News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Hi-Hat calibration issues

Started by aff3, March 16, 2016, 03:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aff3

Hello fellow drummers.

I'm new to this forum, and I got an issue I hope you can assist me with.

I bought the 2box Drumit Five mk2 second hand. It sounds amazing, but I have issues with the Hi-Hat playing closed.

I have done a clean install to 1.26, and then updated the module to 1.30. But when i try to calibrate the Hi-Hat in the HPED section of the unit, i get "NoChg".

I start by pressing the data button. When it shows the closed symbol, I loosen the clutch, and let the Hi-Hat rest on the magnet. I then press data again, and when the open symbol is shown, I tighten the cluth of the Hi-hat in a position a bit over an inch from the magnet. Isn't that the right way?
i have also taken a picture of the setup:

I have also tried and switched the cables, but no luck there.

Can I open the Hi-hat to check for faulty wiring/boards? I have a bit of experience in electronics and soldering.

I still have warranty at the supplier, but I want to try everything, before I contact the supplier.

Cheers mates.

edtc

before you calibrate , set the hihat like you want it and fasten the clutch ...

- when the module asks for "closed "  , press with your foot as if you want a closed sound from a normal hi hat
- when the module says "open" , release your foot and press the button

Be sure you use a stereo jack

aff3

I have also tried that approach, with the same result.

The cable i'm using is this:

Drum2

To me it looks like the hat is to high above the magnet.

aff3

The position shown in the image, is the opened position.
When i press the pedal down, the Hi-Hat rests on the magnet.

Drum2

Yes it will, nevertheless the distance is to big when open, so it won't calibrate. Just put your HH a bit lower.

aff3

I just tried to calibrate with a spacing from a quarter inch to 2 inches. No luck there. :(

nocturnodrummer

Sorry to tell you, but I think that one of the parts in your hi hat has fried up. It is called hall sensor, and it's a small chip that, putting it plainly, measures magnetic field and converts it to voltage output. In that way module can interpret position of your cymbal. Search for my posts and you will find my thread with this problem. 2box even updated the circuit board once and it broke too in my case... So there is really no solution here. They sent me a new one free of charge but they were quite shocked that it happened again.

I recommend that you contact 2box directly and your distributor as well if you still have a warranty. There should be no problem in sending you a new circuit board. As for the solution on how to avoid the problem in the future, I came up with my own routine. Since the problem never occured while playing I came to the conclusion that the part fails either on the module start-up or shutdown. So, I power up my module and when the OS has loaded I then plug up my hi hat cable. Also, before turning it off, I disconnect my hi hat cable. So the point is that there is no physical connection with the module. It's been working so far but it's not an absolute. We'll see, maybe 2box will figure it out eventually.

aff3

Thank you for your post.

I will try and contact 2box directly first.

Is the circuit board easy to replace? :)

nocturnodrummer

Very, it is a matter of soldering four cables ;-)

aff3

Sounds great. :) I godt a reply  from them, saying they will ship a new circuit board to me monday. That's a great service!