News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Kick drum vibrates and multiple tirggering

Started by Synthessis, March 26, 2010, 02:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Synthessis

Hello to everybody,

I just got the drumkit today. What a sound!!! Congratulations.

Now, I also have a problem with the kick drum. I can't get a single stroke. The bass drum is shaking and the bass pedal is vibrating on the drumhead. This happens when I leave the pedal head on the drumhead, which I tend to do while playing. Anybody has any idea what to do? Changing the style of play.... hmmm, is not the first option that comes to mind. On other drums (acoustic and electric) I never had such a problem.

Thanx for your help.

Synthessis

fishmonkey

there are some suggested workarounds for the kick drum double-triggering in this thread:

http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php?topic=204.0

as mentioned, it's not really faulty triggering, but the beater bouncing on the head. it's making me work on changing my technique to play the kick drum like you would any other drum (and i can use the bouncing as a special double-pedal effect!).

i'm wondering if a softer beater would help...

PonyTom

Yes! it happens to me to, it is quire annoying specially if you plan ro record something. They should fix this! to try and mirror what a normal kit does.

HM

Double hits on bass drum were a problem for me with my acoustic kit, too, and I changed my playing style. Actually, I think the acoustic BD sounds better, too, if one doesn't mute the head by leaving the beater on it after a hit.

Remi

Quote from: PonyTom on April 10, 2010, 10:42:04 AM
Yes! it happens to me to, it is quire annoying specially if you plan ro record something. They should fix this! to try and mirror what a normal kit does.

When moving your foot more to the top of the pedal, the double bounce is less.

Baby Samus

Quote from: Remi on April 10, 2010, 07:48:49 PM
When moving your foot more to the top of the pedal, the double bounce is less.

Well I had this issue too and I didn't need to change my technique really.  The mesh head is very bouncy so I just slackened off the tension of my bass drum pedal spring.  This gave me more control as the beater wasn't springing back as much after contact with the head.

Also make sure the base drum is attached to the rack securely, as it should not move much at all.  The rubber stand behind the bas drum should be tight to the floor.  Try to make sure the head is at the right tension too.

Hope this helps...

hwasser

Maybe this will help?

http://www.thomann.de/se/tdrum_protection_dot_bass_drum.htm

Read some threads on Vdrums and it protects the bass drum meshhead and make it survive longer. And because the protection dot are made of rubber it will also reduce a bit of rebound!

(also the Pintech version of this protection says one of it features is reducing of bounciness)

hwasser

I'll buy one of those next week so I will write if it works or not.

Frankly

Quote from: hwasser on April 19, 2010, 01:05:03 PM

Great! Looking forward to that!

roel

Quote from: hwasser on April 19, 2010, 01:05:03 PM

hmm Iam curious if this will work, if it works I will buy it too.

hwasser

Bought two of them instead:

http://www.thomann.de/de/tdrum_triggerball_beater.htm

read the reviews, they were very positive. (use google translate)

I will tell have it work later.

hwasser

Bought it and a yamaha PCY135. The yamaha DTX extreme and roland cymbals are like plastic toys, the underside of them are made of pure plastic and they weight like a ½ kilo. The 2box cymbals underside are made of metal and weight a lot compared to them (that makes the 2box cymbals move more realistic when u hit them). Also the DTX-cymbals only can be hit on the front, but it got a anti-spin device that makes it not spin. The sensivity isnt as good as the 2box cymbals, had to set the gain to +6, and the feel when hitting than was softer that the 2box cymbals, but it works very good as a crash (the edge and bow zones works good).

The rubber-beaters make the sound more muffled, (using double-pedals) the left pedal had like 70% reduced double-triggering, the right one had the same though, so I guess I just have to tweak it a bit. The feeling was better though, not that hard feel when beating the bass-drum, the feeling is a bit smoother. I'll be back for more info later

hwasser

now the double rebound is completely gone. I lowered the rubber-beaters so that the nearest point of the beater hitting is 1 cm from the trigger (is that okay? Those beaters arent so hard), the double rebound disapeared and the gain could be lowered from GAIN+18 to GAIN+9 .. Now its finally great! :) And those beaters feels better to play with.

Alex

That's great, i've just put in an order with Thomann for those beaters as well. I sent you a pm sometime last week asking about your band, do you have anything recorded with the drumit 5 yet?

roel

Quote from: Alex on May 02, 2010, 01:04:22 PM
That's great, i've just put in an order with Thomann for those beaters as well. I sent you a pm sometime last week asking about your band, do you have anything recorded with the drumit 5 yet?

I have those beaters @home including a T-drum mesh mesh protection dot.
And it works better.