues?
And how costly is it all?

Ryanbell44

Basically if I sell my td-20 module and by the 2box module what do I need to by to have an easy transition.
Sounds like I'll be better off selling the Roland cymbals and snare.
I figure 2box cymbals are a no brainer but what about the snare.
Need a dummies guide!

Jman

Actually with the latest 2Box OS that has improved trigger parameter choices the Roland center mount type mesh snare should be fine. Using the Pad12 for the head type and XRim as the Rim type in the 2Box module should work well. Additionally, if worried about the Hot Spot, choosing Pos1 or Pos2 as the trigger curve works well for eliminating that.
On the cymbals: Using CyEdg type in the module for the Crashes will give you similar triggering like on the Roland module: Bow/Edge/Choke. For the Ride, if you have a 3 zone Roland Ride plug into the Bow/Bell jack of the Ride cymbal and set the type to CyCup in the 2Box module you will get good Bow and Bell response, just no Edge. As puttenvr mentioned the one thing you would need is a HH conversion box. I have a thread here on the one I sell:
http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,1890.0.html
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Ryanbell44

I best get my td25 module up on eBay then :)
Just one final question.
What cables do I need to attach everything to the 2box?
And finally is it really worth it?
Is the 2box better than Roland?
Thanks for your time :)

Murgen

Quote from: Ryanbell44 on March 20, 2016, 10:51:51 AM
I best get my td25 module up on eBay then :)
Just one final question.
What cables do I need to attach everything to the 2box?
And finally is it really worth it?
Is the 2box better than Roland?
Thanks for your time :)

Is 2box better then Roland? That depends of what you are looking for. The Roland is mainstream, easy to setup and play, however limited in sounds. The 2Box playes samples and is harder to understand. Out of the box everything will be just as smooth as Roland, except the hihat which requires tuning and tweaking. You need to dig into the menu's to get the full scope and power of the 2Box module. That takes time and effort. But it pays off, you learn to master a truly open platform.

And you have choice, with JMans hardware modifications and triggers and Lustars excellent software you can built the kit you want.
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

Ryanbell44

Who are these people?
I've been reading reviews from 2012 and they aren't all that good.
My td-25 is up on eBay now so I've commuted lol
Sounds like there are a lot of hacks and tricks on the 2box.
Are these all easy to do?
Also will I need to buy new cables to connect everything to the module?
Does the 2box have a record function?
If I sell my Roland cymbals and buy 2box ones will the 2box ones attach to the Roland brackets?

Coda

IIRC the TD25 uses the same 25pin parallel printer connector that the TD9 had (I came from TD9). So you will either need to make a 25pin to jack splitter, or what usually happens is that when you sell the module, you sell the snake cable with it (otherwise the person receiving it has the same problem as you, but in reverse). Then all you need is a bunch of TRS cables of the right length to go to your pads. Either buy or make, if you can solder.
2box does not record anything.
I don't know about the cymbals I don't own any 2box ones.

Mods are easy:

• 32gb SDCARD in an extender mounted externally
  • hihat controller board so you can connect ANY hihat to the 2box
  • bass thumper for your throne
  • pressing a button on the module while you're playing live makes a girl appear with a beer
  • ...and so on :-D
All details on the forum. Look in the DIY section and the 'Selling' section.

Jman

Quote from: Ryanbell44 on March 20, 2016, 04:58:18 PM
Who are these people?
I've been reading reviews from 2012 and they aren't all that good.
My td-25 is up on eBay now so I've commuted lol
Sounds like there are a lot of hacks and tricks on the 2box.
Are these all easy to do?
Also will I need to buy new cables to connect everything to the module?
Does the 2box have a record function?
If I sell my Roland cymbals and buy 2box ones will the 2box ones attach to the Roland brackets?
I would suggest just start with the stock module and get accustomed to it before doing hacks right away. Many of the bad reviews out there are from people that get the 2Box but don't take the time to familiarize themselves with it. The interface is different from other brands. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand it, but it does take a little time to explore the screens, and features.
And since you are starting with a module and other brand pads you will need to setup the module parameters for those pads.

No cables come with the module. You will need TRS cables for each pad and cymbal. Hosa cables are inexpensive and what I have used for many years, or something similar ...... Some 10' and 15' cables are what you will need.
This place looks like they have a pretty cheap price on multi cable packs of the type with one Right Angle end like what you would need: http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Rockville-RCTR110R-B-10-1-4-TRS-Right-Angle-1-4-TRS-Straight-Cable-/351607042521?hash=item51dd69b1d9
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Hosa-CSS-115R-15-Foot-Right-Angle-1-4-TRS-1-4-TRS-Balanced-Audio-Cables-/391407088253?hash=item5b21ae327d

You will also need to mount your module. So you will need a module mount. Many of us simply took a common metal or plastic module mount similar to what Roland or Alesis uses and drilled a couple holes in it that will match the holes of the module. http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,1846.msg16561.html#msg16561

2Box cymbals mount on normal cymbal arms, you wouldn't need the metal V adapter that comes on the Roland rack arms, just the arms and cymbal felts/washers. But again, I would recommend just using the cymbals you already have, at least at first. Many that have bought the 2Box module have been using the Roland drums and cymbals with it. The one exception is the Hi Hat. Either buy a 2Box Hi Hat or use what you have with the mod box I mentioned.

All just my opinions obviously. J
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/