News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

2Box to USB/MIDI computer connection?

Started by sn47som, January 17, 2016, 11:26:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sn47som

Hey guys, do I need to install special drivers on my laptop to run the 2Box module midi/usb direct to my laptop to trigger VST samples? Thank you

edtc

USB is only to access the memory and add sounds ...

There is no MIDI connecton thru it...

sn47som

Sounds like you didn't understand my question but thanks for trying. Did you read it all? I need to know if I can connect a USB/MIDI interface cable from the 2Box module (MIDI) to my laptop (USB) and trigger Superior Drummer this way on the kit. Do I need an audio interface for this also? Do I need to install midi drivers on my laptop or 2Box drivers? (although I haven't seen 2Box drivers available)
If you don't understand it's cool, I'm hoping someone that does will chime in.

teletom007

Hallo,
ich habe unter Windows7 ein USB/Midi Interface-Kabel mit dem Drumit5 vebunden. Es war Plug&Play, keine benötigten Treiber, keine Probleme.

Hello there,
I have  USB / MIDI interface cable connected under Windows7 with the Drumit5. It was plug and play, no driver, no problem.

sddon

Hi, yes you can connect your 2box through a midi interface to trigger Superior Drummer. Depending on the midi interface you may need to download drivers from the net to your lap top. Some will come with firmware built in and will set themselves up when you plug them in. I use a Roland UM-ONE midi interface. Can't remember if it was firmware or not.

An audio interface connected via usb could be used if you are experiencing any latency on the audio from your lap top sound card. My pc  can't keep up so I use a Lexicon Alpha for the audio.

Hope this helps. My first post on this site. Been lurking for a while.

Cheers

sd

Dashriprock

I use midi to trigger with a audio interface Asio driver windows 7 superior drummer 2 ,no problem.

sn47som

Cool thanks for replying and welcome to the site!!  :rock:

Yes I know I can use an audio interface but that's exactly what I am trying to avoid. My question was about only using a USB/MIDI cable. Going MIDI out from the 2Box direct into my computer via USB. I don't want to by a dedicated audio interface, just a USB/MIDI cable is all I want to use. I need it confirmed that I can do it this way. I hope I don't have any latency issues. I do have a high end gaming PC so I'm thinking the sound card is good. Is it better to use a dedicated audio interface?

sn47som

Quote from: Dashriprock on January 20, 2016, 03:18:54 AM
I use midi to trigger with a audio interface Asio driver windows 7 superior drummer 2 ,no problem.

I don't want to use an audio interface. I only want to directly connect the module to a pc either with a USB to USB connection or a MIDI out to USB direct pc connection (no dedicated audio interface). I prefer to do USB to USB direct connection. Can I do this with the 2Box to trigger SD2.0? Thanks for your help guys.

sddon

Ok, let's see if I can make this clearer.

You do not need to use an audio interface.

You do need to use a midi interface. When you have connected the midi interface and it has installed any firmware you will be able to trigger Superior Drummer.

There is no such thing as a midi/USB cable.

A direct 2box to pc connection is used for editing sounds and kits for the built in SD card. It will not trigger Superior Drummer.

Cheers

sd

sn47som

you're almost there bud, wat i mean is a cable like this. you say theres no such thing but i beg to differ. i would call this a usb/midi cable. so would this be all i need to trigger sd with the 2box? It should install drivers automatically when plugged in then I'd be good to go? If this type of interface was what you meant okay, you just weren't clear enough. let me know if this is all i need. thanks

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MConnect?adpos=1o1&creative=55226096281&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KEQiA_fy0BRCwiLaQ5-iFgpwBEiQA884sOQmYnyJbBcfoOiFKLtL1JNExvz0FsOox1YnmCQHrMt0aAoxT8P8HAQ

sddon

yep, that's all you need.

I would call that a midi interface. To me, a cable is just a cable with nothing in the middle.

cheers

sd

Coda

Does not need drivers installing, as it is a standard USB Class device and the drivers for those are built in to the OS (Mac/Win/Linux etc).

sn47som

Thanks a lot guys for the help!
Would that one suffice just fine or do you recommend a higher quality cable interface?
Is it better to get a dedicated audio interface from presonus or something like that? Is there less latency better signal?

Coda

Those cheap USB Midi interfaces are usually very bad, because they connect grounds from MIDI in to MIDI out which is against MIDI spec, and it causes ground loop in your equipment which causes digital noise in your audio.
Really if you are going to use VST for live drums then you will need a decent audio interface anyway. In your case I'd recommend a decent USB (or Firewire if you have a Mac which has it) combined audio + midi interface.
Anything from presonus, m-audio etc. There are many, look on Thomann.

sn47som

Thanks so much man. Can you do one last thing for me? Can you choose the cheapest one that would still yield good results and post the link? Thanks so much.  :rock: :drum2: