News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Trigger location

Started by StudioG4, April 27, 2015, 04:47:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StudioG4

To those who have made and/or are using acoustic drum conversions, where have you located the piezo? Near the edge as in the 2Box pads or center mounted? I currently have side mounted internal triggers since I was concerned about hitting the sensor in a center mount location but just curious as to your applications.
Thanks for your feedback.
Tony G

digitalDrummer

The consensus appears to be centre-mounted if you require positional sensing. If it's not necessary - like with 2box, then side-mounting removes the risk of hitting the sensor and hot-spotting. the exception is with very large drums - 16" or 18", where sensitivity at the point furthest from the trigger might be too subdued. It's not an issue for bass drums because the beater always strikes the same place.

cribbon

Total newbie here. Related to this topic, I'm thinking about getting a 2box module and using it with triggers (ddrum pro's since I can't seem to find any of the 2box triggers anywhere) placed on my 3 dw piccolo toms and Pearl flat timbale (plus the usual kick and snare). This would put the pickups near the rim of the drums. Would this placement work effectively or am I dreaming?

Jman

Quote from: cribbon on June 19, 2015, 11:18:58 AM
Total newbie here. Related to this topic, I'm thinking about getting a 2box module and using it with triggers (ddrum pro's since I can't seem to find any of the 2box triggers anywhere) placed on my 3 dw piccolo toms and Pearl flat timbale (plus the usual kick and snare). This would put the pickups near the rim of the drums. Would this placement work effectively or am I dreaming?

Check out Digitaldrummer magazine:
Quote from: digitalDrummer on January 28, 2015, 12:04:22 AM
digitalDrummer tests all third-party triggers with 2box.

With the latest 2Box OS 1.30 and the new trigger settings I have no doubt you will be able to dial in a good response with the 2Box module. However, with the new OS and the new 2Box TrigIt triggers there is already a specific trigger type setting for the TrigIt triggers in OS 1.30 that should be plug n play.
It looks like the TrigIt triggers are showing up in Europe, but not in the US yet:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X2Box+triggers.TRS0&_nkw=2Box+triggers&_sacat=0
J
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

cribbon

Thanks for the informative responses. Hope these 2box triggers start becoming available in the US soon.