News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Hihat Splashes

Started by dboomer, November 17, 2015, 08:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dboomer

Is there a parameter inside the module that can be adjusted to increase the volume of the foot splash only sound  ... or do I have to modify the dsnd itself. I understand that triggering the splash sound is a function of how fast you release the pedal.  Any way to adjust that value?

(I'm using the Jman converter with v1.30 firmware)

Coda

Under unit settings. Page down, it's on the HPED page. The setting is SENS.

Although - thinking deeper about it, I can't remember if this affects just foot-close or foot-splash volume. It's too late in the evening for me to try it out now without disturbing the neighbours.

dboomer

Headphones, baby! 8)

Unfortunately changing that parameter affects both. I need to separate them.

Coda

I use in-ears, baby :D The noise I referred to was me stamping on the hi-hat pedal while adjusting the parameter (with dampened metal cymbals). It goes right through the walls (but not the floor cos I built a tennis-ball riser).

That's a shame then. I had a feeling that the force on the piezo determined it :( Looks like some dsnd edits then. Maybe you can just edit the velocities.txt file for the foot splash layer without touching the samples?

dboomer

That may do it.  Thanks!

How do I get to the velocities.txt files?

Coda

You have to split the dsnd (with dsoundtool). Then you will have a folder for each zone full of wav files with one velocities.txt in each. Once you've edited the velocities.txt for the foot splash you will have to rebuild the hat (again with dsoundtool). It's easy, just select how many intermediate openings there are and select the velocities.txt in each folder for each zone, make sure you have selected "many wave files" and build it.

dboomer

Well that will be challenging as I'm a Mac kinda guy. Maybe someday there will be an OSX release 😉

Coda

I'm also a mac guy. Dsoundtool is a java app, which runs perfectly fine on a mac.

dboomer

Why so it does!  I'm a little blind from trying to read this entire forum in the couple of days since my unit arrived.
;D ;D ;D

You are a handy one to have around!

Jman

Actually you can open a dsnd in DSountTool and adjust any of the individual articulations independently without splitting it. On lots of the HH dsnds I've built from VSTs and some of the stock HH dsnds I have changed volumes of foot splashes, edge sounds, etc. You just adjust the volume slider in DSoundTool then Save the dsnd. And if your foot splash is too low in relation to everything else, just leave the foot splash at max volume in the dsnd, lower other sliders then go back in the module and raise the overall volume of the Hi Hat in the kit if necessary.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

dboomer

Yeah, I hit on that solution as the easiest way once I saw how things looked in the dsoundtool.

Turned out the foot splashes were already at max so I. Just backed down everything else proportionally and then raised the volume on playback.

Coda

Actually it seems that I am the blind one :-) I never saw that slider  :o