News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Record 2box

Started by westerlu77, January 29, 2010, 07:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westerlu77

I'm as you understand of this question a acoustic drummer and a beginner of e-drums until now when I bought the great 2box. I want to record the drumitfive module sound into Logic as you should do it normally drumsession with channel for bassdrum, snare, hihat and so on.
I know that I have 6 outs from the module and the easiest way would be I guess to separate all channel via a external interface with let say 8 in. I will buy that soon but it is possible to record via out 1-2 and separate all parts of the set with different midichannels?
Please help me! I'm a little confused right now..

b

If you want to record midi data, then you are going to need some midi cables and a midi interface for your computer. you won't be able to do anything with midi using the audio outputs 1 and 2.

westerlu77

I do have a usb to midi cable from the module to the computer but is it possible to separate all midichannels and hear them when you record them?

NeilC

OK, recording with the MIDI outs will record all the MIDI data sent from the unit. It will play back the Drumit if you have MIDI going from Logic back to the brain, but you will need to feed the signal audio signals either back into Logic, into a mixer with the PC connected as well, or use a VSTi.

Recording from 1+2 will mean you have a wav file that you will not be able to seperate.

viina

Quote from: NeilC on January 31, 2010, 06:51:08 PM
OK, recording with the MIDI outs will record all the MIDI data sent from the unit. It will play back the Drumit if you have MIDI going from Logic back to the brain, but you will need to feed the signal audio signals either back into Logic, into a mixer with the PC connected as well, or use a VSTi.

Recording from 1+2 will mean you have a wav file that you will not be able to seperate.

Yes right but how about to feed the brain from Logic MIDI track and then start record every tom, snare, crash etc separately?
first in brain put bass drum to output 1 and other instruments to other outputs. record that output 1.
next take snare and put it to out 1 and other instruments to other outputs. record that output 1.
follow so until all drums, toms ,cymbals, eggs or whatever else U using, will be recorded.
now U have every piece from your drum rack on different channel in Logic.
It takes time but its possible to record drums without having multiple inputs in soundcard. Feel free to mix full drum track now.

NeilC

Oh I understand now, yes this would be the only way without a multi-in soundcard. It is perfectly do-able as I have done so before, but very time consuming.

westerlu77

Can someone tell me if it's possible to record more than one midichannel simultaneously? So let say that bassdrum is on midich. 1, snare 2 etc..

HM

Quote from: westerlu77 on February 02, 2010, 04:59:51 PM
Can someone tell me if it's possible to record more than one midichannel simultaneously? So let say that bassdrum is on midich. 1, snare 2 etc..
In the midi signal a different note is assigned to each drum, so it should be possible to extract single drums in an editor even though everything is on one midi channel. This is how I would do it.

viina

Quote from: HM on February 02, 2010, 05:28:11 PM
In the midi signal a different note is assigned to each drum, so it should be possible to extract single drums in an editor even though everything is on one midi channel. This is how I would do it.

Yes right. You dont need to record to different channels. Every tom, snare, cymbal etc will be on same channel but under different note.

westerlu77

But I thought that it would be easier if that's possible. If you have just a external interface with 2 in and want to record with sounds into the module you have to record them midi then create a audiofile, mute all other drums than bassdrum, let say and so on.. So it takes double amount of time.
I need to have the possibility to eq, put effects to every each sound.

Calimero

I feel that the easiest way then would be to use superior drummer/bfd.It gives you everything you want and then some.
Yet it would mean the samples in the 2box wouldnt be used and that the 2box basicly is used as trigger to midi converter.From what I understand it needs some fiddeling to get it to work proparly.I can understand this is not your original idea,I understand your idea,I don't understand the 6 outputs only either.

westerlu77

I think I have decide to buy a Apogee Duet to my iMac. That will for sure be the best choice for me.

Alex

Quote from: westerlu77 on February 04, 2010, 01:54:02 PM
I think I have decide to buy a Apogee Duet to my iMac. That will for sure be the best choice for me.

The Duet doesn't support Midi does it? Was just reading this http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=561859&Main=559811

I use a Presonus Firebox on my Mac and it is perfect.

cbschriks

I think this is what you want.

1. Connect the 2Box module with a MIDI cable to your Mac with Logic;

2. Connect the 2Box module with audio cables to an audio interface that is connected to the Mac (I have a ProFire 610);

3. Create an External MIDI track in Logic and set the appropriate channel (in my case channel 10);

4.  Record your MIDI (all notes go on one channel)

5. To split the different notes in different channels select the region to split;

6. Go to the region menu in the arrange window;

7. Select 'Split/Demix' and 'Demix by note pitch' (every midi note (kick, snare, hi-hat etc) is on a different channel;

8. To bounce create an audio track for each MIDI channel and record (bounce)

Hope this helps. I have a setup that works, If you need further information on a specific point, let me know.