News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Alt zone fsr for kick drum?

Started by Devious123, September 12, 2015, 03:00:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devious123

I currently have 1 ten inch inbox pad mounted to a 1" oak plywood board, that is connected to the inside of a old tama bass drum, via 4 L brackets. This set up has been working for a while now, but it is a tad loud still. I just came a crossed these alt zone FSR sticky patches, that the guy placed behind a normal bass drum head.

I was thinking, well wondering if sticking this AltZone FRS patch on a mesh pad so Josh (drummer) could get more bounce.

I'm currently needing to decide to get a double or 2 single peddles, but i realized that all my stereo inputs (all six) are being used up FSR inboxes I have 2 of the rim zones available for use. I was considering using 2 of the Alt zone FSR sticky pad triggers, for two bass drums single kicks, but i would need another inbox, bringing the total to 7. I was wondering if it would be possible to use one of the 3 spots that are currently being used for 2 multi zone crashes, and one multi zone ride, for a inbox. Can inboxes be plugged into to rim inputs for toms, snares, Kick drums, in order to gain more fsr based triggers?

Coda

As far as I know, you can use the cymbal inputs for other types of pads, but you cannot split them. You CAN split the rim inputs off the snare and toms while keeping the original functions on the heads.
I don't know anything about the aquarian stuff though, so can't advise on that specifically.

FYI: That youtube link is broken. It is http not ftp.

Jimimidi

As afr as AltZone on a mesh head, I tried it and had limited luck. Also, as a Kick pad, mine broke and Alternate Mode may be working on a more durable design. I am pretty sure that the InBox gives power to the FSR pad, but the Rim input on the InBox is NOT powered, and only good for a Piezo or Piezo Pad input (that's why the volume control on the InBox affects only the FSR pad, not the added input trigger.
So, if you want to use 2 FSR pads, you'd need 2 inboxes and a splitter on the 2Box input. Make sense?
If you have already purchased more than one FSR pad, you might want to get an Alternate Mode DITI and Midi it to the 2Box.
A bit complicated at first, but it is THE FSR box on the market right now.

Devious123

https://youtu.be/mEgLQVIebwk?list=UUs9wciyeYlyRTn61KCvF_qA

There must be some sort of blocking of url's if not done the right way. I got this one by right clicking on youtubes video area, and clicked get url code. Hopefully it will work better.

Coda

That doesn't make sense to me. One can either right-click the video and select copy URL, copy the URL from the browser address bar, or on the youtube page click 'share' and copy the URL that appears in the box. All three of these methods gave a proper URL, I just tried it.

Devious123

Weird yeah I don't know must of been some goofiness going on. The copy, and paste method from the address bar seems to be working now, at least on my end.

Devious123

Quote from: Jimimidi on September 15, 2015, 05:01:52 PM
As afr as AltZone on a mesh head, I tried it and had limited luck. Also, as a Kick pad, mine broke and Alternate Mode may be working on a more durable design. I am pretty sure that the InBox gives power to the FSR pad, but the Rim input on the InBox is NOT powered, and only good for a Piezo or Piezo Pad input (that's why the volume control on the InBox affects only the FSR pad, not the added input trigger.
So, if you want to use 2 FSR pads, you'd need 2 inboxes and a splitter on the 2Box input. Make sense?
If you have already purchased more than one FSR pad, you might want to get an Alternate Mode DITI and Midi it to the 2Box.
A bit complicated at first, but it is THE FSR box on the market right now.

What is "AFR" stand for? Could you expand on what you mean by limited luck? In what ways was it not working for you, (bad triggering)?

My current set although louder then I would like seems to be working thus far, so i would rather not waste money if not needed.

A more recent problem i had, and was worried about is the cheaper budget hosa Y splitter cable that I'm currently using has a short in the connector that attaches to the inbox for my biggest tom that is being unresponsive, so I'm currently debating on whether or not i should get a better more durable y splitter cable, or make a single cable to attached to the inbox Y input jack, but i don't know the proper cable,  or wiring to use when running it to a single cymbal jack. Would the cable be mono for the cymbal then Mono for the inbox rim input? I noticed that the Rimshot has a balanced jack from the pictures online.