News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Wonky cymbal triggering...

Started by fishmonkey, March 18, 2010, 10:49:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishmonkey

as the previous thread about faulty cymbal triggering vanished into cyberspace, i'm starting a new one...

i whipped up this garish diagram to make it easier to explain how the triggering works on both my 14" crash/ride cymbals.

• firstly, Zone 8 (the edge) seems to be fine, as does the choke mechanism.
  • the red areas are where Zone 3 is triggered (as you can see, most of the bell is also Zone 3, although much louder than the bow).
  • the purple areas are where Zone 1 is triggered. in the area where it triggers on the bow, it is quieter than on the bell itself.

presumably Zone 3 should only trigger on the bow, and Zone 1 only on the bell...

i have been in communication with Bengt about this issue, and i will keep this thread updated as i find out more.

UC

My eyes! My eyes! ;D

As admin of the board I've got to apologise for the missing thread, although I haven't a clue how or why it happened, and it seems like the originator of the thread doesn't know either!

Cheers
Tom

tim1987

Yes, I haven't got a clue about what happened to the previous thread.

Just to remind everyone that I took off the rubber and everything triggered perfectly which indicates some kind of isolation problem through the rubber?

I know it's a bit risky, but seem as they don't work properly anyway, I thought I may as well try it and with interesting results!

Zone 3 should just be the bow and Zone 1 should just be the bell.

AA_

I recognized the problem.
- The rubber disc in the middle does not stick.
- The rubber disc is warped and very stiff.
- The rubber disc is dirty.
- The adhesive is poorly served.

spiritus and a hairdryer helps :)

hwasser

Whoops. This better be fixed before the next released. =/ I can take software-based problem, but I won't buy products with hardware-problem.

madmanmafimardi

Quote from: hwasser on March 18, 2010, 02:41:14 PM
Whoops. This better be fixed before the next released. =/ I can take software-based problem, but I won't buy products with hardware-problem.

I have not had any experience with any listed problems on the 2box kit so far, other than the whole hihat issue.

But if suddenly there is any hardware problems, Bengt and the guys MUST give good instruction on repairing the cymbs or triggers and so on...
Then they can focus on software and editor stuff....
Wich glue too use, replacementrubber what kind of rubber is it? everything used on 2box kit, must be registered with a code or number, so that we can order it or something close ourself.

3drum

Hey AA,
Since you have found the culprit to the faulty triggering, have you corrected the problem by glueing the rubber properly? And if you have performed this, would you say that the problem is 100% solved?

AA_

Quote from: 3drum on March 18, 2010, 05:37:53 PM
Hey AA,
Since you have found the culprit to the faulty triggering, have you corrected the problem by glueing the rubber properly? And if you have performed this, would you say that the problem is 100% solved?

the triggering of the bell is only correct with a proper mounting of the rubber disc. I have tested this successfully without rubber coat.
after an hour, the connection again loosened. the rubber is too stiff and does not stick permanently.
I will replace the tape and try again.

3drum

Hey AA,
Keep us posted on your progress. Someone from 2box should respond to this thread. Their silence is almost an admission of guilt!

AA_

the trigger has now become a little cleaner (new tape). But there are small areas of Zone 3 in the bell (Zone 1), which are very loud. with and without rubber disc!

may be the mounting of the pizzo is not optimal?
it reassures me that many people also have the problem. But it needs to be solved anyway.

fishmonkey

i took the rubber off one of my cymbals, and the rubber disc is bonded to the main piece of rubber by some stray adhesive. the disc wasn't glued to the metal at all, i didn't even realise that it was supposed to be a separate piece...

AA_

this is an answer to our questions? See screenshot.