News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Pearl Epro live

Started by GravityRobert, January 12, 2010, 10:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

puttenvr

No that's right. The amount of memory has nothing to do with the quality of sounds. But with a limited memory you can't load tons of VST sounds (which are huge) in the module. So the Pearl module is very limited, almost useless in that way. Then the internal sounds must be the selling points. And unfortunately (like a lot of people say) they aren't

roel

some guy on the vdrums.com forum about the pearl e-pro live and the 2box kit:

Pearl E Pro's What a ripoff

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You guys called it, you proved that this new incredible drum brain is nothing more than a Alesis DT 10 Brain with a different outside case and a few different Icons. I saw all the youtube videos for Alesis and it is the same dam thing. The rip off will be when they take these aftermarket Superior, BFD, Oceanway customized kits and sell each kit for 1/3 to 1/2 of what the whole dam toontrack library would cost. They say the internal memory is a miniscule 128 MB, now compare that to the 2 BOX brain which has memory in the gigabytes, this RED Box/Alesis thing can only handle ONE, only one of the aftermarket kits loaded into memory, so you will have to carry a laptop anyway, so why not just go this all the sounds on a laptop running VST's and have all the kits you could possible want. This Pear thing is going to tank, and bite the dust. The 2 BOX kit may hold the answer but their pads look like fragile crap, cant believe ex DDRUM engineers would produce such a flimzy piece of poop rack and pads. The best thing I have seen is Mikey VPT's RET stuff, where they setup packages tweaked and ready to play, I may dump my TD 20 Pro and go for one of their packages. I just wanted to be able to try one out before I buy again, I am tired of spending enormous amounts of cash on mediocre sounds.

UC

QuoteThe 2 BOX kit may hold the answer but their pads look like fragile crap, cant believe ex DDRUM engineers would produce such a flimzy piece of poop rack and pads.
I think we all know that's a bunch of arse.

Not saying his opinion is worthless or anything but if If I had $4-$6k to spend on e-drums I'd get a couple of 2box kits ;D

Travis182

Quote from: UC on January 24, 2010, 05:12:28 PM

Not saying his opinion is worthless or anything but if If I had $4-$6k to spend on e-drums I'd get a couple of 2box kits ;D

The thing i love UC is that he says it "looks" like fragile flimsy crap, once again someone who probably hasn't sat down and played one.

roel

thats the correct answer!  2box :rock: ssssssss!!!!

wbrs

Maybe he has  played the kit. Might try another angle to discredit  him. Even if they're stronger than they look they do look weak to a lot of guys. I don't see that changing. It's hard to believe you and 2box didn't see that coming. If you're going to resent people thinking your kit looks lame all I can say is try to get over it. Everybody I know laughs when I show them a picture. Now thats my friends. Yours may really think there the greatest. I haven't had this problem with any other piece of equipment before. You guys better resign yourself to some negative feedback.

wbrs

It's nice to know we can count on you to be objective.

wbrs

Quote from: Travis182 on January 24, 2010, 05:29:32 PM
The thing i love UC is that he says it "looks" like fragile flimsy crap, once again someone who probably hasn't sat down and played one.
Is that right UC?

wbrs

l think it will hold up well if set up properly in normal situations. I don't think it was designed strong enough to withstand the more brutal environment of being a demo at a busy music store. The hats are going to be out of calibration a lot. Many will expect it to work when they play them and even if they were willing to take some time to get set up won't know how and likely get little help. Even though I still think 2box has the edge at the moment over all the others in performance it might not demo as well.

hwasser

For those who haven't seen that Pearls E-pro module (red box) is the entire same as Alesis dm10, look at the pictures here:

http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,257.30.html

I think this actually is a scam. (especially with their misleading commercial)

UC

Quote from: wbrs on January 25, 2010, 02:03:06 AM
Is that right UC?
you're quite right wbrs, i don't know if he's played one, which is why i stated for the record that i'm not saying his opinion is worthless, i was merely refuting his claim that the kit is a flimsy piece of crap. and if money really was no object i would really, honestly, rather have a second 2box kit (and maybe a third!) for the same money some people spend on a td20...it's not just fanboyism, i really don't think roland's machinegun modelling justifies the ridiculous price tag. gotta remember i was in the "ddrum is best" camp, but i feel i've spent enough time testing roland kits on which to base my opinion :)

