News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Wonky cymbal triggering...

Started by fishmonkey, March 18, 2010, 10:49:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AA_

I'm sure there is no electronic problem.
The trigger is probably not in the middle. The rubber disc is to compensate for this.

that does not work correctly!

and now, mr. bengt?

Calimero

what about the hihat,have you had a look at that?

AA_

I have no problems with the Hi-Hat :)

fishmonkey

Quote from: AA_ on March 19, 2010, 11:26:27 AM
The trigger is probably not in the middle. The rubber disc is to compensate for this.

i am not so sure about that, it seems to me that the rubber disc is meant to transfer the bell hits to center area of the metal, and at the same time isolate them from the rest of the metal surface...

what i do know is that the top of the rubber disc is supposed to be glued to the softer main rubber, and the bottom of the disc needs to be glued evenly to the metal...

tim1987

It's reverted back to it's old ways! >:(

Is there any cymbal out there that is compatible with the 2box and will trigger accurately?

Thanks

roel

Quote from: tim1987 on March 25, 2010, 04:08:02 PM
It's reverted back to it's old ways! >:(

Is there any cymbal out there that is compatible with the 2box and will trigger accurately?

Thanks

yes I want to know this too, I ask some couple of times are the smartrigger or hart dynamics cymbals and hihats compatible with the drumit 5 module??? can anybody try this out? answer my question please.

Baby Samus

Quote from: roel on March 25, 2010, 05:12:06 PM
yes I want to know this too, I ask some couple of times are the smartrigger or hart dynamics cymbals and hihats compatible with the drumit 5 module??? can anybody try this out? answer my question please.

Guys forum member Viina has already posted multiple times saying that the Yamaha PCY-135/155 3 zone cymbals work on the 2Box as he has tested them...they are highly regarded e-cymbals and very well priced.

puttenvr

Roel, calm down
Hart Dynamics is used by some folks in the USA, merely Vdrum users
At this moment there isn't a single 2Box overseas. So: how could they try that out?
Same for Smart Trigger

And why do you think those cymbals will respond better than the 2Box cymbals?
I don't get your best of both worlds, either. Acouctic and electronics would be a best of borth worlds

Calimero

"Best of both world"

best on 2box :sounds
best on yamaha : hardware

get sounds from 2box ,hardware from yamaha you get best of both worlds.. :drum1:

orly

I'm not quite sure about that, maybe on cymbals but for the pads ... and the yamie rack looks awful.

Baby Samus

Quote from: Calimero on March 25, 2010, 09:30:37 PM
"Best of both world"

best on 2box :sounds
best on yamaha : hardware

get sounds from 2box ,hardware from yamaha you get best of both worlds.. :drum1:

+1 for Yamaha Hardware.  They do after all make motor cycle parts, and I think a lot of their hardware is made in the same factories. So they know a thing or two about making hardware in general, and not just in the music business.  I've still got all the hardware from my old yamaha tour custom accoustic kit, which I got around 17 years ago.  Its been through hell and back, and its still in good condition and working order.  All double braced - even the base drum pedal that came with it is still going strong!  I've never used better stands and pedals to be honest for the price.  Never had a yamaha rack so can't comment on how good they are, but if anyone can recommend a compatible rack for the 2Box feel free.

As for what's the best combination, in my opinion I think the 2Box snare, tom and base drum sounds are good enough to use live for even a pro - I have heard many big bands using Roland live and it just doesn't work.  Example - Rick Wakeman - The 6 wives of Henry the 8th live at Hampton Court Palace - its a blu-ray in HD so good sound quality played through my 200 watt floor standers, and the drummer is using a TD-20. Straight away, you can hear that trademark 'fake COSM sound' a mile away and they stand out in the mix, in a bad way.  Because the way v-drums work using COSM algorithms instead of real samples, your ear will tell you straight away that this is not a real drum when you hear it, and so your mind does not accept it.  (Please correct me if its only me that feels this way).  Several musicians I know have heard the 2Box without knowing whether it was an accoustic or electronic, and could not tell the difference when its in the mix - that says a lot to me.

As an ex-Roland v-drum owner, it was like being in the Matrix.  You wake up every day and play your Roland kit, but you know something is wrong.  You're not quite sure what it is, but you can feel it every day.  You can feel it when you eat, when you go to work.  You can feel it in the thousands of dollars gone from your bank account.  You can sense it in the insulting way that your module is filled with sounds of dogs barking and bubbles that you will never, ever use.  Thats how I felt almost every day of the 8 years I used v-drums for.  Until I was offered the choice of the Blue pill (more Roland) or the Orange pill (the unknown world of 2Box).  I wasn't sure I wanted to see how deep the rabbit hole went at first, and it has been a bumby ride, knowing I'm now one of the few remaining drummers in Zion and not part of the huge army of swarming v-drum owning squiddies who want to tear me to shreds.  I digress... ;)

But I have to say that you simply cannot reproduce a real cymbal's characteristics, playability or subtlety using samples or algorithms and an e-pad.  As far as I am concerned it is a pointless exercise - real cymbals just sound better, they're better to play as a surface, they offer more control to the player, they are far more dynamic.  For home use or triggering other sounds I will keep my 2Box cymbals of course - they are perfectly good e-cymbals.  But for recording and live, it has to be real metals my friends...

puttenvr

HM

I also have Yamaha cymbal stands with my acoustic set. They're great an I very much recommend Yamaha hardware. I wish though I had someone to carry them for me, they're damn heavy.

hwasser

About those yamaha cymbals (now im going to buy 2box kit when I know I can buy 2nd crash (or primary ride, it depends on which i prefer, both are 3 ride with choke), how do I mount it with the 2box? Do I have to buy a yamaha cymbalmount arm (does it fit to the 2box rack?) or do I have to buy a ordinary cymbal stand?

alainV

Quote from: Baby Samus on March 26, 2010, 03:14:35 AM
Rick Wakeman - The 6 wives of Henry the 8th

wow.... I use to spend hours listening to this music...