News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

VST for dummies??

Started by InTheBox, April 18, 2015, 03:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

InTheBox

I'm finally contemplating making some cymbal and hi hat dsdns myself, but after reading up on a few threads I'm somewhat confused. I'm a drummer  :P not a studio tech so some of the terminology baffle me a bit.

I'm not looking for a detailed explanation, but perhaps some of you could be kind enough to point me in the right direction... ;D

My intention is to get the Zildjian Digital Vault package and grab some sounds off that. Will it work directly with DSDE, or do I need to buy and install additional software?

I don't have a vast amount of money to spend on this, so any help is appreciated before I shell out on something I don't really need.

Lustar

The Zildjian Digital Vault is pack of sounds meant for BFD so to play or export the sounds with SDSE you would need one of the BFD programs: BFD Eco (cheaper but limited to 24 samples), BFD2 or BFD3.

InTheBox

Just wanna say a big thanks to Lustar for all his help with this  ;D

Just wondering, I got the Drummica from Senheiser. Is there only the one kit in that VST? Not that I'm complaining, it's a great set of sounds for being free, but I can only find the AAX cymbals and the acrylic drums.

Another thing; when I "rip" sounds from a VST, I'm only able to tune them down in the 2box module, not up. Anything to do about this?

Jman

Quote from: InTheBox on April 20, 2015, 05:40:32 PM
Just wondering, I got the Drummica from Senheiser. Is there only the one kit in that VST? Not that I'm complaining, it's a great set of sounds for being free, but I can only find the AAX cymbals and the acrylic drums.

Another thing; when I "rip" sounds from a VST, I'm only able to tune them down in the 2box module, not up. Anything to do about this?
Yes, it is one kit only.
There is a setting to allow + tuning.
From the SDSE Manual:

Max tune up
Enable to tune up on the module, from 1 to 12 semitones.
It works the same as the setting found in the DrumIt Five Editor: settings higher than 4 can degrade the sound quality.
When disabled it is still possible to tune down the .dsnd on the module
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Lustar

I got the "while you were typing a new reply has been posted.", Jman beat me to it :)

You can also use DSound Tuner (from DrumIt Manager) to increase the Max Tune of existing .dsnd files.

InTheBox

Thanks, both of you.

It's a steep learning curve doing this (dumb drummer  :P) but I'm getting there thanks to your help.

InTheBox

Hi.

Made some new dsdns overnight (do they really take that long to make??). When I looked at my pc this morning there was a dialog box saying something that some files were found short (????). When I popped the files in my unit some samples were just fine, but many of them sounded horrible. One cymbal sounded like hitting an anvil (clunk!) and a few rides sounded like they played at max level all the time.

The only change I did was to enable tuning up. Could this be the cause?

All the samples were from BDF Eco.

Well, gonna try again without the tuning setting and see if they are better.

Lustar

It can take a long time to render presets in the highest setting and depending on the computer (it can take on hour for a complete kit). The raw sounds are usually faster to render. To speed up exporting you can set Export Mode to "Medium" in Options/General. It will export twice as fast but it may not find all samples. For BFD Eco it should be OK to use it.

The message is just a warning, you can safely ignore it unless you notice cut samples in the exported sounds.

On the module, make sure that the rides are not set to something like pos1 or pos2.

The max tune can degrade the sound quality but a setting like 3 or 4 is usually fine.

InTheBox

I noticed that the offending samples were rather small. From 8 MB down to 792 kb, while the rest were 80MB+

It seems every cymbal I loaded to a cymbal channel in Eco was fine. I used the perc channels for the rest, perhaps that didn't work that well. Will try the malfunctioning ones on cymbal channels again.

Regarding module settings, I actually find my cymbal pads a bit hot, they are all set to norm or below.

Rendering speeds; I guess my PC isn't the strongest kid on the block (8GB RAM), but it took 4,5 hrs to render 8 sounds (cymbals/hi hat/snare)

Jman

Quote from: InTheBox on April 22, 2015, 04:53:37 PM
It seems every cymbal I loaded to a cymbal channel in Eco was fine. I used the perc channels for the rest, perhaps that didn't work that well. Will try the malfunctioning ones on cymbal channels again.

Yeah, it is always best to use a corresponding type. SDSE is setup this way. For example cymbals can have very long samples, so SDSE is setup to allow for that .....

Lustar

Exactly, that would explain the results. It could work for some sounds but it's always better to load the instruments in the corresponding channels in BFD.

For the cymbals make sure to adjust the Gain in the Unit settings if a pad seems too hot (unless it's already set to 1). There is also a separate gain setting for the bell (cup).

8GB is ideal but the time it took seems really long. Hats and cymbals can take a long time but still... If possible, put the VST sound files on the fastest drive and set Destination Path in SDSE/Options/General to a different drive. USB external drives can be very slow.

(I sent you a mail yesterday, I hope it didn't get caught in a spam filter)

InTheBox

Yes, thank you :)

You really support your product well :)

Jman

Quote from: InTheBox on April 23, 2015, 08:18:58 PM
Yes, thank you :)

You really support your product well :)
He sure does .... I don't think I have run into anyone that is better at providing support above and beyond .... like Lustar.

Murgen

Quote from: Jman on April 23, 2015, 08:26:14 PM
He sure does .... I don't think I have run into anyone that is better at providing support above and beyond .... like Lustar.

There are 3: 2Box, JMan and Lustar. We are not worthy ðŸ'ðŸ'ðŸ'ðŸ'ðŸ'
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

Jman

Actually Murgen ..... you are a pretty important guy when it comes to 2Box ..... with your presence on a lot of the internet forums and sites you get important info and details about 2Box out there!  :rock: