News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

DSoundTool 0.37

Started by Louis, January 27, 2010, 10:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louis

Now version 0.37 of DSoundTool is released.

The main news is that you can now listen to the sounds in .dsnd files and adjust the volumes of individual zones of sound files,
also of those that are already present in the Drumit Five.

Check it out at http://www.shortestpath.se/dsoundtool

/Louis

puttenvr

Keep up the good work. And make it free, or that we can make a donation if wished.

UC

I think the fact Louis has made it donation based to start with is fantastic, and it's starting to look really good - I think he'd be entirely justified if he wanted to start charging for it (as long as it obviously doesn't step on 2box's copyright etc).

Man cannot live on internet-based messages of thanks alone after all :-)

By the way Louis, would something like this work with your tool to create a standalone .exe?
http://home.arcor.de/blackwell/javahappiness.html

I don't want to install Java on my DAW with its constant nagging and updates and background processes that you can never quite get rid of :)

alainV

Quote from: UC on January 28, 2010, 09:53:50 AM
By the way Louis, would something like this work with your tool to create a standalone .exe?
http://home.arcor.de/blackwell/javahappiness.html

Oh please not .exe... I'm working on MacOS!
But I really don't understand how to use it on a mac. Java is installed, but I can't do nothing....

UC

Salut Alain

Have you unzipped the zip file? You should get 2 folders and a .jar and a .bat (you can ignore the .bat, that's for windows).

What happens when you double-click the .jar file?

alainV

UC

Aha...Google is your friend :)

http://macosx.com/tech-support/how-to-execute-a-jar-file-in-os-x/9549.html

You can indeed launch a jar file from the command line, with the following command:

java -jar yourfile.jar

As well as this you can assign "Jar Launcher" as the default app. to use when you double-click a jar file, as follows (I don't believe you need the developer tools installed for this):

Click once on the .jar file in the Finder and then from the menubar in the Finder select File -> Get Info". Click on "Open with" and from the popup menu select "Other". A file browser window will open. In this window, go to the /System/Library/CoreServices folder and select 'Jar Launcher'. Then make sure the "Always Open With" checkbox is checked and then click Add. Then click the "Change all" button so that any jar file will be opened automatically. Finally, close the Info window and now when you double-click any of your jar files they should run automatically.

Hope that works...

alainV

no... impossible

It tries to open Jar Launcher but nothing.

The console says (if somebody understands):

28.01.10 17:46:53 [0x0-0x5e05e].com.apple.JarLauncher[1678] SystemFlippers: didn't consume all data for long ID 0 (pBase = 0x10194a630, p = 0x10194a634, pEnd = 0x10194a638)
28.01.10 17:46:53 [0x0-0x5e05e].com.apple.JarLauncher[1678] SystemFlippers: didn't consume all data for long ID 0 (pBase = 0x101929380, p = 0x101929384, pEnd = 0x101929388)
28.01.10 17:46:53 [0x0-0x5e05e].com.apple.JarLauncher[1678] SystemFlippers: didn't consume all data for long ID 0 (pBase = 0x101929380, p = 0x101929384, pEnd = 0x101929388)
28.01.10 17:46:56 [0x0-0x5e05e].com.apple.JarLauncher[1678] Exception in thread "main"  
28.01.10 17:46:56 [0x0-0x5e05e].com.apple.JarLauncher[1678] java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad version number in .class file
28.01.10 17:46:56 [0x0-0x5e05e].com.apple.JarLauncher[1678]  at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
28.01.10 17:46:56 [0x0-0x5e05e].com.apple.JarLauncher[1678]  at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:676)
28.01.10 17:46:56 [0x0-0x5e05e].com.apple.JarLauncher[1678]  at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:124)
28.01.10 17:46:56 [0x0-0x5e05e].com.apple.JarLauncher[1678]  at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:260)
28.01.10 17:46:56 [0x0-0x5e05e].com.apple.JarLauncher[1678]  at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:56)
28.01.10 17:46:56 [0x0-0x5e05e].com.apple.JarLauncher[1678]  at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:195)
28.01.10 17:46:56 [0x0-0x5e05e].com.apple.JarLauncher[1678]  at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
28.01.10 17:46:56 [0x0-0x5e05e].com.apple.JarLauncher[1678]  at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)
28.01.10 17:46:56 [0x0-0x5e05e].com.apple.JarLauncher[1678]  at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:317)

Louis

Hi Alain,

It means that the version of your jre is probably too old. You need jre 1.6.

I checked on www.java.com, http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp, where they told that Apple has its own Java version.
they referred to http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1338?viewlocale=en_US to get an updated version.

Please let me know if this helps or not; if not, then I probably need to step down on Java version in my development. I am sorry for this, I don't have a Mac and I assumed that by now jre 1.6 was standard on all operating systems.

Has anyone succeeded running DSoundTool on MAC?

Remi

or any experience in windows?

Louis

Quote from: puttenvr on January 28, 2010, 06:22:49 AM
Keep up the good work. And make it free, or that we can make a donation if wished.
Hi puttenvr,

First, thanks for your encouragement.

Regarding the "free", I must confess that my first reaction was that I felt pissed off. You are in no position whatsoever that you can tell me to give away something that is mine. I will not make it free.

However, since you seem to be a nice guy, I trust that you meant nothing but good and you are forgiven. So perhaps I can give a little background why things are as they are.

First of all, there was a lot of fuss on this forum about the lacking sound editor. And being able to download sounds was also for me one of the key attraction factors. So when I found out that it was not that hard to do, I wrote a program that could do that. At that point I decided to productify the program, for several reasons:

- obviously it fulfilled a need, at least for some transient period of time
- to get some first experience with developing shareware. I have never developed shareware before, and DSoundTool is the perfect way for me to learn: people should not be to cricital since they have no alternative anyway but wait for 2box, but anyway be able to give useful feedback. This works out great, I have already learnt a lot (like the installation problems, etc).
(- and frankly, because I am one of those nerds who think it is fun to program, otherwise I would never have done this)

I want the shareware experience, since I have some other ideas (and have started development) for another tool, with similar type of audience but a little bit broader market. I am a free lance software developer. Currently I have an assignment and do well, but the times are tough. Perhaps I have no job in half a years time, and for me no job means no (= zero) money.

Of course I understand that few people would be interested to pay me something now, knowing that 2box will come with a free tool sooner or later. And frankly I do not need the money either at this moment. Still I bring at least a few of you a realistic value, viz. a better playing experience with your drumming system. So I thought it would be easier to accept to pay something if you actually know that the money you spend on the tool will be used for a good purpose. My naive assumption was that if people can afford a Drumit Five, then most of them can affort to spend 30 dollars on charity.

I will use this charity payment scheme at least until 2box releases its tool, and probably longer than that. Then we'll see. In the end I also would like to get experience with actually getting paid with all the machinery around it (setting up the payment services etc). But it will depend on a lot of things. Of course I understand the market is and will be tiny.

Sorry for this very long and probably boring explanation. Let's talk about something more fun: what features would you like to see in DSoundTool?

Baby Samus

Hi Louis,

I understand the amount of work that goes into software development (I'm not a programmer but I used to work in I.T.), and its never usually a quick or easy process so I'm sure everyone here understands why you would like a donation - because you have put personal time and effort into something that may be of use to other people, and as such you should be rewarded for sharing that work with them.

As we say in Scotland, Fair do's mate.  Fair do's.

HM

Quote from: Louis on January 28, 2010, 09:41:11 PM
Regarding the "free", I must confess that my first reaction was that I felt pissed off. You are in no position whatsoever that you can tell me to give away something that is mine. I will not make it free.
When I think of an open system (that's what 2box says it is), open source software would be my first thought. Those are free and people make them mainly for the Linux community to use. I appreciate your work and understand your views. I just want to say that for me it feels not strange at all that someone does coding for the community and gives it away free, as someone suggested. I would like your software being free, too. But since you have done all the work, you can also tell the price, of course.

puttenvr

Couldn't it say better.

Another point is: 2Box is releasing an editor (somewhere, somehow) and at this moment I can't predict which editor is better. If the DSoundTool was the only software around, I would certainly pay for it.

PS: the dutch just bought Saab. We did it for the Swedish community. So ...
(bad joke)  :P

Remi

If you ask money for the software you have also the responsibility when something goes wrong
after installation or use of the software.
(think of crashes with loss of data)
without insurance this may lead to very high fees when it comes to liable.