News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Rotary knobs on drumit5 module.

Started by welshsteve, October 05, 2015, 12:39:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

welshsteve

Just curious, does anyone else have issues with the rotary dials? Turnin clockwise up voices only to see it skip back 5 not forward. And vise versa? It's random, sometimes I skips several increments, others just the one or two. Other times, it doesn't move at all. I was wondering if it's a dust on the contact issue or something. I've only ever used my module so I've nothing to compare it to.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

Coda

I see that sometimes if I turn it real fast. I have a reasonable new module though (<3 months) so it won't be dust, probably the speed of the encoders vs the reading speed of the CPU.

Jman

Yeah, I get that on one of my modules. Especially if just going up one kit it might skip forward or back. But turning the dial slow usually isn't a problem. I've had mine for years, but I think it is something that was always like that.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Benton

My module also does that, but I  think it startet after I did the SD extension mod. Could that be the issue. ?

Coda

Quote from: nocturnodrummer on October 06, 2015, 09:13:27 PM
maybe try cleaning the pots?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QvOepREO4k
NO!
They are not potentiometers, they are rotary encoders with push buttons, and they do not have carbon tracks that can be cleaned. They operate on a completely different principle.

nocturnodrummer

oh, pardon. I thought that these are pots.. my bad. but since it's an encoder, it has to have some kind of scale and a diode. maybe the scale is dirty? I know that linear encoders work that way.. are they completely sealed and free from dust and dirt?

Coda

Some are sealed yes. Squirting them with kontakt60 or similar cleaner wont do anything to these, and the ones which are not sealed, well I wouldn't want to spray a corrosive cleaner inside one - some are made like the old mouse wheel encoders used to be, before we got optical mice (a plastic wheel with vanes), and others are made with a plastic sheet which is printed with stripes. In either case there are diode pairs inside (emitter/detector), and a mechanical switch in the case of the ones in the 2box module.
Saying that - I'd be surprised if it's a dust issue though. Maybe a solder joint has come loose... this could cause erratic signals.