News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Top software features that you would like added?

Started by Scottie, February 08, 2010, 11:44:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

add support for playing with brushes?

Yes! Can't live without it!
46 (29.1%)
No - other features are more important
80 (50.6%)
I don't care - what is this "jazz" thing anyway?
13 (8.2%)
Give Puttenvr a light for his kick drum
19 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 26

puttenvr

Even in a moderate cafe I play with a sound system and a sound engineer. It's not about playing loud, but for a good sound.

Believe me: those inside effects aren't that good (the reverbs mostly scream) if you compare them with an adequate (not even the most expensive) reverb unit from TC Electronic or Lexicon.

nonoduweb

Quote from: puttenvr on November 21, 2010, 08:26:46 AM
...those inside effects aren't that good (the reverbs mostly scream) if you compare them with an adequate (not even the most expensive) reverb unit from TC Electronic or Lexicon.

I think you're right for the reverbs. Not important, and it seems that the module doesn't have integrated effects. (It works with 2 sounds. I tested it when I played with the midi in and out to have two layered sounds).
However, it would be good to have some EQ settings.

hwasser

Quote from: nonoduweb on November 21, 2010, 08:41:33 AM
I think you're right for the reverbs. Not important, and it seems that the module doesn't have integrated effects. (It works with 2 sounds. I tested it when I played with the midi in and out to have two layered sounds).
However, it would be good to have some EQ settings.

Yeah, hope there will come a eq function in next version of module. That cant be so hard on the module, every phone and mp3 got it nowadays :p

Mesursur

yes, EQ, but not ddrum3 like. A 3 or 4 way eq with Q control. So you dont have to eq your sample before you put it in the module. Than it's possible to make a lot of different sounds from one good sample (kick)

madmanmafimardi

Good EQ processing needs cpu power too......a fact.

Mesursur

if a ddrumAT can process a 3 band eq, than the 2box can definitely do the trick( I hope). or just add a quadcore co-processor for the eq  ;)

Peter W

Quote from: puttenvr on November 21, 2010, 08:26:46 AM
Even in a moderate cafe I play with a sound system and a sound engineer. It's not about playing loud, but for a good sound.

Believe me: those inside effects aren't that good (the reverbs mostly scream) if you compare them with an adequate (not even the most expensive) reverb unit from TC Electronic or Lexicon.

I used to have a Lexicon PCM91 and the ambience setting in the tdw20 expansion card is very similar. The setting called reverb is not. The dtxtreme III's reverb is definitely better than a $200 lexicon. I don't own a 2 box and never will if you cannot adjust room sound per drum[Even the Yamaha dtxpress 4 does that]. I suppose you could layer samples of dry and room as an alternative if they had a layering feature.

That is great that you have a sound engineer for a cafe. I have never seen one in a small cafe in Northern CA or Los angeles. How big are these cafes and where are they?

Peter

nonoduweb

puttenvr

roel

Add To Poll: Give Roel A Mk2 Rack. ;)

Geoff

Reverb & ambience controllers (and other sound effectors)
More percussion instrument sounds
Different stick types, brushes, hotrods, mallets

puttenvr

Quote from: Geoff on December 14, 2010, 09:30:25 AM
Different stick types, brushes, hotrods, mallets

To play with, or to be simulated?

edtc

Hi guys , here is my letter to SANTA DEVELOPER...:)

first , before complaining and asking i must say that Drumit Five rocks ... i really enjoy this peace of gear , it has quite all an Edrummer needs ... lots of IN/OUTS , great sound , great triggering ... great colour :)

i use the module with a mix of vintage Pearl roland piezo pads , and some DIY pads ans a real HIHAT .I monitor with headphones and a loud bass shaker .

As the module is sold alone , it could be great to add more possibilities for people who dont use 2box pads and cymbals.

here are some I'd like in future OS

-    possibility to reduce gain on a pad input

-    possibility to chose a minimum and maximum trigger level for each input or sound .
-    internally mapping a single sound to 2 different pads, for example the kick sound triggered by kick in   and also tom4 in .

-   It could be great to use cymbals and hihat inputs as normal triggers inputs . I don't know it is possible to use cymbal input as a double trigger , but only if we could use it as a mono tom or a "loop player" it would be nice .

-     Adding some "crosstalk" support

-    Adding support for non piezo pads , like switch pedals ... imagine 2 switches on a dual input , you could use to trigger sounds , or changing some parameters or programs , use to control TAP TEMPO , stop or start a loop  ... or even switching on PuttenVR 's blue light  :)

-   Adding support for other brands cymbals and hihat systems .Maybe it is not "commercially correct" , but maybe it could open more markets for the module ... who knows :) .. and more flexibility for users

-   possibility to use the songs wavs as "double mono" ...for example , one could have a click on left side and a song on right side of the wav file .then route the left(click)to the headphone mix , and the right(song)to the output mix or a separate out .

-   On the envelope of the sound , it could be usefull to chose the length more precisely from ZERO to infinite .. mean more than the 10 sec before infinite ...

-   Adding a low pass filter could help a lot on some Toms or kick

A lot of users bought the module because of its ability do play "loops" and samples  .. so it s time to have some improvements .

-     Midi clock sync the module from another sequencer . For example to use internal click when playing in sync with a sequencer or arpeggiator ...

-     Midi clock sync an external sequencer from the module and possibility to send start or stop  messages from a pad input , or use internal tap tempo to control midi tempo .

Adding a "loop and sample player" in the module . For example , on a dual input , the "skin" triggers the loop , and the rim stops it . One could chose if the sound is "loop" or "one shot"

To be usable while playing , loops have to be in sync with the metronome , so i was thinking of Ableton live way of triggering what they call"CLIPS" with a " tunable quantization .I m not talking about real time time stretching that would be impossible for the drumit CPU ...

For those who dont use Ableton , when triggering a "CLIP" with a midi note , you can choose to quantize the start of the sound ... when choosing quantize to lets say a BAR , if you hit the note before the BAR starts , the sound triggers right at the beginning of next BAR in perfect sync with the metronome
... the loop repetition could also be synchronized with midi tempo so even if the loop length is not precisely set on the wav file , it is still in sync with tempo while repeating .   .

I guess this kind of "basic sequencing " don't need a lot of CPU power , i just hope that it s possible to achieve as I don know anything about programming ... i just have some ideas :)

- what do you think about MIDI controlling internal parameters ? for example , using a midi remote to control the internal mixer , individual sounds  or parameters without the need to go into the menu ...

this midi mapping could be edited on a computer , in a new section of the new 2box editor :)

-    is it possible to improve the module so that when you change the preset , the sounds change instantly ... ?

-    It would be nice to have different presets available for the trigger unit  section ...lets say 10 presets , so you can recall different configurations for each use , pad configuration , or playing strength , type of drumsticks ...

I am aware that   improving tweaking possibilities of the module could be confusing for people who are using the system "out of the box" and don't need this jungle of parameters . So why not adding a "custom setup mode" for people who needs it , and leave a "standard setup mode" fot those who dont ...

To end this long list , again I love this 2box module , and have a lot of fun playing  with it (even with a bad SDcard for the moment ;) )
... I spent the last 20 years on stage , playing with bands and working as a sound tech  . I'd love to share my experiences to enhance this E-drumming system , because I'm convinced it has a huge potential , and already meets quite everything a professional player needs . I m also sure it could do a lot more...:)

Sorry for my "French guy" English ..:) but it s a Edrum forum , not an English contest  ...
Sorry also if some features I asked for are already in the module or in this forum , I wasn't "everywhere" yet :)

Wish you all the best for 2011 ...

nonoduweb

A lot of very good ideas.  ;)

Comme on dit chez nous, y'a plus qu'à!