New kits built from SD2 The Progressive Foundry in the 2Box Module

Started by Jman, December 09, 2015, 05:05:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jman

I already posted this on Facebook, but thought I would post here as well.
I finally got a few minutes between the Christmas orders and tech support to put together a quick video. This demo video is of kits I built and loaded into the 2Box modules. Made from the new SDX expansion: The Progressive Foundry. All built using SDSE and played on my Stealth Drums and Cymbals. I used the default SD2 settings on these 5 kits. I have already built several other kits using 3 more presets, but will get something up for those later .... Keep it Stealth! J https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xKD3noHCfM
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Coda

Thanks for that Jerry. It's really not easy to tell much about the sounds on a youtube video though, but I would like to get your 'opinion' on the prog SDX, whether it's worth the money (Im aware theres a lot of content there), and what about the quality compared to some of the other packs (like Avatar (default), C&V, Music City etc). Plus, really, how does it make you feel when playing it?

Jman

Quote from: Coda on December 11, 2015, 07:34:56 AM
Thanks for that Jerry. It's really not easy to tell much about the sounds on a youtube video though, but I would like to get your 'opinion' on the prog SDX, whether it's worth the money (Im aware theres a lot of content there), and what about the quality compared to some of the other packs (like Avatar (default), C&V, Music City etc). Plus, really, how does it make you feel when playing it?
The Progressive Foundry is a very good library. They have all the raw drums/cymbals and of course tons of things you can do in the mixer. Having the raw drums is something I have always enjoyed about BFD2/3 because that gives you the options to build it like you want. It is worth it to me. But generally I don't buy any of these SDX expansions till they have been out for a while and you can pick them up at 50% off like is the case with other SDX expansions right now. I ordered SDX Metal Machinery the other day. I wasn't going to purchase that one since I already own EZX Metal Machine based on the same drums/recording session. EZX Metal Machinery is a good EZX and you can shut off the reverb and room effects to get a good sounding kit, but I much prefer SDX with the extended amount of samples and options. Metal Machinery also has the raw drums.

I still prefer the NirZ snare from Avatar over every other snare I have in any of the VSTs. There are some really nice snares in the included SD2 Avatar pack. J

Coda

Yeah, thanks for that J. Today I decided to go for SD2 rather than BFD3, even though I was offered a great deal last week by one of the FXpansion owners. I like how the prog sdx sounds, and the amount of content it has, and I know the Avatar kit is quality too, so I think I'm doing the right thing.

Edit: Scratch that. The FXpansion guy got back to me and I'm getting the BFD2 content for free when I register BFD3 so I decided to do that. I really like some of the snares in BFD2, so it was a no brainer :D

Anvil123

Hi 2boxers,

First off JMan, thank you for all of the info and products etc!!!

Just thought to chime in on VST snares... great call on BFD3 in my opinion.  Have been recording a new album and the triple snare combo is nothing short of amazing... two triggered snares from BFD2: Vintage Ludwig and piccolo snares, plus VFL vintage, 2 box (love the dynamics and realism.. a little bit of compression and voila).  My producer friend absoulutely loves the combo :)

No, I have not tried every VST out there, but OMG... good call on the BFD purchase!

Will be getting a second module soon for live on hybrid kit... am wondering if 2box is planning a new module release?  Any buzz on the new module... Namm?  Or are they sticking with this module?

Word :)

Jame 

Jman

Thanks for the kind words and the info on your BFD3 experience. As far as a new 2Box module since the Drumit 3 was announced at Musikmesse there has been virtually no new info. I saw one response from another forum saying it might release summer this year, but no direct info from 2Box. Since NAMM is in less than 2 weeks now I'll be sure to find out anything I can when I'm there. J