News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Curses, I need a DAC

Started by Murgen, January 17, 2016, 09:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Murgen

Setup a 2010 Mac in my drumcabin, hooked it to the mixer via the headset output and have a lot of noise and distortion on the channels. I managed to isolate the issue back to the Mac itself. The headset output picks up every electronic signal in the Mac it seems. I wnt to solve this via an USB DAC. Any recommedations?
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

Coda

Can you be more specific re: the model number, it may have an dual wired/optical or digital out somewhere.

Murgen

It is a 27 inch Mac from middle 2010. I checked the interfaces, next to 4 USB 2.0 it has 1 Firewire 800 port. I think about an USB stick with built in DAC. On the A&H ZED10FX I have cinch input (red and white) and right now I connect Mac with mixer via headphones out to cinch in. So the DAC must have cinch output or 3.5 headphones output.

Thank you for thinking with me!
--------

Coda

As I suspected, if it's an iMac, and this one: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-i7-2.93-27-inch-aluminum-mid-2010-specs.html#macspecs2
...then it has an optical audio out. Both my wife's macbook pro, and my mac mini I recently sold had the same headphone socket. If you look inside it you might even see a red shining light.
Generally you will need this first: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Tex-TosLink-Optical-Adapter-Adaptor-Black/dp/B003WUHKA8
then a TOSLINK cable like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001NUQPKU?psc=1

....wait a moment. That ZED10FX has a USB port on it. Plug that into your mac and you'll have a direct audio connection.

ANGR77

A USB Dac will probably be worse than the built In audio in your Mac.i would recommend a cheap 2 channel USB audio interface from focusrite etc. then you will get lower latency, 3,5/6,5 mm phone jack and also a balanced audio output for your mixer...and the sound will be perfect!

Best regards

Angr77
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

Murgen

Quote from: Coda on January 17, 2016, 08:07:55 PM
. That ZED10FX has a USB port on it. Plug that into your mac and you'll have a direct audio connection.

I feel stupid, it is bi-directional ... Will try first thing in the morning. Big hug ;)
--------

Murgen

Quote from: Coda on January 17, 2016, 08:07:55 PM
That ZED10FX has a USB port on it. Plug that into your mac and you'll have a direct audio connection.

You made my day! I feel very stupid but only used the USB on the ZED for recording but it works bi-directional. Just hooked it up to the Mac and it works perfectly. A&H is a great mixer ... thank you so much for thinking ahead of me ... :)
--------

Coda

You're welcome, we're all here to help each other :)