News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Recording help???

Started by Underoath77, October 02, 2015, 04:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Underoath77

I was wanting to record individual tracks so I can edit later in reaper. However h have split my Tom's allowing for the maximum 15 inputs and have now idea how to get all those tracks seperated.

Do I need 2 8 _track audio interfaces ?or is midi the way?

Any help or instructions would be awesome

Coda

You can't do what you are implying.
There are 8 outs on the 2box. The manual describes which instruments go to which channels, but I can tell you, that you will not separate tom heads from rims onto different channels. That would be 'over engineering' anyway, or solving a problem that doesn't necessarily exist.
If you really really must record tom rims separately from the tom heads, then you should record the midi performance instead and assign the channels with the VST's mixer, and record using multiple bounces.

Underoath77

So their is no way to edit each channel like...all 15? Can I seperate cymbals, and Tom's and kick and snare? And the tom rims are being used as cymbals. So you see my problem
Quote from: Coda on October 05, 2015, 10:08:26 AM
You can't do what you are implying.
There are 8 outs on the 2box. The manual describes which instruments go to which channels, but I can tell you, that you will not separate tom heads from rims onto different channels. That would be 'over engineering' anyway, or solving a problem that doesn't necessarily exist.
If you really really must record tom rims separately from the tom heads, then you should record the midi performance instead and assign the channels with the VST's mixer, and record using multiple bounces.

Coda

I apologise - I just re-read your original post and I realised that I misunderstood something. What you ask is a good question.
I.E - If a tom rim is assigned to a cymbal sound, should the sound be on the same mixer channel with the toms, or on the mixer channel with the cymbals? <- this is the question that I am asking.
With the module set to output all sounds on channels 1-6 (plus optionally 7-8 too if you change the headphone setting) I believe that cymbal sounds on the rims should be directed to the channel where the cymbals are heard.
Either I have to test this, or one of the other (more knowledgable) forum members needs to chime in.

Underoath77

No prob . I mean I'm not gunna be greedy, if I can get the cymbals,kick, snare and Tom's seperate in the DAW I'd be happy. I don't need each individual cymbal. But if that's possible sweet.  Any further knowledge would be solid
Quote from: Coda on October 05, 2015, 07:42:35 PM
I apologise - I just re-read your original post and I realised that I misunderstood something. What you ask is a good question.
I.E - If a tom rim is assigned to a cymbal sound, should the sound be on the same mixer channel with the toms, or on the mixer channel with the cymbals? <- this is the question that I am asking.
With the module set to output all sounds on channels 1-6 (plus optionally 7-8 too if you change the headphone setting) I believe that cymbal sounds on the rims should be directed to the channel where the cymbals are heard.
Either I have to test this, or one of the other (more knowledgable) forum members needs to chime in.

mcrackins

Quote from: Underoath77 on October 05, 2015, 08:02:08 PM
No prob . I mean I'm not gunna be greedy, if I can get the cymbals,kick, snare and Tom's seperate in the DAW I'd be happy. I don't need each individual cymbal. But if that's possible sweet.  Any further knowledge would be solid

With a standard setup, you can separate all pads/cymbals to different output channels. I did this for my setup and recorded my new album that way. You can check out how it sounds here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h00EmV9GZA

I bought a Focurite 18i8 audio interface which has 8 inputs on it. Perfect for the 2box. All outputs from 2box module go to the Focusrite unit. Then the USB connects from that unit to my PC. The DAW I use is StudioOne 2 Producer Edition. I plug my phones into the the 18i8 instead of the module as that gets used for other instruments. You also don't need the computer on to rehearse as the Focurite has built in pre-amps and separate headphone volume controls.

I made the second tom my ride cymbal. Here are my notes I took along with some posters notes on how to achieve this. Hope this helps you out.

2box -> Focusrite Bus/Input Mapping

2box BUS3 - Red Cable -> Input 1 = KICK
2box BUS4 - Black Cable -> Input 2 = SNARE
2box BUS5 - Grey Cable -> Input 3 = HI-HAT
2box BUS6 - Yellow Cable -> Input 4 = TOM1
2box BUS1 - Green Cable -> Input 5 = TOM3
2box BUS2 - Blue Cable -> Input 6 = RIDE CYMBAL
2box BUS7 - White Cable -> Input 7 = LEFT CYMBALS
2box BUS8 - Brown Cable -> Input 8  =  RIGHT CYMBAL

NOTE: Some of the inputs or outputs can be reconfigured to match other types of
connection (see the UNIT-TRIG and UNIT-OUT pages).
The snare and tom inputs can be split to connect 2 pads to each
input for a total of 15 independent triggers. The line in can be set to
accept mono or stereo signals. Output 1 and 2 can provide the mix,
submix or 1+2 bus. The phones can provide the mix, submix, 1+2,
3+4, 5+6, or 7+8 bus.

To allow 8 separate outputs to be connected to an external mixer or
recorder, the headphones output can be used as 2 additional line
outputs. First assign each drum channel to a specific bus on the
UNIT-INTF page. Then go to the UNIT-OUT page and set the OUT1.2
parameter to 1+2! and the the PHONS parameter to 7+8!. In this
case, the mixer settings on the UNIT-MIX page are not relevant
anymore, since the mix is disconnected from the output.

Unit-Output
LINE can be Mono or Stereo. When mono, only the tip signal on the
line input is used for both left and right. When stereo, the tip signal
is left and the ring signal is right.
VOL shows the volume of the LEVEL knob.
SUB selects a combination of the mix channels for the submix bus.
Turn to select a source and click to switch it in or out of the submix.
There are 5 different sources.
- Drums: kick, snare, hihat, toms, cymbals and percussion.
- Fx: effect.
- Line: line input.
- Wave: accompaniment wave file.
- Metr: accompaniment metronome.
This allows for example to make a mix for recording or PA with just
the drums and effect while still having all channels to the phones.
The channel volumes of the submix are the same as those for the
mix and are set on the UNIT-MIX page.
OUT1.2 selects which audio bus is routed to output 1 and 2. Either
the Mix, Mix!, Sub, Sub! or 1+2! bus. Mix and Sub are controlled by
the LEVEL knob, the other ones are at a fixed level.
PHONS selects which audio bus is routed to the headphones output.
This can be the Mix, Sub, 1+2, 3+4, 5+6, 7+8 or 7+8! bus. The
level is controlled by the LEVEL knob, except for the 7+8! bus
selection which has a fixed level equal to the other line outputs.
Bus selections with an exclamation mark have a fixed output level,
so be careful with the volume setting of the connected device.