News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Tips for a brand new DrumIt 5 experience

Started by Progdrummer, May 06, 2015, 07:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Progdrummer

Hello everyone!

Being a happy owner of this amazing drumkit, I'd like to ask you some advices to get the best experience from every single studio session I'll take since now.

Here are my essential questions:

1) After a couple of hours of rudiments/exercises/fills I like to spend some time just jamming on drumless tracks. Unfortunately my gear isn't exactly the state of the art: with a Nokia N70 I play the drumless track and with Audacity and an old laptop I record my take using Audacity and the horrible laptop microphone.
How could I improve this experience without spending too much money?
Feel free to suggest.

2) I got no particular problems with my bass drum (and I'm a double pedal owner), but the pad is still wobbling a little too much and this affects my playing especially when trying for speeds above 180 bpm.
How could I get a more stable bass drum pad?

3) I've been purchasing and ripping a huge amount of drumkits (can't thank Lustark enough for his magnificent piece of software) but I'm still struggling to understand which could be the best hihat available.
Besides that sometimes my ride triggers the crash sound which really bothers me.
Any chance to avoid that? What hihat would you suggest to get a proper feeling (I know it's still an E-drum)

Thank you everyone :)

Coda

I'm surprised nobody has replied to you yet.
I can't answer (2) or (3) as I don't have my 2box yet. But for (1) I would say convert your tracks to WAV and put them on the module's SDCARD. If there's no space for them, put in an extension and buy a bigger SDCARD card. That's probably the best quality/$ ratio for playing along to your drumless tracks, unless you can get an ipod or similar for cheap/free (meaning you wont have to spend $ on the extension). For recording yourself to your laptop, why aren't you taking a line out from the 2box into the line-in on the laptop (assuming you have one)? Otherwise, you can buy a USB soundcard for a few dollars, which won't be stellar quality but it will beat the pants off using the laptop's built-in mic.

Murgen

I'm sorry but I don't like the blue outlay in my iPad and only behind my desktop now and than.

I have a solution for the wobbling which works for me since summer 2012. Will tell more later today.
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

Jman

Quote from: Progdrummer on May 06, 2015, 07:00:32 PM

3) I've been purchasing and ripping a huge amount of drumkits (can't thank Lustark enough for his magnificent piece of software) but I'm still struggling to understand which could be the best hihat available.
Besides that sometimes my ride triggers the crash sound which really bothers me.
Any chance to avoid that? What hihat would you suggest to get a proper feeling (I know it's still an E-drum)

Thank you everyone :)

It is hard to answer, more info is needed. Are you getting crosstalk on your ride from one of your other crash cymbals? Or are you triggering the Edge sound of your ride cymbal by accident? If you are accidentally triggering your ride edge sound I would suggest tilting the ride more. The edge of the ride works as a switch, and unless you hit the outer edge it should not trigger the edge sound.

On the Hi Hat, again you should be more specific about what the problem is. Is it a problem where you don't like the sound samples of the Hi Hats you have tried? Is it a problem where you are not satisfied with the performance of Open to Closed, foot splash, etc? More specific please.

I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

InTheBox

This happens to me as well from time to time. If I hit the bell area of my ride not too hard, I'll sometimes get a full crash sound. What's even weirder is that I'm not able to get that sound from the edge no matter how hard I hit it. I'm mostly using the Paiste 22 ride from BFD Eco.

Murgen

I put an extra bar on the front with 2 Gilbraltar clamps and something with rubber to keep the kickpad fixed in place. Works for me.

IMG_2390 by murgenetemplar, on Flickr
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

Jman

Quote from: InTheBox on May 17, 2015, 01:43:00 PM
This happens to me as well from time to time. If I hit the bell area of my ride not too hard, I'll sometimes get a full crash sound. What's even weirder is that I'm not able to get that sound from the edge no matter how hard I hit it. I'm mostly using the Paiste 22 ride from BFD Eco.
Does this happen on original 2Box dsnds also?
If not, I would suggest opening that BFD Eco ride dsnd with DsoundTool. Manually listen to every layer in the dsnd, just in case their is an odd individual sample somewhere that stands out. Most likely the sample you are triggering is one of the Bow samples, being triggered when hitting the bell more moderately. I am not sure it is the same in Eco .... But in BFD2 .... That particular Paiste ride has bow sounds that are very much like Edge Crash sounds on the upper velocities. It is a nice sounding ride but has some layers that tend to stand out in a bad way IMO. I actually still have one dsnd from that Paiste 22 saved on my computer that I labeled NO GOOD ..... because it triggers erratic sound layers.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/