News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

switching to orange - couple of questions

Started by fankelomia, July 12, 2015, 01:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fankelomia

Hi,

i am about to switch to 2box and already read through some parts of this forum which helped me to confirm it will be the right choice.
A couple of questions i was not able to get answered by searching - could have been just my bad luck in using the search function or the ambiguity of the search terms i used…

I will only be using drums (and percussion) with the 2box module(s), cymbals are all Gen16s. (Pads are all converted acoustic drums).
I am keen on keeping the set as much as possible like it was as an acoustic set, meaning i have some specific requirements i would like to meet with the 2box solution.
(for example: 5 Toms with rim-shot sounds on at least 3 of them and full set of octobans).

Here are some questions i hope will be easy to answer by all you pros, if they have been answered already i apologize and would be happy about a link to the corresponding post/thread.

- How well do mono drum trigger work with the cymbal inputs and the hihat-input?
Searching for 'mono' gave mostly results for using the modules ouputs or splitting the snare/tom-inputs.

Using SDSE it seems to be very easy to get sounds from BFD/SD/AD and the like on to the module. So far i have not used either one of those softwares.

- How ‚fast‘ can i get to playing vst-sounds with the 2box-module? Just use SDSE and i am good to go or (i am guessing, depending on personal preference) how much tweaking has to be done? Does that happen in the vst-software or inside the module?
- How well do vst-sounds from different softwares or vst-sounds and 2box-sounds go together?
- Could i just buy SDSE and for example EZDrummer (i know it has enough toms…), choose some drums, put them on the module and use them alongside for example a cowbell from the 2box-sounds or (also for example) a snare from an AddictiveDrums Kitpiece?

Since the main reason for going electronic was to be able to keep the set in the apartment i do not need every possible sound on the module(s) (and especially not every sound that roland puts on there…).

- If i were to use just one set of sounds i like (just like with an acoustic set) - would the 4GB SD card be big enough?
- Can someone provide a rough estimate how many (good quality or with enough layers or what would be the term?) instruments can be put on the original SD card?

Either way i can’t wait to make the switch and hope my questions are understandable enough to get answered like so many questions that i had were already answered in this forum.

Best regards,
Johannes.

Lustar

Hi,

Quote from: fankelomia on July 12, 2015, 01:17:27 PM
- How ‚fast‘ can i get to playing vst-sounds with the 2box-module? Just use SDSE and i am good to go or (i am guessing, depending on personal preference) how much tweaking has to be done? Does that happen in the vst-software or inside the module?
Exporting can take some time depending on the VST/preset so I wouldn't do it in a hurry. With SDSE you can copy the sounds directly from the SDSE Sounds folder to the module. They are sorted in folders and it also create a .dkit file (kit configuration) that you can use as a starting point, with all the pieces already loaded as a kit. You'll just have to adjust the volumes on the module. Some sounds/kits will sound good right away, for some others you'll have to adjust the sound in the VST (for instance, make several versions of the snare using Export Mode set to Single in Options/General to quickly check how it sounds on the module). You can also adjust the EQ on the module.

- How well do vst-sounds from different softwares or vst-sounds and 2box-sounds go together?
- Could i just buy SDSE and for example EZDrummer (i know it has enough toms…), choose some drums, put them on the module and use them alongside for example a cowbell from the 2box-sounds or (also for example) a snare from an AddictiveDrums Kitpiece?
The sounds can be quite different from a VST to another so it really depends on the sounds and of your requirements. If it sounds good to you there's no limit.

- If i were to use just one set of sounds i like (just like with an acoustic set) - would the 4GB SD card be big enough?
- Can someone provide a rough estimate how many (good quality or with enough layers or what would be the term?) instruments can be put on the original SD card?
The 4GB card will be enough but depending on the size of the kit you may need to remove some (or many) of the 2box sounds. You can use DKit Manager to find how much space you can save by removing some kits and delete the sounds that are unique to them. If you're not going to export hats and cymbals you'll save a lot of space, it will fit easily. Even if it fits I would recommend the 32GB mod, it's very convenient. If you're looking for more layers beware that EZdrummer is not the VST with the most samples.

kit from a VST with more samples: 0.9GB
kit from a VST with more samples, without cymbals and hats: 0.4GB
kit from a VST with less samples: 0.4GB

Here are the FAQs I prepared about getting started with the DrumIt Five: DrumIt Five FAQSDSE FAQ
Don't hesitate to send a mail or PM if you have more questions!

Jman

I will only be using drums (and percussion) with the 2box module(s), cymbals are all Gen16s. (Pads are all converted acoustic drums).
I am keen on keeping the set as much as possible like it was as an acoustic set, meaning i have some specific requirements i would like to meet with the 2box solution.
(for example: 5 Toms with rim-shot sounds on at least 3 of them and full set of octobans).

- How well do mono drum trigger work with the cymbal inputs and the hihat-input?
Searching for 'mono' gave mostly results for using the modules ouputs or splitting the snare/tom-inputs.

Either way i can’t wait to make the switch and hope my questions are understandable enough to get answered like so many questions that i had were already answered in this forum.

Best regards,
Johannes.

If by a full set of Octobans you mean 4 then you will have enough inputs. With rimshots on 3 toms and splitting the 4th tom for tom 4 and 5 your tom inputs are filled. Then you have 3 cymbal inputs and the Hi Hat input for 4 single zone octobans. And yes the cymbal inputs and HH input work just fine for single zone triggers/pads. Just set the input to the pad type closest to the type of trigger you are using and adjust the parameters to your preference, and you're good to go.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Jman

As a side note: Not a lot of Octoban sounds available out there right now. Fxpansion (BFD) has the Deccatoms expansion: http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=79  Toontrack has Reggae EZX expansion with 2 Octabons but with a little tuning and tweaking those 2 can be turned into 4: http://www.toontrack.com/product/reggae-ezx/

fankelomia

Thank you both for your quick and elaborate answers.

Lustar, those infos regarding SD card size were awesome, of course i went straight to read through your faqs (again). I also just saw your pm and will be replying shortly.

Jman, thank you for clarifying the single zone trigger input thing for me (have to remember single zone trigger as a much better term than mono...).
I'm guessing single zone trigger (with stereo jacks nonetheless) would still use stereo-cables for the Cymbal and Hihat inputs?

I was planning on using the full set of my eight selfmade "Sonor Forcetobans" - if only i hadn't stumbled upon the BFD Deccatoms, now i'm thinking about adding two... either way it will have to be 2 modules for me  :D
I actually created a spreadsheet trying to find my way through the software and expansion jungle, just checked it and if i'm correct the NI Abbey Road 80s Drummer contains 8 Octobans.
Still, you are completely right, it's not much of a selection...
For the deccatoms there is a youtube video demonstrating the sounds, for the 80s Drummer i remember having found a soundfile for just the octobans, if anyone is interested i will search my browser history for the link.

Getting more and more excited about the 2box...

Jman

Quote from: fankelomia on July 12, 2015, 04:08:49 PM

Jman, thank you for clarifying the single zone trigger input thing for me (have to remember single zone trigger as a much better term than mono...).
I'm guessing single zone trigger (with stereo jacks nonetheless) would still use stereo-cables for the Cymbal and Hihat inputs?

I was planning on using the full set of my eight selfmade "Sonor Forcetobans" - if only i hadn't stumbled upon the BFD Deccatoms, now i'm thinking about adding two... either way it will have to be 2 modules for me  :D
I actually created a spreadsheet trying to find my way through the software and expansion jungle, just checked it and if i'm correct the NI Abbey Road 80s Drummer contains 8 Octobans.
Still, you are completely right, it's not much of a selection...
For the deccatoms there is a youtube video demonstrating the sounds, for the 80s Drummer i remember having found a soundfile for just the octobans, if anyone is interested i will search my browser history for the link.

Getting more and more excited about the 2box...
Yeah, I have 4 blue acrylic "Lectrobans" on my present Stealth Acrylic Blues kit I built years ago :)
I don't own any AbbeyRoad VSTs but I just checked out 80's drummer, not a lot of sound demos on the octobans, but the sounds I heard I liked. If I'm not mistaken the octobans seemed to have more attack than the Deccatoms sample recordings (the Deccatoms seem to sound more dampened) ..... I like more attack.
I'm in the process of putting the acrylic kit back in the bags and swapping in my latest Stealth kit, at that point I'll take the acrylic Lectrobans down and swap them out with my "Lectric" Roto-Toms  ;D I've already got several Roto Tom soundsets built .... including one Bozzio expansion.

fankelomia

Lectric Roto Toms sounds very nice indeed.
Here's the link i found for the 80s Drummer Octobans: plop

Jman

Quote from: fankelomia on July 13, 2015, 04:42:50 PM
Lectric Roto Toms sounds very nice indeed.
Here's the link i found for the 80s Drummer Octobans: plop
I really like the sound of those. Hopefully they have enough hits per articulation to make some decent dsnds.

fankelomia

I too like the sounds - but as far as i could tell they are no bargain.
80s Drummer itself is not the problem (although not cheap either) but to modify the sounds it seems that Kontakt (and not just Kontakt Player) is needed which is quite expensive...

Jman

Quote from: fankelomia on July 13, 2015, 06:37:45 PM
I too like the sounds - but as far as i could tell they are no bargain.
80s Drummer itself is not the problem (although not cheap either) but to modify the sounds it seems that Kontakt (and not just Kontakt Player) is needed which is quite expensive...
You might want to ask Lustar (SDSE) about that. I know I've made a ton of Drumasonic dsnds which uses Kontakt. And the Kontakt Player was all that was needed.

fankelomia

just found the page where i got that link from (was still open on my phone...)
kvraudio
on page one is the link but on page two the author of that sound-sample says that the octobans only have single hit articulation.
I definitely don't have the lingo down just yet but i am guessing that's not that good...?

Jman

Quote from: fankelomia on July 13, 2015, 07:22:02 PM
just found the page where i got that link from (was still open on my phone...)
kvraudio
on page one is the link but on page two the author of that sound-sample says that the octobans only have single hit articulation.
I definitely don't have the lingo down just yet but i am guessing that's not that good...?
Yeah, if they are really single sample drums that is not ideal. The more unique hit samples the better generally. 16 or more hits per drum would be OK IMO. The Deccatoms have around 40 to 50 unique hits per drum.