News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Hi Hat Calibration tip

Started by Jman, February 28, 2016, 07:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jman

I decided to copy this here. It is an extra tip that I now include with my own Stealth 2Box HH stand conversion kits. I haven't played the stock 2Box Hi Hat for a long time so I can't compare side by side, but I can say that this little extra step is something that I always do with my own Hi Hat. Hope it helps.

The way I set up my HH calibration includes one little step that was included in the earlier operation manual. First do the HH calibration as explained in the 2Box manual or if you are using my own HH stand conversion kit follow my instructions. And after doing the calibration: With your foot off the pedal and the HH cymbal in the open spot; Hold onto the HH rod, and loosen the clutch nut being sure the clutch and cymbal do not move while loosening ...... then raise the HH cymbal/clutch position...... try about a quarter or half inch ..... Tighten that clutch nut with the cymbal slightly higher like that after calibration ...... For me it makes the HH work much smoother/natural, and HH foot splashes and foot chicks smoother too.

Here is that original tip from 1.24 manual:
Finally fix the hihat at a (possibly higher) open position which suits ones playing style.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

ANGR77

A real good tip JMan!

Best Regards

Angr77
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

ANGR77

Jman,

What would you claim to be your best hi-hat settings for the 2Box HH ?

For the bow/edge: -35 and neg1, xtalk?
Pedal: -6 and neg2 (it seems like if setting it too high...the chick starts to interfere with the bow/edge in a very nasty way...

Angr77

Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

NewEDrummer

This may sound silly but as you know J I was using a iron cob 2 legged HH stand
With 2 box hats. The cob has a fixed felt for the bottom hat ( magnetic sensor ) to sit
On and I was getting all kinds of trouble.
I didn't realise until I set my kit at home with the original 2 box stand with a metal
Disc for the sensor to sit on how much more responsive the hat was.
In all fairness it is still awful but it did improve.
Just something I noticed that may help folk?

Jman

Quote from: NewEDrummer on April 02, 2016, 08:00:27 AM
This may sound silly but as you know J I was using a iron cob 2 legged HH stand
With 2 box hats. The cob has a fixed felt for the bottom hat ( magnetic sensor ) to sit
On and I was getting all kinds of trouble.
I didn't realise until I set my kit at home with the original 2 box stand with a metal
Disc for the sensor to sit on how much more responsive the hat was.
In all fairness it is still awful but it did improve.
Just something I noticed that may help folk?

That is definitely an important tip. With the additional movement/play of the felt it could cause fluctuations in the transitions and wreak havoc. Additionally I have found that little extra calibration tip, raising the top HH cymbal just slightly after calibrating is important.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/