Calimero

But you are missing something here,he is not saying that he wants to buy a td20 instead of a 2box
he owns a td20 and is looking for something else.
You say that the pricetag of the td20 isnt justified because of the machinegunning.You might be right there,but he obviously doenst want to switch to a complete set of 2box drums because he thinks that the hardware doesnt justify that pricetag,and in a way I hink he is right as well.we now only talk about the rack being stable or not,yet those who see the set for the first time also have to deal with the hihat and bassdrumpedal.So he needs to get a full set of drums and use not even half of it,since he has some really good hardware already.It makes sence that he would be looking at vst/laptop oprions as well.If you just look at that as a bunch of arse or look at it as a basher post,you miss a potential big market for 2box.The only thing they need to do is get that module out fast,with the sound editor working like a dream,if possible in some decent sturdy steel housing...do that and 2box will win the war.Staying on this path with this hardware is going to be a long long road with lots and lots of headaches.While the asperines are right here..
http://www.drum-tec.de/sets-drumtec-c-79_113.html

UC

Hi Calimero, I actually agree with you on a lot of points. Hard in forums not to come across as only 'black and white'...I can do grey too :)

I saw the bit where he mentioned he's a TD20 owner, so yeah my argument is perhaps a little unfair. My situation was that in the last few years I nearly made the decision to buy a TD20 a few times, after having had my DD4 for 5 or 6 years, but I could never justify the spend to myself (perhaps if drumming was my day job...). I ended up putting meshes on my DD4s and getting BFD2 (and I'm glad I did).

As for the 2box hardware, I'm using my own double kick pedal, hihat stand, and some gibraltar-type clamps from my old rack, for my DDrums. The only reason I don't use the supplied hihat is because of the overcrowding on the 2box rack (which by the way is happily hosting  an extra couple of DD4 cymbals and solid aluminium cast precision pads!).

2box themselves have said many times that they fully expect people to use their own hardware for any 'pro type' use - ie gigging etc. But what they have supplied does just fine if you're just starting out. As for the looks, well, to each his own. If / when 2box release the extra cross bar for the rack, I'll be buying one, as sure the rack has a bit of an oscillation, but it hasn't slipped once so far.

I think you're right - getting the module out would not be a bad idea at all.

They'd have to call it the 1box though :)

Scottie

Quote from: wbrs on January 25, 2010, 01:00:54 AM
Maybe he has  played the kit. Might try another angle to discredit  him. Even if they're stronger than they look they do look weak to a lot of guys. I don't see that changing. It's hard to believe you and 2box didn't see that coming. If you're going to resent people thinking your kit looks lame all I can say is try to get over it. Everybody I know laughs when I show them a picture. Now thats my friends. Yours may really think there the greatest. I haven't had this problem with any other piece of equipment before. You guys better resign yourself to some negative feedback.

Hi wbrs

What country are you from?

Thanks
Scott

Calimero

Quote from: UC on January 25, 2010, 10:51:25 AM

2box themselves have said many times that they fully expect people to use their own hardware for any 'pro type' use - ie gigging etc. But what they have supplied does just fine if you're just starting out. As for the looks, well, to each his own. If / when 2box release the extra cross bar for the rack, I'll be buying one, as sure the rack has a bit of an oscillation, but it hasn't slipped once so far.

I think you're right - getting the module out would not be a bad idea at all.

They'd have to call it the 1box though :)

It would be a very good idea,but only if it has the fully working editor ,compatible to apple and pc,and compatible to a fast amount of excisitng hardware.
I could go on for hours on this subject,I understand the idea of the more pro drummers switching to other hardware and that the starters among us go for the full 2box set option.Yet I doubt that this is going to work in reality since there are things that need to be taken in consideration with that.I know 2box is reading along,that's why I post here as food for thoughts.I can be contacted for a full presentation and I'm not that expensive at all..   ;D   :animal: