News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Top software features that you would like added?

Started by Scottie, February 08, 2010, 11:44:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

add support for playing with brushes?

Yes! Can't live without it!
46 (29.1%)
No - other features are more important
80 (50.6%)
I don't care - what is this "jazz" thing anyway?
13 (8.2%)
Give Puttenvr a light for his kick drum
19 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Mesursur

ok, but i still like them. with all the respect, I dont like the sound of roland, but they have some good things and why shouldn't that be included? Good sounds + good features. Looks like a win win combination. Blotekonten module

p929

As far as I know, in order to include things like overhead mics, new samples are to be recorded and included in the module (please correct me if i'm wrong). If so, are you aware how large will be the size of the dnsd file? (we will need the 100 GB card readability then ;)). If you think it can be done soft-wise then we're talking is about modeling sounds, i.e. C.O.S.M. (ô_Ô)

If you're concern about recording and live performance, I'd suggest you acquiring an external device.

Evy

I think saying C.O.S.M in this forum is like saying Voldemort!!!  I just want new sounds to play with...something in a Dave Weckl vain.

Mesursur

When we recorded the ddrumAt, the ddrum4se and the ddrum3, we always needed to add extra reverbs, echo, etc and stuf, but it never sounded (of course not) like a real, good drum-reverb-room. Always the closed mic sounds. Nice for metal, but sometimes you want something to be better. And now is the time  :).

fishmonkey

i think maybe this was mentioned somewhere, but i don't have the time to read 12 pages of this thread to check...

it would be really great if there was a page on the 2box brain with a MIDI value display. at the moment you can only see the volume level, but that is dependent on the sample and how the kit piece is configured, so it doesn't tell you what the actual MIDI value is.

i would like to reconfigure my whole module for my playing style so that the full MIDI range is used for each kit piece. then i can switch from using the kit as a trigger for drum software on my computer (BFD2, Session Drums, etc.) and the built-in sounds without the volumes being all messed up.

lite

- filters, filters, filters. (Just me wanting dynamic real time sound influence?)
- position sensing in conjunction with appropiate pads (support for center piezo type pads)
- compatibility with other brand hi-hat- and ride cymbal pads

Slagverket

Quote from: Mesursur on November 09, 2010, 11:05:51 PM
... but it never sounded (of course not) like a real, good drum-reverb-room. Always the closed mic sounds. Nice for metal, but sometimes you want something to be better. And now is the time  :).

Amen to that!!! It would be ultra cool if that was managed  8)

Slap the drummer

DECAY SETTING

I would like to see the decay setting changed so that there is more to choose from between
infinite and the 10 second slot.  In terms of audibility 10 seconds seems to choke off the ride
cymbals very quickly - what I mean is, it sounds more like only 1 or 2 seconds.

Cheers

:patbat2box:

Peter W

Quote from: puttenvr on November 09, 2010, 07:11:37 PM
With all the respect, but these are Roland features of which most members are glad we don't have them at 2Box

I don't think a send to reverb and EQ are Roland ideas. These are standard if you are setting your kit up with a PA and you most likely need to run all separate outs now to a mixer for serious live sound. Yamaha has an excellent EQ,comp and reverb in the dtxtreme,but the samples are too reduced in quality and velocity layers.

I would think this should be a priority along with ride and hi hat triggering.
Peter
www.realtribal.com

puttenvr

All e-drum modules have effect processors, which are nice for playing at home but not good enough for live or studio use. So the sound engineer will ask you to turn them off. Also since he wants to control the fx himself.

fishmonkey

exactly.

it is very unlikely that the processor in the 2Box module is powerful enough to do high quality reverb or EQ, and any decent sound engineer will want to control that stuff directly from the mix position.

nonoduweb

We all don't work with a sound engineer, or on a stage, and it's sometimes necessary to use a reverb or change an EQ in our headphone or own speaker.
That said, there are perhaps more important features to add.

fishmonkey

i agree that they would be handy to have, but i strongly disagree that they are essential for "serious live sound".

Peter W

I would say Eq is essential after hearing those kicks in the 2box. You could do it with an external mixer but it is more wiring to bring and time to set up. I have done a lot of gigs where i am doing my own sound and it needs to be very good. With my former Roland and Yamaha kits,I was able to set EQ and reverb presets that worked in almost every room. I usually had to just adjust the kick EQ and amount of snare reverb.

What kind of gigs do you guys do?

Peter

Peter W

Quote from: puttenvr on November 20, 2010, 06:41:03 AM
All e-drum modules have effect processors, which are nice for playing at home but not good enough for live or studio use. So the sound engineer will ask you to turn them off. Also since he wants to control the fx himself.

I would say the Roland td20 expanded and Yamaha dtxtreme III have high quality reverb for live use. The TD9 does as well but the drum sounds are very electronic. The other modules do not have good reverb from what I have heard so far. I have found that the EQ does not have to be that great to be useful, especially on kick.